[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Those who use salt dough

Those who use salt dough

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Those who use salt dough

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Firstly you have inspired me to give it a shot :D

I've never really done much craft type stuff before. I wanted to as a child but I was so messy with it due to the dyspraxia, and also so rubbish at it that my Mum banned messy stuff like paint, playdough etc when I was 6 as it got everywhere so I never got to practice.

So we have lots of tea lights at my flat at the moment as my bf bought a massive bag cheap last winter when we had a week's worth of power cuts to light our flat (the bathroom had no window so all day we had to carry a lit candle in and felt very Victorian). We don't have many holders though (4) so we rarely use the candles, just occasionally with our dinner for example. I'm a massive fan of tea lights for romantic purposes and also I love a nice candle-lit bath. So I've decided a good way to give salt dough a crack is to make some candle holders with it. It doesn't matter if they don't look amazing as they'll still be functional. I also think it would be quite nice if I could get myself to the stage where I can make some little bits which are nice enough to give as gifts to friends etc.

Making the salt dough etc looks simple enough, the question I have is - what type of paint do I need to decorate them? Would also like to get creative with some glitter etc on them as well. There's a shop in my home town I used to buy all my haberdashery bits from, plus my fabric for Textiles GCSE from which had a craft section with all sorts of paints but there's no where like that in my part of London that I know of and I wouldn't know what type to get? Is it just normal paint or do you have to buy a specific type? I can't go crazy as am unemployed so limited on the funds but would like to give the crafting a go as need something productive to do which goes beyond flap jack making, especially something which won't expand my waistline :P
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: Those who use salt dough

Postby denys » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:10 am

Hiya, if I remember rightly when I made things with the kids, we just painted them with the paints that we got from the early leaning centre, have a look on the internet, but I'm pretty sure it was the poster paint type, (like the ones the kids have at school) you can get them from hobbycraft, tesco,asda anywhere like that :goodluck1: with it and dont worry how your first attempts come out just keep going and have fun :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:11 am

Thanks Denys - will have a look on the ELC site - I used to love those paints at school - the smell of them was fab. Not as good as that super awesome glue they kept in pots which peeled off your skin in a majorly satisfying way though.

I'm going to have fun with this I cant tell :D
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby nutty1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:37 pm

:wave: my kids 25 years ago :yikes: just used ones in pots prob as denys said poster paint .have fun :lol: another one we used do was clay plant pots mix pollyfilla up and stck shells on and varnish
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby MonkeyFeatures » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 pm

I just used acrillic because thats what I had in the drawer and I watered it down a bit too, I dont think it matters as long as you seal it somehow afterwards. I use PVA glue to seal mine :D Good luck & make sure you put pics up! x

Mummy of 2 beautiful children My hubby is my rock!
MonkeyFeatures
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi

If you're looking for good priced items asda are pretty good for paints etc, also google yellow moon they sell a big variety of craft items, we get a booklet ever so often through school but I believe you can go bye from them. Also have a look in the crafts section on ebay and better still look in the crafts section in the wholesale lots for some real bargains :D

fab
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
fabme
UKFM Member

Return to Craft