[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - Weight Gain with Meds

Weight Gain with Meds

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Weight Gain with Meds

Postby Carlaagnew » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:28 am

Hi everyone

Does anyone feel how I feel? I'm 24 and use to be a size 8 from becoming ill I have gone up to a size 14-16!

I've tried everything and the only thing to blame is medications!

As I'm sure u all know I can't exercise due to the medical issues. I'm cut back on everything I eat but no change still!

Anyone have any suggestions? Xo
Carlaagnew
UKFM Member

Weight Gain with Meds

Postby caterpillar » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:11 am

Yes I can sympathise! I used to be slim, never skinny but slim enough... Now I am a 16-18, can't exercise, dieting is SO hard because I get so hungry I feel sick... I was going to try Lighter Life but then a couple of people told ms it made their anxiety symptoms worse and as I suffer quite badly with that I thought it better to avoid it!
I don't know what the solution is... If I had money I'd get liposuction!!!!
caterpillar
UKFM Member

Re: Weight Gain with Meds

Postby chrisgoneferal » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:33 am

Me too have doubled in size in the years since my spinal injury and the Fibro that I believe came with it.....

I do think meds make weight gain worse and I have to say that a visit from the O.T. has been more help to me than anything else in 25 years...no more meds from her just practical advice and help. Stopped all meds now going to try alternative things.

The meds cause as many if not more problems than they help with...not that they have helped me...no doubt they have helped the big drug companies by boosting their profits.

Not sure I trust any of it NHS, GP's they are all looking out of the same windows and I am note sure they really see us at all...however well meaning they are.

Chris
chrisgoneferal
UKFM Member

Weight Gain with Meds

Postby Mozza » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:54 am

Hi chris, i would be interested in knowing what alternatives you are going to try, I'm fed up waking up like a zombie with fuzz for a brain and not being able to lose weight. xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Weight Gain with Meds

Postby Carlaagnew » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:33 am

I wish I had been made aware at least that the Meds would do this. Im told putting on weight makes you worse yet it's impossible to get rid of it!

I eat healthy and very little rubbish. But still my weight increases. I was very active and wish I could get back to that but I can't help thinking that when I was younger I had a high metabolism against food and rarely put on weight so if I hadn't had that what size would I be now! Plus they want you to give anxiety and depression away but when you have a low self image it's difficult! Seems there's no magic solution! Xo
Carlaagnew
UKFM Member

Postby lala1626 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:42 pm

since being diagnosed i have put n so much weight.

pregabalin in particular has put weight on since i started taking that a few weeks ago.

i try not to eat crappy foods and i do quite well, but have some days when i could just eat everything in the house and i dont feel full which is definately not good.
i have a weakness for golden syrup cake at the minute!!!

lauren xxxxxxx
Be nice and smile to everyone you meet.
You don't know what they are going through.
They may need that smile,
and treasure it.

Don't ask how I am unless you really want to know the answer!
lala1626
UKFM Member

FMS

Postby sjc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:51 pm

I have put weight since having fibro and depression. And as we all know medication don't help. I take painkillers that have artificial sugar and other dodgy chemicals in them, and i put weight on since taking them. It's bad enough having fibro, but having fibro and weìght problems is a nightmare. Take care.
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:27 pm

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Kirsty-Ann91 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:18 pm

i was a size 12 before i was diagnosed. I had a really active life and barely sat down i litrally had a friday free and that was to do coursework!!
Then when i got diagnosed with HMS i got told to stop my gymnastics and dance (which is understandable. Then the dx of fibro came and all the meds that come with it and now im lucky if i get into a 16!!

I hate it becsue im 21 this year and am having a massive posh frock party but every dress i like either doesnt fit or makes me look fat :(

I try to eat less and do my physio daily and i did manage to loose half a stone but now i have a flare can barley move and so it has all gone back on. And i totally agree with all thoose saying about the docs and depression. How are we meant to feel good about oursleves when all the meds do is make us gain weight :nono:
Kirsty-Ann91
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:19 pm

yes the meds put pounds on :roll:
i am just coming off pregabalin they have put me up 2 dress sizes in 6 months
but i am coming down thank gawd!
i found that most of mine was bloating and swelling ( that's why i am coming off)
plus bad palpitations :yikes:

we have to try these meds, they do suit some people and are very good
but they are not for me :(
gabbers give me the squits :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
and pregabalin makes me look like the michelin man :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby PennyJ » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:28 pm

I have recently been diagnosed with FM, being 60 years old perhaps too old (tell my body that) and have gained weight over the last three years to a size 16. now, two weeks ago I cut out wheat and nearly all dairy and what a difference that has made. I am sleeping better,less fibro fog in the mornings,less aches and pains and best of all have lost 5lbs. So, I shall continue with this diet and let you know how things improve or not.....
PennyJ
UKFM Member

Postby pmc » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Hi lovely people, :-)
yes, I too have put on over 4 stone since 2001 and Fibro diagnosis, it does fluctuate, but, on the whole due to inability to exercise effectively and the meds it is always lurking, I have gone from size 10/12 to 16/18. :(
pmc
UKFM Member

Postby fliss » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:03 pm

yes i was the same always been a size 8 now 14-16 devasted as i tried gabapentin and it wasnt effective but i put weight on with it so doc tried pregablin and i put a stone on in a month so stopped takin it now i just hav to be in pain benn tryin to lose weight but its so hard as i cannot exercise xxx so ur not on ur own
fliss
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:51 pm

Agree also I have the same problem, I have moved the post into here with it being the most appropriate place for it :-D :-D :-D :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:07 pm

I'm another one who has piled weight on thanks to the delights of FM and meds :facepalm: :facepalm: The cruel irony in my case tho is that I'm pretty active, even tho it hurts like :swear1: :swear1: thanks to being taken out by the doglet daily :shock: :shock: I generally eat as healthily as I can (altho do have cravings that sometimes swamp everything else) :cake: :cake: [chocolate] [chocolate]

I've tried all sorts of diets/regimens over time, all of which seem to be thwarted because of the meds :shock: :shock: In sheer desperation, I've even resorted to some of my very unsuitable teenage tricks that used to slam the weight off me :nono: :nono: :nono: and not even that shifted more than a few pounds :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Weight Issues