[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Is It Possible To Lose Weight On Pregabalin?

Is It Possible To Lose Weight On Pregabalin?

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is It Possible To Lose Weight On Pregabalin?

Postby shopaholic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:57 am

I have been on Pregabalin for 18mths. In the beginning I took it like a general Joe Blogg would take an aspirin for the occasional headache I was so scared of it and it took a good 3mths for me to take it as prescribed.

I currently take 450mg daily, since August 2010 I have put on 4 stone.

I have always been an advocate of weight watchers and had got within 6lb of my goal weight, I was 12 stone. Then ever so gradually the weight loss stopped and started creeping up without any changes to my eating habits.

In August this year I asked my GP to weigh me on his new calibrated scales, I was horrified at what I weighed, 14st 8lbs. Today I have got on again and I'm 16st 2lbs. :swear1:

Someone out there must have lost weight On this med without resorting to yet more meds. I need help not just for the sake of my health, but also for my already low self-esteem and confidence.

Here's to getting positive news :fingerscrossed:
shopaholic
UKFM Member

Re: Is It Possible To Lose Weight On Pregabalin?

Postby kazjoanie » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with your weight with Pregabalin. This is my second week on the same drug and I was made aware that weight gain can be a side effect so I have been careful what I eat and my gp has asked me to cut out sugary foods and drinks, preservative, additives, coffee, junk foods etc. as these take longer to breakdown in your body and can cause tiredness which I have found awful to cope with.

It hasn't been easy but I actually lost 1kg the first week :shock: I have to be aware that I need to keep on a new eating plan but I think it will be worth while as Pregabalin is helping me to some degree.

Hope my experience will help you. Keep in touch and we can help each other.K
kazjoanie
UKFM Newbie

Postby *Hope* » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:35 pm

I put on a lot of weight while on gabapentin, however I am now loosing weight while taking pregabalin, so in answer to your Q yes it is possible to loose weight while on pregabalin.

I guess the Q would be why do you think you are putting the weight on? I know for me that being on gabapentin made me eat like there was no tomorrow, I craved sweet things and I felt possessed and was eating uncontrollably......I guess that might be why I put the weight on lol! However since starting pregabalin that obsession for food has gone and I am slowly finding the weight is going down.

But......that is me, we are all so different and what works for some doesn't work for others etc.

Why do you think you are putting on weight?

R xx
*Hope*
UKFM Member

Postby shopaholic » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Hope

I think you've probably hit on something - the cravings for sweet stuff, carbs etc and the uncontrollable urge to fill my boots with food are the exact things I am struggling with on Pregabalin.

Maybe I should switch to Gabapentin!
shopaholic
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:50 pm

There could be something in it shopaholic :? :?

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:54 pm

Did you switch meds shopoholic?

I was on put on gabapentin when I was first diagnosed but it made me the same, craving and always hungry. It also lowered my mood so I went back to my GP and he took me off it. He decided not to try me on pregabalin as it's a very similar drug and I'm on duloxetine and amitriptyline aswell as painkillers now. I've managed to drop some weight in the last few months by cutting out gluten, milk and all the foods that I know irritate my IBS (peppers, smoked foods etc).
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:46 pm

I've put a lot of weight on whilst being on gabapentin. I overate at xmas but before that I was doing ok. Wasn't eating loads of chocolate or coke or anything. I did have a better appetite but I'd always underate I think the combination of not being able to exercise and eating properly has put the weight on. Trying to lose it but always hungry when i cut my calories.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:41 am

nellyphant think i will ask to switch meds as the gabas are my demon at the moment so may ask for the duloxetine or something else instead but do feel the gabs numbed the pain so hope they are as good.

:-)
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Lubilou » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:53 am

I originally put on weight but have just lost a stone and 3/4. It can be done - but, it's hard work! Most is dietary - this is what i've been doing! viewtopic.php?f=25&t=12052
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Return to Weight Issues