weak legs

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: weak legs

Postby tireesix » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:51 am

I am only 28 lolol. I am suffering with weak legs, been going on some months now. There are times when they suddenly go really weak and wobbly and I either do a controlled slide to the floor or I fall to the floor (2-3 times a day at the moment on average). It stinks. I told my GP and she said 'not much we can do about that'.

Great, nice to know where to get help lol.
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:31 am

tireesix wrote:I am only 28 lolol. I am suffering with weak legs, been going on some months now. There are times when they suddenly go really weak and wobbly and I either do a controlled slide to the floor or I fall to the floor (2-3 times a day at the moment on average). It stinks. I told my GP and she said 'not much we can do about that'.

Great, nice to know where to get help lol.

Have you tried using a walking stick?
I hated the thought of using one but now i have got used to it and cant be bothered what people think about it.
It has helped me many times to stay on my feet rather then fall to the ground.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby LinzWorld » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:26 pm

Myofascial release therapy isn't available on the NHS - the few physios that do know any tend to be private. However, it can be very effective if you can find a good private practitioner.

GPs get little to no training in Fibro and the NHS doesn't cope well with Fibro at all, so there will be lots of things you need to learn about and do or find yourself.
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi

I have week legs, been told its cfs. I've also been told exercise make them stronger. I do find this helps alot actually, but it will always be there.

My doc said expect some falls, which upset me a bit, because now i'm worried when my legs are weak if they are going to give way. I use to just carry on and always made it home, now i'm very cautious as to where i go.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby tireesix » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Yeah, I use a walking stick now. I tend to use it if I have no choice but to walk places, if I am mostly busing it I try to avoid it. It also depends on what I am carrying. I have no car and my DH has health problems himself so we are pretty stuck really. I will also on occasion take the step son out to help me (my other 3 kids are too young at present to act as a pack horse).
Katie X
tireesix
UKFM Member

Postby Miss sleepy » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:01 pm

My sticks have been a godsend, I was sick of struggling around the place at school so ordered some nice purple crutches and have felt a lot more confident in the classroom and getting around. Even managed to take puppy a little way into the woods last weekend :)
My DP does tease me tho that hes got an older woman now (hes 33 I am 25!) but have to admit... a lot of the time I just feel like an old cripple. I keep telling myself get it together I can walk perfectly fine but my legs dont seem to obey my brain anymore :crazy:
Never judge a day by the weather.
The best things in life aren't things.
Speak softly and wear a loud shirt.
Goals are deceptive - the unaimed arrow never misses.
Beauty is internal - looks mean nothing.
No rain - no rainbows.
Miss sleepy
UKFM Member

Postby jackiemills » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:46 pm

jelly wobble legs hate them, if i feel like that i dont go out without my crutches wont take the chance of falling, i dont care what anyone thinks or says any more. Dont strugle anymore it really is not worth it.
jackiemills
UKFM Member

Postby tishytash » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:43 pm

I was born with talipes(clubfoot) and because of all the operations i had as a young child my legs have always been not quite right, but never used to give way till 4 or 5 years ago, when i was about 15/16, although walking hurt i was rather active doing sponsored walks (these half killed me anyway!) and going everywhere with the guides which once i turned 16 i had to quit because i couldn't keep up. now if i stand too long only 5 or 10 mins if i'm not moving i just go down backwards they shake like crazy first then just stop working. i went to one of my hamster show with some friends without my chair i went down at speed and scared my friends who had to basicly carry me to the car i think it gave there daughter a real fright! normally i will only go out without my chair with my mum because she is the only one who knows how hold me up or to stop me before i get to that point.
tishytash
UKFM Member

Postby fairy dust » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:07 am

hi there- i know how you all feel -im 29 and also have the weak legs,some days it feels as if i cant stand without falling,my oh will help me off sofa and hold onto me until i feel able to walk,i have been givern crutches and had many years of physio - which in my opinion hasnt helped me at all, i also have a wheelchair now as walking for more than 15mins kills and my hips and legs refuse to function normally,Daisysp8 - i also have boubts where all i wanna do is cry,and i do much to my familys confusion as i look fine then just burst into tears! although this fibro sucks big time its nice to know im not alone and others are able to help with these horid things we have to endure :grouphug:
please bear with me - my brain works fine its the body that lets me down !
fairy dust
UKFM Member

Postby smiler22 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:25 pm

im very much like the last two posts on here. have ha dlots of physio for leg probs over the years since i was two. and have ha dweak legs all my life. im lucky i can walk. it has come out now though that alot of my medical notes from early years have gone missing or simply wasnt filled in properly. the phyio and hospital staff mentioned i have a slight curve of my spine but it was never looked into. i also have bad ankles which have a name but it has never been looked in to what caused this condition with my ankles. some have said i was let down by the nhs when i was little but i dont know if i actually looked in to it whether i would be any better of. phyically.
live life to the full as life is what you make itxx
smiler22
UKFM Regular

Postby Melissa » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:48 pm

Weak legs was my first symptom. Not so much actual loss of muscle strength as a feeling of unsteadiness when walking. Doctors couldn't find anything wrong. This came on very sudden when I was 21. I had been a runner and dancer and went from normal to having to use elbow crutches in about 3 weeks. That was over 4 years ago and I have not been able to walk without crutches since then. I will say that the weakness does not seem to be getting any worse. I've managed to stay fit by walking 1-2 miles per day and, if anything, the leg weakness has gotten a bit better but I'm afraid to try to walk without the crutches.
Melissa
UKFM Member

Postby taz79 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:57 pm

I also suffer with this and have done for many years now and Im only just 30.
It is one of the worst things when your young and needing a wheelchair to leave the house, and just lately I have had weak arms too so have to rely on my partner to push me everywhere!
I think it is one of those things that we just have to live with but if anyone knows of another way to cope with this I would be grateful to hear.
Taz xxx
taz79
UKFM Newbie

Postby LinzWorld » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:50 pm

Myofascial release and physiotherapy really helped me with this issue. :)
I run FibroAction, a small national charity raising awareness of Fibromyalgia Syndrome. I am not a qualified healthcare professional. If you would like medical references for any facts quoted, just PM me.
LinzWorld
UKFM Regular

Postby yowie29 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:42 pm

hi hun, im in the same boat. My legs feel pretty weak when i walk sometimes. Sometimes i feel like my legs are going to give way and i panic that im going to collapse or feel the urge to sit down on the pavement and look a proper ninny lol. I havent gone over yet but its probably only a matter of time.
xxx
yowie29
UKFM Member

Postby taz79 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:23 pm

I had physio a good few years ago and to be honest all it did was take what energy I did have and give me more pain!
Tp be honest I think I scare my doctor with the fibro as he wont chnage any of my pills just finds someone else to send me to like the community mental health team or gets me rediagnosed all over again! I am waiting to see a doc in London now, its a long way to travel as Im in Northamptonshire but noone around here seems to know anything at all.
But my legs are one of my worst symptoms
Taz
taz79
UKFM Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia