[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Pain in hands when knitting

Pain in hands when knitting

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Pain in hands when knitting

Postby hamstergirl » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:04 pm

03042011097.jpg
03042011097.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 3279 times

I started knitting this 6 years ago and gave up after three years when i only have complete a back and majority of the front. I keep getting it out and looking at it in the hope that i will be able to complete it. Doubt it though but you never know, there may be better pain relief in the future (In my dreams)

I've tried to post a piccy of it but not sure if its worked.

you have made me sad thinking of knitting, i think all my family have knitted and seeing all my wool in the loft just wish i could join them.

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Lovely shade of blue Lorraine. :fingerscrossed: you get to finish it one day. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:29 pm

It looks lovely Lorraine :hugs: :hugs: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you can get it finished at some point :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby princess » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:07 pm

If you find knitting is too hard for your hands - try crochet its easier on the joints.
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby clarkey » Sun May 15, 2011 7:33 pm

Hello everyone ,
If you have painful hands when knitting have you tried the bamboo needles , I use them all the time . dont use metal needles they are the worse kind

happy knitting
clarkey x
clarkey
UKFM Newbie

Postby hamstergirl » Mon May 16, 2011 8:29 am

Hi

My grandma taught me to crochet. I find that worse for me because you have to twist your wrist a little and i find it more painful.

Hi clarkey - I bought some bamboo needles (mainly because if you look at my metal needles they are bent) because they were suggested at the shop i went to get new needles, to be easier. But i find that the stitches dont glide along very easily and i'm always having to push them which i was finding painful to do, so i ended going back to my metal ones

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:04 pm

hi hamster girl

soz for a v v v v late reply. Plz forgive me? I use bamboo needles already and find them alot better for me than metal needles :dunno: I've still not cast on properly yet as been a v hectic couple of mths, exams, gen family life, Probs with absent parents.... the norm boring stuff :lol:
I HAVE got the wool and I KNOW what i want to knit so i'm half where there :lol: promising myself to cast on before the end of the week and knit at least 1 row. So i'm definitely going to b a v v v good girl and pace my knitting so that i can get back into my craft. All excitied! God, i'm such a sad sod. Nevermind, being :crazy: is much more entertaining :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hope u have been fairly well and life is just tickling along nicely lovely soft :hugs: from me to you Jenny
Had symptoms for 5yrs. Dx February 2011
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby ouchisme » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:26 am

:wave: to all knitting ladies and gents

I picked up my sticks yest evening and i HAVE started to knit something :woot: :clap: I'm just starting a hottie cover and its really basic etc so it won't make my head feel all mashed up with trying to concentrate so much. I only worked 16 rows as i thought i've got to learn to pace myself (as with every aspect of life (apparently) and i had a small ache in my shoulders and neck etc. Was really worried about hand pain this morn, not totally unfounded either. I put on reflective heat fingerless gloves on. My hands are really small so they aren't snug on my hands/fingers. Around my right thumb, back/front of wrist, pointing finger/knuckles aches/throbs abit 2day. Not totally unbearable but i will see how i get on etc.
Hope to hear from other crafters x
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Clarkey thanks for the advice regarding bamboo needles, I bought some and some wool and have started a matinee jacket for my daughter who is expecting her 3rd child in September, havent knit anything since my 2nd grandson was born 3 years ago (managed a cardi for him) so am grateful I can now try to knit something for the new baby :woot:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby ouchisme » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:28 pm

hi denys

I have a collection of bamboo needles and you will notice the difference in weight with metal needles. I like to use where i can circular needles and knit back and forth. If i have say a sleeve to knit for example, while i'm knitting the sleeve ends in my lap and i don't have the weight of it causing pain to my hands/wrists/shoulders. I don't own a full proper set, i just buy a cheap jobbie from my local yarn shop. My wish list is to have 1 of the circular needle sets and be able to afford to buy nice decent proper yarns. God i'm easy to plz :lol: Hope that idea helps any1 else? I think you can also get crochet hooks contacted to a plastic line thingy 2.
Hope ur day has been fairly k x
ouchisme
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:08 am

I cant get to grips with the circular needles never have been able to :yikes: I have 2 sets of metal needles mine and my mums, never ever thought of using the bamboo till clarkey mentioned it and I got some lovely soft baby wool from Abakan my local craft store, need to get some pretty buttons now, didnt like the ones in the store so will try hobbycraft tomorrow. Up to the arm shapings on the back now really pleased I'm managing at the moment but dont think I will be able to do anything too big, baby cardi's are about all I could cope with at the moment :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: I'll finish it and post a piccy
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby spidergirl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Hi Ladies
I have problems too, with knitting and have recently bought some needles on line called Casein needle.
They are made in Austrailia and are made out of a milk product :crazy: I know this sounds nut but I found they help me greatly.
They cost about £4 a pair, I just clicke on the name Casein and found alot of them on line.
:goodluck2:
Spidergirl
spidergirl
UKFM Newbie

Previous

Return to Craft