Is fibromyalgia now being categorised as myofascial pain?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is fibromyalgia now being categorised as myofascial pain?

Postby Painintheneck » Sat May 05, 2018 4:39 pm

Has anyone come across fibromyalgia being specifically referred to as a form of myofascial pain?

Reviewed and revised by the author.
Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Re: Is fibromyalgia now being categorised as myofascial pain

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:38 am

Myofascial pain is an illness to itself although you’ll find many doctors will put it under the same umbrella as fibro.

I have all of the trigger points of myofascial pain syndrome but have never had the label of it. In fact my preference of physiotherapy is trigger point.

I was also told in the beginning of my fibro diagnoses that I had very few tender points but riddled with trigger points. Hence I was probably leaning more to the myofascial but many years on and the tender points are every where also.

TBH I very much doubt there is much between them I cannot myself work out any difference. You poke any fibro along the trigger points and watch them jump!

You press on a trigger point and will feel radiating pain where as tender point are on that spot. It’s a masters work in the beginning to find where the bagger of a trigger point is which is causing the pain for example...

Migraines can be cause by a trigger point in the neck, once the point is worked on you’ll get relief from the migraine. When a trigger point on my chest is pressed I feel nerve pain run down my arms to tips of fingers. My physio says I’m wired up wrong :crazy: so with myofascial pain, the pain isn’t necessarily where you think it’s coming from!
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Painintheneck » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:53 pm

Lisa, your reply gives some idea of the confusion surrounding this subject. Trigger Points, Tender Points… sound too similar to draw a clear distinction. Then add into this muddle symptoms of myosfascial conditions – which were/are for a distinctly separate matter (there being some medically-accepted ‘real illnesses’ in this context) – and it’s no wonder sufferers are not only bewildered but left high and dry when it comes to medical intervention.

Reviewed and revised by the author.
Last edited by Painintheneck on Mon May 27, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Painintheneck
UKFM Member

Postby perseus » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 am

Myofascial pain syndrome is supposed to be multiple areas of tight muscle fibres or trigger points, so the focus is on the muscle. Fibromyalgia is believed to be caused by the brain becoming more sensitive to pain signals over time, so the problem seems to be located in the central nervous system. Myofascial pain syndrome may play a role in starting this process, and develop into full blown fibromyalgia in some people.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia. Regards Stephen
perseus

Return to Doctors & Health Services