[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - weight issues

weight issues

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

weight issues

Postby K8t85 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:13 am

I know im probably going to get people having a go at me telling me im silly but i dont know where else to talk about this, i have had weight trouble ever since i can remember, i have tried diets, excersise is out of the question and ive been told by doctors the weight is making things worse, they gave me diet pills that didnt work. now i feel like my only option apart from a gastric band my gp wont give, is to make myself sick, for three or four days ive been trying to do it, but as my bathroom is downstairs and my husband has caught me out and wont leave me alone, i am so fed up of everything going wrong and the effort is too hard what else can i do to loose weight. Feeling so miserable. :( :(
K8t85
UKFM Member

weight issues

Postby Joanna1 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:42 am

Hi, as sumone that has fought eating disorders for years i would say please please dont do it. It makes ur fm far worse aswell as other probs. i am finaly recovering but been a long hard struggle. B strong! X x x
Joanna1
UKFM Member

Re: weight issues

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:43 am

I'm not going to have a go at you with the making yourself sick :hugs: :hugs: If I did that, it would be a case of kettle calling pot black, as I've been there myself :snowgrumpy: :snowgrumpy: :snowgrumpy: I started when I was a teenager after we moved house and everything in my life was turned upside down, and I thought it was a way to get some control back in my life. And I've been back for several more visits over the years as well :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

It made me lose weight, but while I thought that was great with how fast it was coming off, it was also causing me other problems that I couldn't/wouldn't see, both physically and psychologically as the more that came off, the faster I wanted to lose more, so started with the laxatives as well as vomiting. To cut the long story short, I ended up at the drs because of it, and for several years was under quite close watch in case I started again. The thing that stopped me was a close family friend saying how horrible, gaunt and generally ill I was looking :shock: :shock:

I've gained at lot of weight since having FM, it's something that has seemed to affect a lot of us. In my earlier days of it, I went back to using my old "tricks" again, and to my horror, I found it didn't work this time round :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: As I was bringing a lot of stuff up each day already thatnks to how meds and things were making me feel, I just thought I could add a little more :puke: :puke: :puke: and shift it all :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

If you need to lose weight, it's much better and safer to do it in a proper way. If you ask at your surgery, there may be a weight loss scheme being run in your area. We have one that all the practices are part of, and it's a 12 week course aimed at helping people to eat well, along with losing weight. If not, maybe your GPO could put you in touch with a dietician/nutritionist who could be of help. And of course there are the well known slimming clubs. I've found, after a bit of hunting online, the various calculators and things used for Weight Watchers current approach, so you could even try something along the lines of ProPoints with just an initial outlay,and without having the weekly class fee to pay out for the class.

Try to go and talk to someone about your weight worries rather than trying to purge yourself, it will only make things worse, both now and in the future :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby K8t85 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for your replies, i am going to book an appointment with my GP and tell him how i feel and see what happens from there maybe he will help a bit more. I saw how my sister done it for a few years and have seen that it worked for her and she didnt seem ill or look ill she seemed to be able to contol herself and not go over the top but thats just from watching her i havnt brought it up with her or talk to her about it so it might be that she has had problems. i dont think i could bring it up with her though. i guess i need to remember to take my tablets as i keep getting depressed everytime i forget for a couple of days so its probably why im feeling like this. thanks for your advise x
K8t85
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:10 pm

I've done the forgetting meds thing as well, it all seems to be part of the delights of FM and it's fog :facepalm: :facepalm: I've now got one of those pill organiser boxes that I find helps. Other people on here have found using the alarm/reminder function set at the times they need to take their meds can help as well.

Whatever anyone posts on here, we do try not to have a go at them about it. We know that everyone has their own mind and opinions, so we just try to offer advice and support, as well as something from our own experiences that may help, with the hope that what has been said will be of some help to others going thru a similar thing :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby K8t85 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Thank you, i should come on here a lot more often whats the usual one you all use everyday? i used to enjoy going on the aol boards when i was pregnant and talk to other mothers, so i would like to do the same to keep in touch with other fm sufferers. It was not long ago i was on the feeling suicidal post i wrote out a whole massive page ready to send i didnt send it because i read it through and decided not to but it sure helps to get it off ur chest. Thanks :-D
K8t85
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:08 pm

We tend to be on most of the boards thru the day K8, and post what we thinks might help, or to get things off our chests. There isn't an instant chat type thing on here like some forums have, or have I got that thought wrong from what you've said about the aol boards. We tend to keep in touch thru the boards and using personal messages.

Anything you want to say, get off your chest, or whatever, don't worry about posting. Between us all on here, we've been thru a lot of different experiences, so between us we might have an idea that might might help you. Even if not, just having someone reply saying that they have even a bit of an idea of what you're feeling and going thru can help with the feeling alone and frustrated/upsetedness that often comes with FM :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

weight issues

Postby Kuljit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:02 am

Hello really feel your pain, having been someone who has always suffered with her weight. Since being diagnosed in August 2008, things just got out of hand. Went on a diet as read somewhere losing weight would help also was in denial of my condition so convinced myself loosing weight would rid me of fibromyalgia. Lost weight even got into a pair of size 10 jeans. However you've guessed it...why did I still have this condition. This then took me to a very dark stage of my life and I was eventually prescribed mirtizapine to help me. Side effects amongst many weight gain in abundance!! I'm lucky I have a great GP who's worked with me and not against me. Eventually I agreed I was ready for counselling which I attended at the beginning of this year which taught me many things including coming to terms with my new life. I went back on the Cambridge diet and I'm pleased to say I have started to shift the weight. Unlike weight watcher consultants who deal with groups of people and don't believe medication can contribute to weight gain a Cambridge consultant gives you a one to one session. I'm so impressed I have just filled out an application form to become one. As it has all the nutrients we need and helps with antioxidants I would recommend this to all FM sufferers as it doesn't cure you but does give you energy all be it a small amount we all crave.
SORRY TO GO ON but just had the urge to help. I've not got into my size 10 jeans yet but maybe next year. Good luck xxx
Kuljit
UKFM Member

Postby K8t85 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:16 am

Ive never heard of the cambridge diet, will be looking into that i had tried the ww diet and was getting frustrated where most peoples weight loss in the first week was around 6 pound i lost a poxy pound and saw people loosing it and i wasnt so i gave up just like everything else.
I feel so lazy im sitting here looking at the mess :yikes: in my house and have no will what so ever to get up and clean it, my plan is :idea: to just sleep the day away and maybe it will all dissapear lol. :crazy:
K8t85
UKFM Member

weight issues

Postby Kuljit » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Don't give up hope. We have all been where you are. I'm looking at upstairs and can see I need to clean but my arms are really letting me down today but I'm going to rest and make sure I have energy for when the kids come home from school. Housework can wait. Go onto the Internet and find a counsellor near you. We have so much against us re weight gain, medication, the condition, lack of exercise, pain and the list goes on...just remember a loss is a loss, so much better than a gain. Good luck if you get stuck let me know xxx
Kuljit
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:45 pm

A steady weight loss each week means you'll have a better chance of keeping it off long term. I know what you mean when some are losing several pounds per week compared to the one you've fought to shed, but each pound lost is one less to go to what you are aiming for :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

There are various weight loss/management plans, and they all have their good and not so good points. Which ever way you decide to lose weight, make sure it's the healthiest and most suitable way for you :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:34 pm

:fingerscrossed: K8 hope things settle down for you soon :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

weight issues

Postby caterpillar » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:32 am

I know just how you feel!! Over the past 4 years I've put on around 3st and have really struggled. Combo of meds, trauma and giving up smoking I think.

I was looking into doing Lighter Lufe and posted on here about it, but think it might be too drastic for me! No chocolate, no wine? No thanks!!!
I think as of January I will calorie count, the good old fashioned way.

There is a great app to help count if you have an iPhone and they also have a website, it's all free and the forums are really informative. It's called My Fitness Pal. It's even got a bar code reader with the app so you can just scan your food and it logs it for you!! I tried it for a few weeks a d it really opened my eyes to what I was shoving in my mouth without realising!!
caterpillar
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:26 pm

The app sounds useful caterpillar, there's a good chance there will be something similar for android phones as well.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby K8t85 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:46 pm

the cambridge diet is too expensive for me :roll: 50 pound a week :shock: what was the iphone app called? not sure what im looking for. i might start a new thread too look out for it about foods that affect us or is it effect us.
K8t85
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Weight Issues