Gardening

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Gardening

Postby will h » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 am

I thought id see if anyone here is into gardening. Its not really a craft as such but i thought this would be the best place for the subject.

Ive been a gardener for 5 years now working all over the south of england in private gardens and on commercial sites.

I absolutely love it its my passion aswell as my job even though its hard work especially in winter time when its freezing cold but i cant imagine doing anything else with my life.

My main interest is in perennials and ornamental grasses. I love prairie planting and my gardening hero is piet oudolf. If you dont know him check out some of the garden's hes's designed there beautifull :D

If anyone would like to know anything ill try and answer any questions, it would be great for me to feel usefull while im stuck here in pain! :flowers:
The dirtiest water produces the most perfect lotus...
will h
UKFM Member

Re: Gardening

Postby denys » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Some members are into growing their own veg etc so hopefully you should get some replies soon Will, I love seeing nice gardens but unfortuantely am unable to sort my own out :(
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby will h » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear that denys :hugs:

Growing veg is something i know very little about, ive never had the opportunity to do it as ive never had my own garden. Ive just moved into a new house and i finally have a bit of outside space but its all paved so ive got lots and lots of pots out there.

My dream is to start my own nursery and sell plants and also have lots of animals too. I would love to grow all my own veg and be as self seficient as i can. Its a shame that as we have evolved weve lost that basic instinct of being in touch with nature.
will h
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi

I too like my garden but as the fibro limits me I keep it to just a few plants etc.
If you could advise Will I would be very greatful my problem is I face south and the bottom of the garden
has a 6ft ish wall and I have a patch of soil in front of the wall so I want to know of some plants that
can go by the wall that only needs a little sun and ofcourse little care :)

Good luke with your future job.

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby denys » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Keep that dream alive Will, you never know what the future may hold :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby will h » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:35 am

Hi pixiecat youve got lots of options most people see shade as a problem but its a good thing as it means you can grow lots of plants that thrive in that condition. What is your soil like wet or dry? Also what are you wanting to do with the space eg do you have any styles you like? :D
will h
UKFM Member

Postby Amberwillow » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Hi Will
I love our garden... a few years ago it was a bare area of grass and horrible. My OH set to work and last year, it had gone so well, we bought a greenhouse. We've grown some of our own flowers from seed and he's started growing veg this year (not much but it's all an experiment) but we love it.

My limits are seed planting, dead heading and going round taking photos... he does everything else as I just can't manage it.. but it's been a pleasure seeing it grow from a horrible heap into a little sanctuary for us. Next year, I'm determined to try and grow some lovely Dahlia's from seed (the ones with the big heads). I grew lots of cosmos this year..and we also have little poppies too.

I think it's great that you're doing something you love and it's outdoors and is so therapeutic. The great thing about growing things, is it can't be rushed can it? Which is nice when you're not feeling well and have to sit and let nature take it's time. :D
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”—Thomas Merton
Amberwillow
UKFM Member

Return to Craft