jams etc.

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

jams etc.

Postby cherryblossom » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi All. I have just spent most of the day making jams, cheeses (jam version) and pickling :D . I love doing this as I try to make as much use as possible of all the lovely fruits and veg we have growing. I try very hard not to let anything go to waste. Today I made plum jam and plum cheese (like a jam but sieved after stewing so no skins etc. then cooked like jam, a set puree really) from the tons of plums I got from my dad the other day when I visited him and also made cherry jam from some lovely cherries one of DS's customers gave him. Probably just as well as I had my eye on my neighbours tree as usual but this year the gorgeous bright cherries shrivelled up and died overnight :yikes: ! Dad said it was too dry :( .

I also pickled some huge beetroot that DS had grown and frozen some fresh runner beans! Tomorrow I need to do something with all the plums still waiting to be used and a few left over cherries. Think I'll turn them all into a fruit pie filling and freeze them! Then ask DD to go and pick my crop of blackcurrants and what's left of my gooseberries before the birds have a party! Soon be chutney making time! yaay ! The last couple of years when DD was at college we were often up at 3am still doing her college work and eating crackers and home made chutney - heaven!

In the meantime I'm going to go and crawl to bed as I really hurt now and really need to go to Bedfordshire! :penguin: :snore1:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Re: jams etc.

Postby snoozybunny » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:03 am

Oooooooo yum ! :P
I love making jams, jellies and pickley things too - I've got a yummy recipe for pickled plums ( a real oldie handed down ) which is fab with turkey - I usually make it for Christmas pressies - I'll try and dig it out and post it in the next couple of days if you'd like it ? Then of course there's my striped spicey oranges and apple & lemongrass jelly and red onion & cranberry relish and.....well you get the idea :lol: Oh mustn't forget the sloe gin or orange whisky but that's definitly one for the Autumn :wine: Hope you have a restful sleep ! Night night.
snoozybunny
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am

mmmmmmmmmnnnnnn sounds delicious, I love jam but no wonder you hurt cherry hope you're pacing :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby cherryblossom » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:00 am

Ooohh, snoozybunny, your recipes sound great! Would love to try any recipes anyone has, I like playing with recipes and trying something different! I'm trying to pace myself but I do have to keep reminding myself to do so! I just so look forward to this time of year. When I was younger I used to be out in the fields all day with my dad loading hay and straw by hand, we had no fancy things to help us. I could load up 16 tons in a day with him and was as fit as a fiddle and very toned! Oh, the good old days eh? Except they aren't actually that long agao! But now, as I can't do the field harvest I now make the most of it doing something with fruit and veg then giving alot of it away for Christmas and the village fayre etc. If any of you have any then please put them on here or pm me, I'd love to know more! Anyway, take care all. Cherry :hugs: :hugs: :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Return to Craft