[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Knitting - advice on how to start please????...

Knitting - advice on how to start please????...

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Sa_1967 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:19 am

Hi all,

I need to do something - my head is driving me mad since I've been off work with FMS plus other issues. I also have carpol tunnel in both hands, but need to do something other than sitting in front of the TV - which boes me stupid!!!!!!!!!.

I used to cross stitch and knit - I can remember that you have to cast on / off - knit and pearl - but for the lov eo f god, please don't ask me how to do it because I can't remember.

Can anyone advise of any on line sites, books etc that can assist with the basic instructions as I've seen a kit in Aldi with needles, wool to knit a scarf and then was thinking about knittin g blankets for dogs trusts etc - so useful to help me and for a worthwhile cause. I will have to buy everything as have nothing left as it was years ago that I knitted with my dearly departed Nan.

Many thanks in advance, gentle hugs and spoons sent to each and everyone of you.

Regards,

Sarah :-) xxxx
Sa_1967
UKFM Newbie

Re: Knitting - advice on how to start please????...

Postby denys » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the hugs and spoons Sarah I really needed them so sending some back to you, as you used to knit you will soon remember once you start.

Have you tried youtube and also there is a book around called idiots guide to knitting, its one of the yellow books that are around on every subject under the sun. If you have a local library it might be cheaper to borrow one instead of buying.

Be careful you only do small light things, so knit squares to turn into a blanket as anything heavy will give you pain and pins and needles with you carpel tunnel :goodluck1: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby pixiecat » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:45 pm

HI Sarah, I have used these sites to find simple ideas and patterns the very pink give you video guides too

www.ravelry.com www.verypink.com

Hope these help you get started.

:hugs: and spoons to you
Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby Radar8407 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:52 pm

Do you have any family members that could help? My mum is teaching me. It's a struggle but Internet sites confused me.
When your life feels lost. Fight against all odds! Never give in. Never back down!
Radar8407
UKFM Member

Postby Sa_1967 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Hi Denys / Lorraine,

Many thanks for the advice - will give them a try - hopefully will come back to me like riding a bike LOL!. Although, riding a bike isn't something I can do anymore :-). I will also heed the great advice about completing small (lightweight) items - hadn't thought o fthat one :-D .

Radar8407,

Unfortunately, no I have no family members or friends that I'm aware of (as have learnt since being diagnosed that my friend list has become a big fat zero) that can teach / assist me.

Here's hoping that you all have a bearable evening and hopefully get some pain free zzzzzzzz's tonight.

Many thanks for all yr wonderful support - I'm beginning to wonder why I haven't looked at this site further before. Keep up the great work everyone - this site is invaluable!!!!!!!.

Gentle huggles ((((((( x )))))))

Sarah :sleep:
Sa_1967
UKFM Newbie

Postby Radar8407 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:23 pm

Hi Sarah

If you'd lived near me I could have helped you! They key part is just to do wee bits at a time because it's sore knitting!

I have to agree, the forums have been wonderful. I am happy I found everyone.

I hope you're okay gentle hugs :grouphug:

Nic xx
When your life feels lost. Fight against all odds! Never give in. Never back down!
Radar8407
UKFM Member

Postby charley » Mon May 14, 2012 10:28 pm

I know this is quite late, but youtube has really helped me if my mum has been too busy to help me! There is a channel called knitting tips by judy and her videos are generally really helpful! She shows basics like casting on/off, knit and pearl and then more complicated stuff like changing colour or complicated stitches like fishermans rib! :)
Here is the link for it :)
charley
UKFM Member

Postby helen virgo » Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 am

Knitting is great fun and very relaxing but as others have said just do light things. When you've mastered the basics if you want somethihg good to knit for you could make items for shoeboxes. I'm sure you've seen the shoebox gifts given to children around the world who have nothing every Christmas. One of the charities doing this is Operation Christmas Child and on their website you can find knitting patterns for teddy and clown puppets and purses for girls etc. I've made the clown puppets and they're lovely and also easy to make.
Helen x

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia
helen virgo
UKFM Member

Postby saf » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Sarah
There are some very good video tutorials on Youtube that you may find useful. Very clear demonstrations on everything from casting on to more complicated stitches. My gran taught me how to crochet many years ago but like you I needed a refresher course. It is so thoughtful to want to do some small thing for an animal charity. I used to belong to the Cats Protection League and also helped with another animal shelter. They are always needing small blankets for the animal beds. The great thing is the animals always appreciate what we do and never criticise our efforts and the volunteers are always grateful to hear from someone else who cares. I have been sewing again recently. Slowly but surely.......all credit to you that you are thinking of ways to make another creature's life better even though things are not easy for you.

Gentle hugs......be sure to let us know how you get on
saf
UKFM Newbie

Postby bluesheep » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:25 pm

I know it's ages since you posted for assistance but I'm new here. I was in same boat I knew how to knit but had forgotten, I picked up a copy of simply knitting and in the back it has knitting and crochet instructions plus it teaches different stiches every month to try out as you get more confident. I have also used magazine to learn to crochet and I switch between the two depending on where my pain is and use them to distract myself from the pain. Do you have a local wool shop or Hobby craft? I found both of the ones near me have knitting clubs/classes which would get you some face to face guidence on where to start.
I now knit for charity as I find this gives me a feel good boost as I can't work but I can feel like I am doing something useful in the world by helping charities and I find some charities have donations of wool that they give out to people who are knitting on there behalf.
bluesheep
UKFM Member

Postby CottonSocks » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:11 pm

I taught myself to knit with YouTube! amazing what you can do with the internet. Kellys sock class is one of the best tutorials I've seen.
CottonSocks
UKFM Member

Return to Craft