[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Fine Silver Fingerprint Pendant

Fine Silver Fingerprint Pendant

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby chookie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:57 pm

Hello :D

I have tinkered with, made, sold and taught fine silver jewellery for 4 years. I teach from home in my kitchen where my kiln lives and it's nice to have such a cosy place to do it. Thought you might like to see what I get up to, when my FM isn't making me snooze :roll:
Attachments
20100406_2276.jpg
20100406_2276.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 5849 times
chookie
UKFM Member

Re: Fine Silver Fingerprint Pendant

Postby loubie » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:50 pm

wow thats lovely :D
:welldone: :wine:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Amberwillow » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:03 pm

That's gorgeous.. how fab, having your own kiln. :)
“Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time.”—Thomas Merton
Amberwillow
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:34 pm

Thats lovely. :welldone: :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Hope* » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:47 pm

Love it! xx
*Hope*
UKFM Member

Postby Salgor » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:59 pm

Wow, that's fab. :welldone:

I've just started to take an interest in making some jewellry but am only starting with something a bit easier, some beaded elastic bracelets and earrings. I hope that it will help me to relax. My husband is interested in doing some wirework as well.

Sally
Salgor
UKFM Member

Postby caterpillar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:48 am

Wow! That's beautiful. I'm really interested in silver smithing, but don't really know where to start and imagine its an expensive hobby to have?? Can you tell me more?!
caterpillar
UKFM Member

Postby Sazzle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:33 pm

I did 3 dimensional art and design at college way back in the last century! We did work with siver, nickel silver, copper and titanium. Was wondering what method you used to make that pendant. Was it using the silver clay or was it casting? Either way it looks really cool. I loved making jewellery, when I wasn't narrowly missing serious injury by bits of red hot flying metal, or proving the teacher wrong when he said you can't cut yourself with a coping saw.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby leakaycra » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:30 pm

wow
that is beautiful bet you have some lovely jewellery in your collection, do you sell these to anyone or is it just your pupils, would love to see what else you have done. you are so lucky to be talented.
:-) :-) :-)
leakaycra
UKFM Member

Postby MCT » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:03 am

Love it!

I'm really wanting to try & make a fingerprint in silver clay - got a new great niece on the way and would really like to have a go, got everything I need (the clay & the moulding putty) but I've just not got the confidence to work with it these days. I've not made anything with it for at least 5 months cos I started to panic when I was working with it (probably cos I keep thinking how expensive it is to waste if things go wrong).

I've only made about half a dozen pieces, this is the second one I made - it has a small pear shaped Tanzanite in the centre.

MCT
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:45 pm

That is gorgeous, I'm sure you'll get the confidence up to make that peice for your great niece ;fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby sailor-ichigo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:08 pm

that is very beautiful! i tried a jewellery making course but the teachers were awful! im very jealous of your talent! keep making things, love the metal work.
Charlotte x
sailor-ichigo
UKFM Member

Postby KTN86 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 pm

Oh wow they're stunning Chookie , well done you :)
Well this is a magical trip to the wrong side of the wardrobe.....
KTN86
UKFM Member

Postby alice » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:26 pm

Hi I,m new to the forum , I know this discussion was in feb but hoping for some encouragment I,d love to do some silver clay
I too bought a tiny pack of silver clay but havn,t the courage to start using it owing to the cost . I used to be a potter and stained glass artist , but havn,t been able to do anything except a few paintings for 10 years . Ive had F.M probably since the age of 15 , I did work until a virus totally finished my work life 10 year ago.

Ive got clinical depression owing to a conflict of drugs then being put on an antidepressent that I was allergic too had to go through withdrawal . plus lots of stress as i now have to wait 7 years for my state pension am worried about loosing my benefits , My husband also has F.M and hasn,t been able to work full time since he was 40 but thankfully he has a small ill health pension and won,t be tested by atos as due to retire next year so we can probably stay in our home if I loose my benefits.

I need to do something to take my mind off things and maybe eventually make a few things to sell. Any ideas of how to start with jewellry. My hands are weak , my energy levels are very low I get things done by lying down after every task , I like sewing too can sit for about 1/2 hr on a good day . Iv,e been grieving for my life lost to this illness but must get on and make the best of my life . I have two great grown up kids two beautiful granchildren and some great friends and a wonderful husband .
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer
alice
UKFM Newbie

Postby chookie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:26 pm

oh crickey! I didn't mean to just leave a photo and then never return to the post.... :oops: So many lovely comments and some of you who wanted some answers/advice, I'm sorry, I think that it's the FM forgetfulness :shock:

Firstly, thank you so very much for the kind comments about my work, it's made from a substance called Precious Metal Clay and it's 99.9% pure Fine Silver when you fire it. It looks like a little piece of putty and it's quite heavy due to the silver particles that it's made up from, in fact it's recycled from either the dentist or film industry :-D

I did do a term of Precious Metal and Gemstone Jewellery (not clay, pure silversmithing) at Birmingham University School of Jewellery a couple of years ago now. I left due to going into something so soon after my business went into administration at the time of the recession. Basically, I had a breakdown and left, took some prescribed meds and took another 2 years to get over it all.

Which brings me back to today :crazy: I am now at college studying a PTTLS City and Guilds Level 3 (Preparing To Teach In The Lifelong Learning Sector) that is needed to teach in Further Education. I also signed a contract for my new workshop unit in my local market and I plan to teach craft from there instead of in my kitchen at home.

Alice, I see that you only posted a little while ago, so this will still be relevant to you. This book is great for complete jewellery making beginners and has lots of diverse projects that will keep your imagination ticking over. Nothing is taxing nor will they take away your mind or body strength. Then there is your beads and things..... try www.jillybeads.co.uk as they have all you need to get you where you want to go. Everything is very beautiful, inexpensive and they are a great company to deal with. Don't be afraid to ask them for more advice, they love to hear from their customers.

Bye for now!
chookie
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Craft