[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Urges! Not rude ones though! Baking!

Urges! Not rude ones though! Baking!

A place to discuss any sort of crafting and show off your work

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Urges! Not rude ones though! Baking!

Postby nana » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:13 pm

I have no idea why this happens, whether its how Ive always been and the FM makes me aware of the fact that I cant always do stuff on the spur of the moment but today I have the urge to bake lots of cakes.
I cant because I havnt been able to go shopping and I dont have any flour! bagger!
I love to bake though, the smell goes all through the house and it reminds me of my Nana and happy hours spent with her when I was a child. If my Granddaughter is here she puts her apron on and 'helps' me, pretty much the same way I used to help my Nan. So baking isnt just about eating lots of stuff that puts weight on you. Its more about connecting with and making memories for my Granddaughter.
Im not saying I dont like eating my cakes though!
I think its also a way to satisfy the creative side of my nature, I used to paint but that is a more difficult, much more time consuming, patience demanding, emotionally draining and physically difficult, past time.
I think I have always been a bit more of a spontaneous, spur of the moment type of person but the FM makes it difficult to be like that so its hard to accept that 'I cant do it today' and plan to do it another time. It is down to changing the way that I think, so maybe instead of getting a buzz out of doing something immediately I need to learn how to enjoy making a plan to do something. We all know that planning something can be hazardous because of how much moods and ability to do stuff varies but Im not sure how else you do the 'pace yourself' thing.
Anyway...does anyone else get the urge to bake?? What are your favourite recipe's??
Nana
nana
UKFM Member

Re: Urges! Not rude ones though!

Postby viota » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:19 pm

well i dont get urges to bake but to buy stuff lol i like to bake cookies if i ever do bake which is rare.
viota
UKFM Member

Postby nana » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:24 pm

nana
UKFM Member

Postby viota » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:32 pm

mine taste really nice when i make them.I think they are a good idea for lexi.She can help mix the mixture as it gets a bit tough to do it.the dough gets a bit stiff.
viota
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:11 pm

hi nana,

i love baking. it has happy memories attached to it for me as well. i love the recipes in mary berry's "ultimate cake book". not the latest edition but the one before. the cakes and biscuits are delicious but easy to make.

i like her approach to baking - throw all the ingredients in a bowl and beat together. friends always ask me to make her chocolate brownies.

if you order online today, tesco can probably deliver in the morning...... i think it is important to listen to our urges, especially the chocolatey ones.

adele xx
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby nana » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:24 pm

OMG! It never even dawned on me to do my shopping online!
I buy loads of other stuff online.....LOL...errr can I blame fibrofog for that or do I just have to admit to being a dumbo! LOL
Thanks Adele
nana
UKFM Member

Postby Adele » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:11 pm

it's the fibro! i only started food shopping online about 3 weeks ago. the pain i suffered going to the supermarket was stupid. :crazy:

if any of your shopping arrives shortdated or not up to standard complain. i had over £10 refunded by tesco last time and £5 off my next shop as compensation, i then forgot i complained and complained again and got another £6 refunded. it turned out to be a cheap shop!

there is also an offer on at the moment, £10 off your first shop. i'm going to try a different supermarket for my next shop to get another introductory offer.

the driver brings my food into the kitchen and offers to put the frozen food away for me, very nice.

lastly, have a look at http://www.approvedfood.co.uk, they sell discounted food at silly prices. happy shopping :blowkiss:
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:28 pm

i wouldnt shop any other way now,i hate supermarket shopping and plus for me it is a 40 mile trip...it is well worth than £3 to 5,for a nice man to bring to your door.....i havent really had any issues with tesco with short dates....here here to supermarket online shopping! :clap:
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:32 pm

I do a bit of baking, I've currently got some dates and apples cooling to go into an old family recipe for a fruit loaf that my nan used to bake. It was passed to my dad, and now I make it, it the smell of it cooking and licking the bowl out that gets me every time. I used to stay with my nan during the day in school holidays, and then when I started work, to save on travelling during the week I'd stay over at her house. There was always that special cooking smell in the air that made it feel so special :clap: :clap: I do miss her, she's no longer with us :cry:

I bake partly to help fill the time, and also for my son's school lunchbag. He's a bit strange as he loves proper homemade food and is pretty health aware. I make cakes, buns, flapjack, cookies and anything else I think I can have a go at. The cookie recipe I use is for raisin oat cookies and I've used it for quite a few occasions over the years. I've tweaked and modded it to make [chocolate] [chocolate] versions, fudgey versions and all sorts of fruit combos. I'll dig out my book that has got it written in and put it on the thread, I'll also move the thread into the Crafts bit as we've got a few bits about cooking and baking in there, so you might get a few more responses in there.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Urges! Not rude ones though! Baking!

Postby nana » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Thanks Fluppy! OO the recipe for date and apple sounds really good! I have about 10lbs of apples in the freezer, still from the Autumn and a few different apple recipe's would come in handy! We got a bit fed up with plain old pie or crumble!
Cheers!
nana
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Raisin Oat Cookies

50g dried apricots
125g butter, at room temperature
75g soft brown sugar
100g self raising flour
75g porridge oats
50g raisins

Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180c
Line 2 baking trays with baking paper
Cut apricots into small pieces
Cream butter and sugar together
Add flour, oats and fruit, mix together with hands
Roll mix into into balls, about the size of a ping pong ball, and place on baking trays, leaving a gap around them to allow room to spread
Flatten each ball slightly, then put in the oven and bake for approx 15 minutes, until golden brown
Leave to cool on the trays for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack until cold

For [chocolate] covered cookies, once the cookies are cold melt 100g [chocolate] put a little on each cookie and leave until set
Swap the fruit for 100g of chocolate chips
Add a little cocoa or drinking chocolate to the flour
Add 100g fudge pieces instead of the fruit

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Try this linky nana, it's got a recipe on it for a cake using stewed/pureed apple. I've tried it with dried fruit and it had a nice texture, also tried it with fresh blueberries and it tasted good but was a bit soggier

:oops: :oops: just had to edit my own post as I put "try this kinky" instead of "try this linky" who said these urges weren't rude ones :clap: :clap: :clap:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nana » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:01 pm

:oops: :oops: just had to edit my own post as I put "try this kinky" instead of "try this linky" who said these urges weren't rude ones :clap: :clap: :clap:[/quote]
OOO LOL....
Thank yooooou!
nana
UKFM Member

Return to Craft