Weight Problems !!!

Discuss issues with weight and any diet tips that might help.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fibro and weight

Postby juliem » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:34 am

When I was "officially" diagnosed, both times, the Rheumy stressed that weight gain, and trouble losing weight are real. The second guy I saw said he took very sriously weight in his diagnosis. I shouldn't weigh what I do. I am not huge but should be lighter and having always been very slim I find this very hard. I have read up all about why it happens. Body almost in survival mode so metabolism slows down etc. However I decided I must be able to lose some. I haven't had any choc/sweets, naughty food for 2 weeks no alcohol(did have 2 glasses a night). Have I lost anything? No. Simply by calorific intake I should have. I haven't substituted anything for the wine, just water. Everyone I have talked to said they would have expected a pound or two but not even an ounce. If I had done this a few years ago I would have lost some quite quickly.

I walk my dogs for between 1-11/2 hours five days a week so do get quite a bit of exercise. So feeling miffed and wonder what to do. When first diagnosed I did give up alcohol for 6 weeks (trying ami so thought it best). Didn't lose a sausage then either.

Fed up. Just want to lose half a stone or so.
juliem
UKFM Member

Weight Problems !!!

Postby jasezoo » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12 am

Hi everyone, I am having problems with my weight as I can no longer exercise and it is getting me down :( My doctor has suggested going to the sauna at the local swimming pool which I will try but my appetite is out of control and all I crave is junk food !!! :roll: I know I'm not doing myself any good and I get really down afterwards as I used to do aerobics 6 times a week as well as walk the dog for miles,but now I'm not even fit enough to walk to my garden !!! :cry: Can someone suggest a solution for me to get back on track with a healthy diet? Thank you all for reading :? Fibro :hugs: to all :wave:
jasezoo
UKFM Member

Re: Weight Problems !!!

Postby denys » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:32 am

Hi, weight seems to be a problem for a lot of us unfortuantely, myself included. The problem can be the meds we take lots of them are weightgainers due to the effect they have on appetite. They can increase appetite and/or cause cravings. The only thing I can suggest (I have no will power!!!!!!!) is to eat a diet including lots of food that releases energy slowly so that you keep your sugar levels more stable and then you wont get those big dips which make you crave quick fix foods as much :fingerscrossed: you start to manage a bit better :goodluck1:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:16 am

Hi Jasezoo and Juliem I have merged your posts as you are both having the same problems and you might get a better number of replies :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: for both of you :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mellabella » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:02 pm

I am so depressed over my 6 stone weight gain since being diagnose in April that i don't feel i can go on any more. I used to be extremely active into extreme sports, hill walking, dog walking, swimming, camping, dancing and stuff like that. my hobbies were all physical ones like gardening and D.I.Y. and dance classes and Arts and crafts, but I can no longer do any of it. Pain and exhaustion upon exertion left me unable to do any of it and food cravings and comfort eating have seen to the rest. I can't even do arts and crafts any more as fibro has affected my eye sight., tests show there is nothing wrong with my eyes, its just the way my eye muscles are on any given day and the way in which my brain perceives stuff. I now feel totally physically disabled and can't even walk up my stairs without gasping for breath with heart pounding. By 9 o clock, I'm usually in bed as my body can't take any more. I'm 48, I ended a five year relationship last year because to be honest, i didn't feel physically or mentally up to having a relationship and i can't ever see that changing for me. I really don't see the point in being alive, it seems like such hard work and the though that i could go on for another 20 years like this is horrifying. It's not that I'd do anything to deliberately harm myself but at the same time i have such little joy in life, that dying doesn't seem all that bad either.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby jasezoo » Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi everyone,A HUGE thank you to all for your suggestions and I will take them on board and do my best to resist temptation and eat healthily :fingerscrossed: to losing some much needed extra weight. :!: Fibro :hugs: to all :wave: xxx
jasezoo
UKFM Member

Postby Nellyphant » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 pm

My GP put me forward for weight loss surgery today. I got diagnosed with osteo arthritis in both hips and knees as well as fibro just yesterday. He and the Rheumy know it's gonna be hard for me to lose the weight 'cos of the meds and pain.

You seem to be doing everything right though so I'm surprised that it won't shift. Sorry I can't be anymore help than that. :hugs:
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:12 pm

My problem is though that I do not take any meds and am still as active as poss. I walk my dogs for over an hour a day. I like my choc and wine but as I say having cut these out not an ounce shifted. Even a nutritionist said that doing that I should have lost a couple of pounds quite quickly. The Rheumy said that yes meds and lack of exercise are an issue but also that people with fibro can often have weight issues. This is because the body has gone into "safety" mode so the metabolism is slow. I am not as active as once. By lunchtime i am quite done in but am just so frustrated that trying hard gets me nowhere. God help me if I did take meds as well. Actually its probably one reason I am so resitant. Meds do not seem to help me so I struggle without.

Mellabella I am so sorry you are so down. I am 49. Weight gain is very depressing and you really sound as if you could do with some support. It is very hard to make positive suggestions. Could your Dr help you see a nutritionist/dietician? Also could they help you devise a very slow program of exercise. At a pain management course they advised starting doing some in a chair. I am sure somewhere I bought a fibro exercise sheet.

Try and keep positive. God I hate this illness. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby fabme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:16 pm

Mellabella

I think you really could do with talking to someone about how you feel, have you mentioned this to your GP as they should be able to help you

fab
fabme
UKFM Member

Postby mellabella » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:14 pm

Hi fab, yes i went last month to the docs, explained everything. The worse thing with fibro is that you put everything down to it when there could be other things going on as well. Fair play to the doc, she took it all seriously, sent me for some tests as i am unable to walk talk and breath at the same time now. I am sure it's all weight related as underneath it all, i'm quite small framed. Anyhow, it is a pity it came to this as over six months ago i went and to see the doc ( a different one ) saying i was desperately worried about my weight and the effect it was having on my fibro. She sent me to a dietitian who didn't know anything about the problems of fibro and advised me on a good diet and gave me a diet sheet to fill in for a few weeks.. like i didn't already know what a good diet was or how to lead a healthy lifestyle, i'd been doing it most of my life until this fibro thing. Anyhow i was told if i could loose over half a stone they would give me diet pills.. Christ, If i had the ability to loose half a stone i wouldn't need pills! and even before that, before i got diagnosed proper and just though i was aching because i was getting tubby, i went to the doctor who put me on a programme of supervised exercise ( a 10 week council run initiative for pensioners although i was only 46 at the time) I lasted for 4 sessions before the gym instructor advised me to give up and go back to docs as she thought i had a problem with my muscles as i was in so much pain and couldn't carry out the simplest exercises she was giving pensioners. And i think back to only about 2 years before that when i was teaching pensioners how to belly dance- before my feet began to hurt that was...So it's not like i haven't been worried about it all and tried to do something about it.. So now i'm in this state, disabled more by weight than by fibro probably, though how could i possibly tell?...Anyhow, this new doc has at least taken me seriously and seems to understand what's going on with a fibro body. so i'll wait till tests are back and see what happens next. In one way i'm hoping the tests show up something that other people can understand but chances are like other tests docs have sent me for over the years for mysterious things such as an ectopic pregnancy ( when i hadn't has sex for a year ) kidney stones that never existed, urinary infections that never were not to mention being treated for emotional problems, hormonal problems and being labelled attention seeking by one very nice ( not ) doctor. I don't know what i am so disillusioned with more.. having fibro or ignorant medical professionals

ohh.. sorry for the rant, but if i say this sort of stuff to people who don't understand they see me as a self pitying moaning Minnie and just don't want to know...., i swore this thing wasn't going to get to me when i was diagnosed, i thought it was a relief to be diagnosed but it's become really hard to deal with and the weight makes me feel like my internal organs are being crushed.. perhaps it will get better when the nicer weather comes.
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:42 am

Mellabella, so sorry you are feeling so down sending you some gentle :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: and :fingerscrossed: this doc will help you :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby mellabella » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:54 am

Ahh thank you.. i'm not usually this black about things. I'm just having one of those weeks. :yikes:
mellabella
UKFM Member

Postby lillly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Hiya mellabella,
I do empathise with you its hard being so active and enjoying a variety of diffrent activities and just having it all snatched away,
I too used to enjoy similar things too you ,my poor old dog is wondering whats happened he used to enjoy the meadows as much as I did
sometimes you reply to posts thinking you would like to help and as your going along think o crap this is *hit im just having one of those moments haha sorry
I too would risk a major flare to protest at the way in which we are treated so if you hear of anything let me know and ill bring me flask haha.
Im so sorry you feel crap at the moment...I think we all do well to carry on as we do at times x
I also have a lot of similar symptoms ie sore feet which I dont think are due to weight gain as they were one of my first symptoms I have started to walk on the sides of my feet etc they always hurt and exercise is impossible for me at the moment Im too sore and stiff.
Also im breathless and find it difficult to walk talk etc at the same time,im starting to gain weight now but all these problems were there before the weight gain started and I agree its very difficult to exercise.I watch pensioners overtake me in the street and feel well jelous lol
I have been to hydrotherapy and it was nice I felt lovley they also gave me a list of local pools that are warm ie for mums and babies
Im like a little mermaid haha x
I also gave up on a 3 yr relationship due to fibro,,,just could be a**d to be dealing with all that too,he started to feel sorry for himself coz I was tired an didnt fancy you know what so off with his head.
We will be ok in the end we gotta be Lilly x
lillly
UKFM Member

Postby juliem » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:41 pm

Isn''t the feet thing awful? My feet have hurt so much. So dibillitating. Mine haven't been too bad lately but seemed to have kicked in again. Not being able to walk well is not good.
juliem
UKFM Member

Postby lillly » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:47 pm

Yeah ,the problem is we have so many symptoms that im sure the docs either dont care or are overwhelmed,
I think if they could help us with specific things like this we may be able to do more for ourselves.
If we cant stand we cant do much exercise,I know ther are armchair exercises but I cant do these either,
The only place which feels good is emersed in warm water ahhhhhhhhhhhh bliss
Lilly x
lillly
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Weight Issues