craft thread

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

craft thread

Postby denys » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:33 am

Hi Folks this is a place where you can discuss what crafts you do to take your mind off your fibro etc. you can upload photos as you do now but the size limit is 2mb or use photobucket etc to show files that are bigger than this will add a link to help :wave: :wave:

http://photobucket.com/

http://www.flickr.com/
Last edited by denys on Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added links
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Re: craft thread

Postby nutty1 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:04 pm

thankyou denys :clap:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:08 pm

Can't wait to see what's put on here, altho I'm useless at anything arty and crafty, I love to see the wonderful things that are made by you clever and gifted people :hugs: :grouphug: :hugs: :grouphug: :hugs: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby cherryblossom » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:15 pm

What a great idea! :clap: It will be a good inspiration for everyone and a good topic of conversation (hopefully! lol!) .

Well, I'll start. I like to crochet, only blankets at the moment , I have a couple on the go at the moment, maybe as time goes onI might get better, I've done them on and off since I was little. I'm also going to join the weaving and spinning group so I can learn to spin our fleeces into something useful as well as learn how to use my spinning wheel. I also enjoy drawing and painting, another thing I've been doing since very young. I also like making jams and chutneys in summer for christmas for everyone. Failing all this I might actually fall asleep lol! I'd like to chat to anyone else who likes doing likewise things. All the best, Cherry :blowkiss:
cherryblossom
UKFM Member

Postby carolnotts » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:57 pm

What a lovely idea :D

Me next lol i make cards and ATCs which are little hand made cards 2 and a half inches by 3 and a half inches and you swap them with other crafters. I also knit and cross stitch. I will upload photos once i put them on my new laptop :) xx
carolnotts
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:13 pm

:woot: :woot: :clap: :clap: this is sooo good :D

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:15 pm

I started making cards for christmas last year, my neighbour and good friend Jeanette encouraged me. I had intended to start but kept putting it off, anyway my OH thinks she has created a monster as I make them almost constantly now.

I joined the docrafts forum and have put my first lot on there but hope I've got better recently. All my cards were sold in London on a stall to raise money for the childrens cancer ward at UCH . So I felt as though I was doing something useful for once :lol:

Anyway I'll upload some when I have time to scan them in and I'm feeling brave enough. :crazy:

I used to love knitting and cross stitching but my hands wont let me now, I drop too many stitches and am left in too much pain after trying. I also used to bake but thats gone for a burton too.
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:36 pm

OOOOH does baking count as well :?: :?: I do bakings for DS and OHs lunch boxes. Todays creation is Apple and Blueberry cake, using apple puree to replace half the fat in the cake, makes it a bit healthier so not quite as guiltyfied.

I'm no good at the artistic decorating side of things tho, just have lots of ideas for combinations and ingredients :wine: :wine: :wine: [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate]

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:54 am

Certainly does count Flup, you are creating something and the recipes may well be what someone is looking for :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby budda » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:57 pm

I think this will be a very good thread, will be good for all of us to see different things and peoples hobbies. :clap:
budda
UKFM Regular

Postby Adele » Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:50 pm

fluppypuffy - that recipe sounds great. please share xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:16 pm

Here's the basic recipe, I'll put the variations I've tried at the bottom. The recipe is designed to be done in a food processor, but works well with an electric hand mixer as well.

175g plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp bicarb
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g sultanas
250g stewed/pureed apple or apple sauce
100g butter/marg, softened
150g caster sugar
2 eggs lightly beaten
(If the stewed/pureed apple or apple sauce is sweet, I reduce the amount of sugar by 25-50g so it isn't too sickly sweet)

Preheat oven to 180C/gas mark 4
Line and grease a 7"/18cm square cake tin
In a food processor, cream the butter with the sugar, then gradually add the beaten eggs, processing between each addition
Add the stewed/pureed apple and mix well
In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt, bicarb, baking powder and cinnamon
Stir the sultanas into the flour mix
Add the flour mix to the processor and blend all together
Pour the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes
After 30 minutes, turn the oven temperature down to 160C/gas mark 3 and bake for a further 15-20 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch
Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack to finish cooling

Eat and enjoy :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Variations:-
Add 1 tsp vanilla extract instead of the cinnamon and use blueberrys instead of sultanas (Using fresh blueberrys give a more sticky, moister cake)
Try nutmeg instead of the cinnamon
Try adding chopped stem ginger and ground ginger instead of the fruit and cinnamon

If anyone tries the recipe with any other combinations of flavours, post them on here for us to try as well :clap: :clap: :clap:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby MonkeyFeatures » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Oooo can I join this thread please? :wave: :clap:

I love craft, I do a bit of everything :D as I used to be a designer i'm pretty creative and really enjoy it, will post some pics of my recent bits later if anyones interested! x
I have Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, HMS, Psoriatic Arthritis & Endometriosis. Yep I dont do it by halves!!

Mummy of 2 beautiful children My hubby is my rock!
MonkeyFeatures
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Of course Cherry this post is for everyone :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby MonkeyFeatures » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:14 pm

I'm just trying to wriggle my way in as i'm a newbie :lol: thank you x :hugs:
I have Fibromyalgia, CFS/ME, HMS, Psoriatic Arthritis & Endometriosis. Yep I dont do it by halves!!

Mummy of 2 beautiful children My hubby is my rock!
MonkeyFeatures
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Craft