[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - WEIGHT GAIN/ WEIGHT LOSS PROBLEMS....

WEIGHT GAIN/ WEIGHT LOSS PROBLEMS....

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

WEIGHT GAIN/ WEIGHT LOSS PROBLEMS....

Postby sjc » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 pm

:wave:

Hello folks, hope you are all ok right now......

Just wondered if any of you suffer with issues with your weight as a result of being poorly..... I have put quite abit of weight on since my having my health issues many years ago, and I am finding it hard to loose the weight as well....

I know that alot of people either suffer with dramatic weight gain or loss when they are poorly, so just wondered how you are affected. How do you cope with your health problems as well as weight issues, and have you had any support with overcoming your weight problems...

I think that alot of those with fibro are prone to weight issues due to struggling with walking and mobility issues......, I know that a relative of mine with fibro also suffers with weight issues - I know that it is not easy to loose the weight whilst in severe pain......I have known doctors to not very understanding about loosing weight, whilst suffering fibro......

Love to hear your thoughts folks....Take care.....have a good day ahead.
sjc
UKFM Member

Re: WEIGHT GAIN/ WEIGHT LOSS PROBLEMS....

Postby laurac » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:58 pm

lol well as i put in another post today, i went to the drs as my back is really bad and has a solid sort of swelling and he told me its not swelling its fat and the only thing that can help me is to join weight watchers!! :cry: ive an under active thyroid and even though im on thyroxin im still putting the pounds on
laurac
UKFM Member

Postby Duffinamdi » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:47 am

I am piling on the pounds, I haven't been skinny since I was a child.
I am also doing less walking. I used to walk every where now I get the bus.
I can't stop eating [chocolate] I eat high calorie food thinking it will give me energy, and it don't work :roll:
Hope everyone has a good day, it is going to be cooler :clap: :clap:
Ann
Duffinamdi
UKFM Member

Postby lindaloola » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 am

I also crave chocolate and high calorie I think its my body crying out for energy ..and no it doesnt work :banghead:

I try all kinds of supplements like chronium to try and curb the cravings,feeling heavier makes you feel worse. If anyone has any ideas of supplements that may help? although I have probably tried everything, Ive got a massive hat box full of stuff. :roll:

I even tried some diet pills off the net called apedexin or something like that ,they did work but they made me feel really dizzy and ill so I figured it was a bad idea.
right im going for some :cake: :pigoink 1:
lindaloola
UKFM Member

Postby yummymummy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:17 am

Ive put on lots of weight through lack of motivation cus im tired all the time so not feeling like excersise but eating sugery things again for energy. my boobs have got really big! which doesnt help the pain when its all in my spine and neckagain when your in pain you want to treat your body not make it suffer more with hunger pains too. :roll:
yummymummy
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:18 am

My rheumy said that weight gain is an issue even without meds. Lack of exercise is an issue but I walk my dogs for an hour a day and still struggle. He said it was all to do with the body not knowing "where it is" so sort of in safety mode. which can be keeping fat. The other problem is he said many with fibro are approaching "that certain time"lol so menopause doesn't help.

I gave up all alcohol and choc for over a month, didn't shift an once. This is not normal. I Am not huge but was always slim so find it really hard. Technically think I am just outside BMI but only a very little. But it just really bugs me.

Now on Omemprozole (for another issue) and that isn't helping :)

Advice? Well exercise is vital I think. I do watch alcohol but frankly a good :wine: is nice as is a bit of choc [chocolate]
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby lindaloola » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:07 am

yummy mummy you are right when you feel so bad anyway you dont wanna be hungry as well. you will do whatever maks you feel better
and if thats chocolate or wine so be it. :wine:
If I was settled down I wouldnt worry but Im single and I feel like Im going to stay single if my belly is spilling out over my jeans. mind you I never go out to meet anyone anyhow :roll:
Im just destined to be a cat lady for ever :cat2: ah well less stress! :mrgreen:
lindaloola
UKFM Member

Postby paulajmoore » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:10 am

Hi,

I have had Fibro/CFS for 10 years but my weight has only become a real problem in the last couple of years. My GP thinks it may be due to medication or some other medical cause. You do end up in a vicious circle as the more weight you are carrying the worse the pain and mobility problems but you struggle to exercise. I have been going to Weight Watchers but even though my diet is good the weight is not coming off. I wish you all the best xxx
paulajmoore
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 am

I, too, have put on lots of weight since I was diagnosed 9yrs ago. I've joined various things, tried the Cambridge diet - all have eventually worked, slowly - 0.5 - 1lb a week on average then I can keep it off for a while (it's actually slowly creeping back on and I don't realise) and suddenly I'm heavier than ever before! Horrible feeling - I was always very fit and active and, as I've managed to do less and less exercise, it's become harder to lose. Until... in march I went for a free health check at our local surgery - discovered I had hereditary high cholesterol but don't want medication (I take Omeprazole and now iron as I was also anaemic but get anxious about side effects of stuff and have had unpleasant experiences with painkillers and amit type stuff) so have seen a health trainer who assured me my basic diet was ok but not eating enough protein (not eaten much meat for thirty years) - in the form of fish and nuts and seeds rather than pulses and maybe to cut out a few more carbohydrates as I can't exercise. i stick to that Mon - Fri pm then let myself have a few treats over the weekend. i've lost nearly a stone and, for the first time in ages when dieting or maintaining, I'm not feeling hungry or deprived. I think I can stick to this, my newly acquired sweet tooth after the cambridge diet (in 2004, I had my gall bladder removed in Jan 2005 because of that - beware, something else they don't tell you!!)has faded and i'm feeling more positive, sleeping slightly better - but still not motivated yet to do much exercise, hoping that will come. It IS hard for us and it isn't fair that doctors don't take into account our side effects from meds, mobility and lack of motivation problems, but we have to try to keep some self esteem and being able to control our weight has a huge part to play in that.
Also, where is the lump in your back? i have a fatty deposit at the base of my neck that makes me look stooped and fat even when I'm not overweight - have read in a book re FM that it's another sign of FM!!
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:15 am

I've shuffled the thread over to the weight issues bit of the forum as it will probably get a better response here :wave: :wave:

I have weight problems thanks to FM as well. At one point I had virtually doubled in weight, and not only looked awful but felt it as well :facepalm: :facepalm: I started to reduce all the unhealthy stuff and increase the healthy stuff which helped with increasing energy levels a little. I was also walking to and from school twice a day as DS was at primary school, and it gradually started to go down until I had lost about half of what I'd gained.

For some unexplained reason tho, it has started to creep up again and I've put about half of what I'd lost back on :facepalm: :facepalm: Meds seem to be the main culprit as I still eat more of the healthy stuff compared to the unhealthy favourites, and still do plenty of exercise thanks to being walked by the :dogrun1: :dogrun1:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby sjc » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:41 pm

:wave: I know what you mean folks about the weight issues with fibromyalgia......

I am quite overweight....I am tired most of time, my energy is low and I cannot seem to get any motivation in me since being ill.....I might have a few days where I not to bad, but most of the time I feel rotten.....Also, I crave food all the time, which apparently some ppl do get when they have fibro/depression...

People may say loose weight, but it aint easy.....and why is it always thin people that are telling to loose weight, when they have no idea what it is like to suffer with one's weight. :?

Anyway, take care folks. :wave:
sjc
UKFM Member

Return to Weight Issues