need some help/advice

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

need some help/advice

Postby pinklady » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:45 pm

I have recently been told I have fibromyalgia, but I am not too sure that is what it is. I was wondering if these are symptoms of fibro?
I have had this now for 18mnths after I had an operation for cancer. I Since then I have been left in a lot of pain which started around the area I had the op, then gradually over the next 6 mnths it moved into my spine and then slowly into my other joints (wrists, nuckles, knees, feet etc). It feels as though my bones are being crushed.
On top of this I haven't slept more than 4hours a night for just as long due to pain, my glands in my neck are permantly swollen and have been for the same amount of time, I have headaches which I cannot bare any pressure on the back of my head and I get horrid hot flushes, mainly of an evening.

I was refered to an arthristis doc and in 5 mins of seeing him said it was fibro. He took me off DF118 (morphine based meds which I had been on for 9mnths to control the pain) and put me on amatriptalyn of an evening. I am taking 75mg a night, but apart from making me dizzy and woozy they don't do anything for the pain! he also told me to exercise daily which isn't always easy when you feel so rough. He just keeps telling me it gets easier and I have to basically get on with it.
The pain was that bad yesterday I took amatriptalyn, df118 and ibrufen just to have one day of no pain. drug od not best idea, but I slept the whole day.
Does this sound like fibro?
pinklady
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kristine » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:16 pm

Below is a list of all the symptoms that can be attributed to fibro, they are many and varied. Do you have lumps and bumps? Most people seem to have a large lump on the back of the neck and down the thigh muscles, I thought I had very good muscles in my legs, but no, they're gone now (I am on Guai Protocol) so now I have to go to the gym to build them up again. :roll:

Central Nervous System:

Fatigue, irritability, nervousness, depression, apathy, listlessness, impaired memory and concentration, anxieties and suicidal thoughts. Insomnia and frequent awakening due to pain result in non restorative sleep.

Musculoskeletal:

Pain and generalized morning stiffness could arise from muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia of the shoulders, neck, entire back, hips, thighs, knees, ankles, feet, inner and outer elbows, wrists, fingers, and chest. Injured or old operative sites are commonly affected. Though fibromyalgia is described as a “non-articular” disease many know better: Joint pains with or without swelling, redness and heat are frequent. The litany includes foot or calf cramps, numbness and tingling of the face or extremities.

Irritable Bowel:

(Often called leaky gut, spastic colon or mucous colitis). Symptoms include nausea (often brief, repetitive waves), indigestion, gas, bloating, pain, cramps, constipation alternating with diarrhea and sometimes mucous stools.

Genitourinary:

Common are pungent urine, frequent urination, bladder spasms, burning urination (dysuria) with or without repeated bladder infections and interstitial cystitis. Vulvodynia (vulvar pain syndrome) includes vaginal spasms, irritation of the vaginal lips (vulvitis) or opening (vestibulitis) and painful intercourse (dyspareunia). It typically mimics a yeast infection but without the cottage-cheese discharge. Intense PMS and uterine cramping are common. Symptoms of fibromyalgia are worse premenstrually.

Dermatological:

Various rashes may appear with or without itching: Hives, red blotches, itchy bumps or blisters, eczema, seborrheic or neurodermatitis, and rosacea. Nails are often brittle and of poor quality and hair falls out prematurely. Strange sensations are common such as cold, heat (especially palms, soles and thighs), crawling, electric vibrations, prickling, super-sensitivity to touch, and flushing that is sometimes accompanied by sweating.

Head, Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat:

Headaches (migraines), dizziness, vertigo (spinning) or imbalance; dry eyes as well as itching and burning with or without sticky or crusty discharge upon awakening; blurred vision; nasal congestion and post-nasal drip; painful, burning tongue, mouth and abnormal tastes (scalded, bad or metallic); ringing in the ears (tinnitus) or lower-pitched sounds; ear and eyeball pain; sensitivity to light, sounds and odors.
Miscellaneous Symptoms: Weight gain; low grade fever; lowered immunity to infections; morning eyelid and hand swelling from fluid retention that gravitates to the lower extremities by evening where it stretches tissues causing the restless leg syndrome.

Hypoglycemia Syndrome:

This is a separate entity. Thirty percent of female and twenty percent of male fibromyalgics suffer both conditions (fibroglycemia). Symptoms greatly overlap those of fibromyalgia, but sugar craving accompanied by tremors, sweating, anxiety, panic attacks, heart pounding, faintness, and frontal headaches, especially if hunger induced, are solid clues to the diagnosis. Hypoglycemics must follow a prescribed diet or recovery will not be complete even with the reversal of fibromyalgia. (See Hypoglycemia for more information.)
Kristine
UKFM Member

Postby somebody_else » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:17 pm

The amytriptaline isnt supposed to be a painkiller, it's to help you get deep sleep because a lack of deep sleep can cause fibro symptoms. You wouldnt know initially if it was working, as it'd take a few weeks of getting normal sleep before the symptoms started to ease off.

Swollen glands, widespread pain, headaches and exhaustion can all also be symptoms of chronic fatigue or M.E. Did your rheum do the tender point test? I was under the impression that you cant be diagnosed unless 11 of the tender points hurt when pressure is applied (they say over 4kg of pressure, but most of us yelp if you just touch some of them!) but I might be wrong.

If you have got fibro though, low-impact exercise, such as swimming, or yoga and stretching every day can really help. Read up on all the articles - pm me if you want some good websites. CFS and FMS symptoms often overlap. I have both, though I started out with just fibromyalgia as a child, and developed CFS a couple of years ago quite suddenly (there was a sudden HUGE increase in fatigue and before then my lymph nodes would hardly ever swell up and go painful, now they are all the time. *sigh*)
Hashimotos, CFS, FMS, PTSD, Anxiety. Gosh, I have more letters than the doctors who diagnosed me!
somebody_else
UKFM Member

Re: need some help/advice

Postby Jull » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:05 pm

https://authorityremedies.com/how-to-ma ... -stronger/ perhaps these tips can help improve your nails :)
Jull
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia