Weight Gain...

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Weight Gain...

Postby TIFFANY406 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi...

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few weeks ago after suffering for a few years and am just starting to get my head around it being forever. Reading the posts on here has been so helpful for me! Thank you.... my heart goes out to everyone!

I have a question. Right now I'm managing to deal with the pain and gradually working through adapting my life. I have gained so much weight over the past few years which I'm sure is connected, although I can't blame the Fibro completely! :oops: :crazy:

I have tried various diets and it just seems impossible to shed any pounds! I've followed many plans, exercised despite the pain, and only managed to shed a pound or 2 in a month. Having so many pounds to lose it's really hard to stay motivated, especially when one 'treat' can demolish a whole months effort!

I've read loads about insulin sensitivity and low metabolism. Apparently my thyroid levels are fine, although I'm going to ask for it to be tested again.

With this theory in mind, it seems that a high protein/low carb plan would work best. Has any one tried this and has it been successful? Did the carb cravings diminish the less you had? I don't want to shell out loads of cash and join yet another slimming class if it would be pretty pointless! Obviously we should always be mindful of the food we eat and healthy is good. I do try to eat healthily but indulging the carb cravings is really hard to resist right now :( cake is so lovely when you feel blue and need some comfort! :-?

Thanks in advance for any advice :-)
TIFFANY406
UKFM Member

Re: Weight Gain...

Postby angesparkle » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi,
I can understand where you are coming from. I have never been overweight but know I will probably never get down from my size 12 down to an eight again anytime soon! If I was healthy I would be down that gym. It is so easy to reach for a bit of choccy etc as you say when we feel down.
The only things can suggest if you can afford it is weightwatchers or Rosemary Conely online?
x
FIBRO, CFS, GAD,TMJ, SQUINT,ASTHMA,DYPSRAXIA,DISCALCULIA, BPV, HYPERMOBILITY.
angesparkle
UKFM Member

Postby jackie 35 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:13 pm

i started a diet in june and i have lost 2 stone what i done was cut out white bread and in stead of chocolate i made flap jacks and it just droped off me
jackie 35
UKFM Member

Postby Bladebabe74 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Hi tiffany406,
I was diagnosed at the start of this year and have be put on lyrica (pregablin)
which has caused me to crave different food which in turn has caused weight gain.
I managed to shift 2stone doing a high protein low carb diet. I joined one on Facebook,
and it's now available online. It's a one off payment but you have all the support of members
On a Facebook page. Also Terri Ann is avaliable for questions. It's really simple Best thing is the first part was over 10 days which gives you initial good weight loss which makes you stick to it. It's the Terri Ann 123 diet plan.
I have tried others as I think we all have but take a look it took me just over 3 months to
Lose the weight.
Gentle hugs
Sacha x
Bladebabe74
UKFM Newbie

Postby TIFFANY406 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Wow... well done Jackie! Is that just by cutting out white bread??
I'm normally a 'weightwatcher'... been hugely successful with it before, and managed to maintain my 6 stone loss for 12 years!

It just doesn't work anymore. over the past couple of years I've tried:

6 weeks, 20 points a day plus gym = no weight loss.

1200 calories, plus exercise - 4 weeks = 2lb??

New Pro points - first 2 weeks ridiculously lost 12 lb! Then changing nothing, I gained 3.5 the following week and it took 5 weeks to lose that again....

Slimming World - Extra easy - 6lb first week - no further loss!

Have never tried Rosemary Connelly - it looks scary! lol....

I was wondering if the original plan on SW is more suited to Fibro make up with it largely being protein instead of carbs... has anybody tried it?

Cheers x
TIFFANY406
UKFM Member

Postby TIFFANY406 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Thank you Sacha - will definitely check that out! x
TIFFANY406
UKFM Member

Postby Lemonzest2012 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:45 pm

Yes its very hard to excersise when in this much pain, I did try working out to keep the weight gain at bay, din't work well, so I took to limiting my calorie intake instead and its worked much better. Tho some days I just blow it beacause its been a bad day, or i'm stressed :( :yikes:
Lemonzest2012
UKFM Member

Postby happyhaze » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi there I too have struggled with weight gain and little losses on various diet but I an now following slimming world and doing what you suggest and do mainly original days as opposed to the extra easy plan as I find if I have too many carbs in a week I don't lose that week despite following the plan. I am steadily losing 1 or 2 pounds a week, progress is slow but steady, wish I could exercise a little more but I have too many 'ouchy' days!!!! I just keep saying to myself that every pound less i carry it may reduce the pain.....(i live in hope!! :-D ) Good luck with your healthy eating plan, whichever you decide :-D
happyhaze
UKFM Newbie

Postby Iceskatemum » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:15 pm

Hi Tiffany I can totally symapthise with you , don't have any answers as my most recent trip to SW didn't last very long, but I do prefer thier original system to the extra easy

I have put on about 5 stone over the last 5 -8 years and tried SW about 3 years ago lost 1 stone and then nothing else. Worked out I went for about 3 months and played ping pong with the same 3lb..on ..off..on..off..stay the same ..., Went back last year to try and see if I could get any more off... again ping pong with the weight, even changed leader as I thought a new leader would give me more motivation. ---Nothing

I have been on drugs from the doc that were meant to help loose weight but as I don't have a high fat content in my diet to start with they didn't work.

Now being on the Pregabalin I seem to put on about 2- 3lb a week. All I get from anybody is you have bigger fish to fry at the moment, relax you can get the weight off when you feel better.

I hope you find out what works for you , keep in touch , I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be willing you on. :fingerscrossed: :flowers:

ISM
Iceskatemum
UKFM Regular

Postby Meg_Burdus » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:20 pm

I lost weight with Slimming World. 4 st in 6 months...unfortunately I put it all back on due to a family crisi (I'm a dreadful comfort eater). UnfortunatelyI can't afford the food or the subs any more...Catch 22.
Meg
Meg_Burdus
UKFM Member

Postby sknowles456 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:13 pm

hi i read with interest all these entries about weight gain. 5 years ago i used to weigh 9 stone and was a gym bunny with if i can say without sounding big headed, a pretty top body. Now i am a big blob and weigh 14 stone and am a size 18. I have just been to a wedding and looked at the photos of me and am so depressed today because i look so big. I am trying and i don't eat that much i even gave up drinking alcohol and didn't lose anything. I really do feel like my metabolism is stunted. I cannot go to the gym anymore because of the pain but i find swimming 20 lengths for 30 mins approx 5 times a week helps keep me supple and stops me gaining anymore weight. I am taking Alli tablets but as has already been said i don't eat that much fat so they aren't working so well. I do find the following website of use, its called Myfitnessplan and it allows you to select the exact food you eat from and database and it records the calories, it asks you what your target weight is and how many pounds you want to lose a week then it devises a calorific plan. Mine is to eat 1200 a day, i eat porridge and walnuts, say a ham, cheese and salad sandwich and a steak and veg for tea (no carbs at teatime) plus a couple of diet biscuits. You also enter your exercise and it calculates the extra calories you are allowed. I have lost half a stone (before the weight loss stopped) doing this so maybe it is worth looking into. Good luck everyone! Suzy x
sknowles456
UKFM Member

Postby tessmcg2012 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:01 am

Wow
Just reading all the entries I don't feel so alone. I stayed between 8 - 8 1/2 stone since aged 16 until 40. I'm now 43 and 13 1/2 stone. In 3 years I have put on 5 stone, and it has been soooo distressing. And not being able to work means money is tight and I can't afford to buy the clothes I need - went from a size 10 to 18.
I'm not a real 'diet' person, but trying to eat a little more healthily - cutting out the things people say are bad for us 'fibros' like sugar and caffeine, and including more veg and salad. IT IS SO BORING!! I had a bold few moments this evening and had 2 bars of chocolate. I needed the energy boost, am doing a nite class and I was flaggin badly. SO justifying it to myself has now left me undoing the good work I had done over the last week. I had shifted a few pounds, but I just know the scales will be up again.
THe only thing to do is to learn from it, and to ask myself the next time temptation comes knocking "is it worth it?".
Well done to all you folks who try to loose weight. Its hard for everyone, but that much harder for us. When we are not able, we are just not able. Until a better day comes. :fingerscrossed: Suggestions welcome
tessmcg2012
UKFM Member

Postby lolabolla » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:22 am

I'm ashamed to say that I have put almost 8 stone on in the past 9 years :yikes: going from a 10 to my present 'tight' 22 frame.

I stopped smoking and also went from being a radical vegan to a meat eating monster almost overnight.

When I was vegan I had no problems with my weight at all but only began to eat animal protein on the advice of my GP as I had developed punicious anaemia.

I also lost my precious father in 2004 which devastated me so much that I have not had a relationship since.

Now added to the mix are my numerous ailments, medication that causes weight gain, losing the job that I loved and lack of exercise because of the pain that are preventing me from losing weight.

At my last diebetic review with the practice nurse I asked her to arrange an appointment with the dietician. So yesterday I went to see the dietician at our GP's surgery :roll: :roll: :roll: I was met by a nice young woman and we spent almost an hour of her spouting off and me trying to look interested in the drivel that she was telling me.

I know how to lose weight, I know how many calories are in food, I know that alcohol has empty calories, I know what portion control is blah, blah blah!!! :nono: :nono:

But the reason why I put myself through this was because I know that I need to be motivated. I can't afford slimming clubs and gym membership but at least taking this first tentative step with the help of the NHS I will hopefully be given the support that I need and it's FREE.

Lola xx
lolabolla
UKFM Member

Postby TIFFANY406 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:41 am

Thank you for all your replies. It's so lovely to hear from people who really understand how hard it is to lose weight with this debilitating condition!

Who's had it said to them before 'eat less, move more - simple'.... grrrrrr! We all know it isn't that simple for us otherwise it wouldn't be an issue would it??? :scream-1: :pull-hair:

I've also had the Orlistat, but like you, ISM, I tend to have a low fat diet anyway so it was quite ineffective.

Meg - sorry to hear of your family crisis (((big Hugs))) a piece of chicken just doesn't cut it when all you want is a big fat choccy bar, or a family bag of onion rings - does it?

My Fitness Pal is great - that was the one I followed 1200 cals a day on - really nifty app, and free too.

You've all inspired me - especially you, HappyHaze! Slow and steady is fine by me, so long as it's consistent! I'm going to join a class and give lots of 'red days' a go! Save all my syns for that one weak Costa Cake moment! (Sugar :cake: and caffeine :coffee1: - at the same time! Yum :roll: )
TIFFANY406
UKFM Member

Postby TIFFANY406 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:47 am

Good luck Lola! You're quite right - we all know the rules, sticking to them is the hardest part when there are so many other factors to consider. Motivation and support is the key - We can all help each other :flowers:
TIFFANY406
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Weight Issues