Pain in hands when knitting

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain in hands when knitting

Postby ouchisme » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:52 am

Morn all

I've bin knitting for roughly 5yrs. Not v fast or competent, but i do enjoy the craft. I decided that i had to find sumthing to do wen sitting/resting, otherwise id go :crazy: . I suffer with really painful hands and fingers just from gen everyday use. Does any1 no wat i cud do to help that prob as at the mo haven't picked up my needles for a couple of wks? Im missing it terribly as i find wen i knit that it frees my mind up. Have loads of stuff flying thru my head and its all 'shouting' at the same time. Knitting quietens it all down. Find it v theraputic. Thanx in advance 4 any ideas or gen info.
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Re: Pain in hands when knitting

Postby viota » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:30 pm

have you tried a wrist support? that might help you use your hands.It works for me im getting a stronger one (ordered in )at the moment and the support i have now helps me to do some stuff but the strong one should help me type and write.
viota
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:59 pm

I do cross stitch and paper embroidery and wear supports on both hands.

Hope you manage to pick up your needles again soon.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby carolnotts » Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:39 pm

i'm knitting just now and struggle with pain in my fingers and elbows :( i went thru the pain barrier just so i could knit some bits for my grandaughter being born 7 months ago :( i may try a support aswell. hope you manage to get knitting again :hugs: :hugs:
carolnotts
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Not able to knit at present and i'm missing it terribly. But i have promised myself that i WILL find a pattern for myself this wkend. The myself part is that ive not knitted a single thing for myself yet :lol:
Has any1 thought about having a virtual knitting circle/stitch & .... (u no the word) on the crafts side? Sort of decide wat the project is going to be and give tips and advice when needed to ppl who want to b part of it?
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:38 am

Cant knit anymore and I did enjoy it but the ache is just to bad together with the pins and needles :( :( :(
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:10 am

i used to knit last time was 2 years ago ,but made me hands so sore and they kept clawing .tryed my wrists support but makes it even harder :cry: enjoy looking at everyones work though :clap: :clap: :blowkiss:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby ouchisme » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi all

Had a dr appt this morn to have a gen discuss bout pills and what happens next etc. My ESR levels are still high from my last bloods (+ my protein at 4, dont no what that means?) so local hosp are referring me to have an ultrasound on both my hands, just to make sure nothing is going on at all my joints. I no it sounds daft, but kinda hoping that it isnt fibro related cos then mayb something can b done. Really fed up that doing everyday tasks (never mind any crafts) is causing soo much pain. Nevermind when they decide just to drop something when they want to! My girls have had enough of me throwing the remote at them :oops: Looking for a knit pattern for a hot water bottle cover in some back issues of my knit mags. Something quite simply so that concentration, or lack of it, wont be a problem. I no that a student designed and is now selling aids for people with artiritis (excuse spellings) that hold the needles in ur laps and all u have to do is manipulate the yarn. A fairly new thing, and just being trailed now. Mayb that wud help :?:
Hope everybody who has bin viewing this topic are all fairly pain free and having a good day in general :hugs:
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby bevy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:16 pm

I have been knitting for a few years, and am not very fast, or particularly good at it. But I enjoy knitting and find it very therapeutic. I also get pains and pins and needles in my hands when knitting. What has helped me is to limit the amount of time you knit and have regular breaks from it. Also I tend to only knit small/fast projects. I have also found that using bamboo or wood knitting needles are easier on the hands than platic or metal ones.And my third and final tip is wear crafters comfort gloves while knitting. They take a bit of getting used to but they help me. My gloves are made by Creative Comfort.

Hope this helps.
When you look at me, tell me what do you see?
bevy
UKFM Newbie

Postby ouchisme » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:37 pm

:wave: Bevy

Thanx so much for ur kind reply. I still haven't sat down and had a quick look thru my patterns that won't take to long or require alot of thought. I keep forgetting to, or by the time i've remembered i'm too tired to do it :lol: Good old catch 22. I will check out the creature comforts and see how much all the different products are.
Hope u r knitting in comfort and enjoying a beautiful day where u are
A soft :hugs: from me to u
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby pixiecat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Hi

I too enjoy knitting when I can and get the pains in my hands, but havnt thought about using the wrist supports but will
give them a go and hope I can get going again.

Here is a link for a hot water bottle cover hope its what your looking for

http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/NR/rdonlyr ... _Cover.pdf

or try this one

http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Knitting/P ... _cover.htm

Lorraine
pixiecat

Postby hamstergirl » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 am

Hi

I love knitting, I learned to knit when I was 12 years old, and i knitted my first jumper at 13 and it took me a whole year because I insisted to knit in four ply against my mother's advice. Whenever I was sat down my knitting needles came out.

That was until I was 24 and I started suffering with the pain in my arms. I found it hard to take that I would never knit again. My husband bought me a couple of knitting machines but it just isn't the same. They are now in the loft and have been for some time.

About four years ago I took up card making, it's okay and a lot easier for me to do on my arms but I really do miss knitting.

Thank you for the link, I might try and give these ago.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 pm

hi every1

Pixiecat:- thankyou so much for taking the time to think of me and find a couple of patterns for me. I've not had the energy to cast on, but i'm firmly tellling myself that i wont give up my knitting cos of FM. I don't have many pleasures anymore and its not taking 1 of the last 1s. So there :tongueout: to FM. I hope our paths cross again and we have a nice chat.

Lorraine:- i'm so sorry that you've given up 1 of your crafts cos of physical boundaries. Does making cards give you lots of joy? What sort of cards do you make? Are you normally very crafty or is it a past time that you've been doing since your FM dx? Hope to talk to you again soon.

To all. I hope you are'nt in too much pain. For those of you that are having a bad time of it the moment, please rest and look after yourselves properly. Loads of soft :grouphug:
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby hamstergirl » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 am

Hi

I don't enjoy making cards as much as I did knitting. If I could ever knit again I probably wouldn't bother with card making, but card making as giving me something else to focus on.

I think what I don't like about card making is that it can take me a good half an hour to get out my cards and all my bits and bobs. It's about two or three trips up and down the stairs because I have nowhere downstairs to store my stuff. By the time I've done that I sit down before I start making them to have a cup of tea. Then I have to repeat the process to put them away. So if I only have a couple of hours pretty much wasted an hour getting in and out my stuff.

If I had a craft room, I would be able to leave my stuff out and just go in and out to make a few cards as and when, I would love it so much more. It just seems too much hassle to me ust to make a few cards.

At least with knitting you just pick it and put it down with no effort at all. I was very good at knitting and was soon able to knit without looking and able to watch the TV at the same time. I love doing fairisle, cable and lacy patterns.

In fact reading this back its just made me realise that I really really really do miss Picking a pair of knitting needles up.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:53 am

:wave: Lorraine

I'm so soz that u made u think about how much ur missing knitting :hugs: I find that when i knit is stops all the 'white noise' in my head screaming at me. Thats y i'm hoping to knit something small(ish) v soon. Just so a feel that i'm accomplishing something and to try and 'calm' my head down. All the palaver for your card making must tire u out? I've not got the patient or concentration levels to contemplate something so involved as card making.
Hope u r having a relatively good day to day.
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Craft