Advice on Rheum Appointment

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice on Rheum Appointment

Postby countyfan » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:49 am

Hi,

Finally after eight weeks of uncertainty, I am back to see the consultant on Wednesday. I have an Occ therapy appointment straight after because they said they need to know whether it is RA or Fibro before deciding what to do with me. What I wanted to know was, how to ask the right things of the consultant. Last time I went my brain went all fuzzy and I got upset, which I think is what made the 2nd consultant verge towards my symptoms being due to Fibro. I hav e been taking Amitriptylene for the past 8 weeks and have slept better but have such vivd dreams. Do I ask to be put on some other medication? Also, because the consultant last time tended away from RA I stopped the diclofenac and just took cocodamol for te pain but now my knuckle and finger joints have swollen again! The X rays did show ostearthritic changes in my hands so could this be the cause of the swelling? Anyway I am going to try and write down what to ask, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and sorry to bother you all! :crazy:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Re: Advice on Rheum Appointment

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 pm

Make a list of all your symptoms, pain levels etc. Also write down about what has happened with the swelling/diclofenac/co-codamol and about the dreams. Also write down any questions you need answers to.

If you can, have someone else come in with you, not only is it a bit of support, but another pair of ears to listen to what is being said as it's easy to miss things being said. They may also think of something to ask that you hadn't.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:09 pm

Agree with Flup, take someone with you if at all possible. The swelling in your fingers especially if they are distorting could indicate RA so maybe you have both it is possible but :fingerscrossed: it's only one :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby diane1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi I always take my Hubby with me as he remembers things and can tell the drs how I really am. I would definately recommend taking someone. It looks like I might have RA. as well as fibro. First I had Post Traumatic Stress then Fibro,cfs,ibs and now RA. My mum has RA and OA and my hands also swell which they dont do with fibro.

I also make a diary of each day which includes how I feel the symptoms and the pain and what I can and cannot do etc. Its really helpful when you go in. I also write a list of questions and explain that I have to as I cannot remember everything.

GOOD LUCK

Diane

:fingerscrossed: :goodluck2:
Does an elephant with fibro fog ever forget ?
diane1
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:33 pm

my hubby is my brain :roll:
i don't remember anything that i am told :(
i seem to take it in when i am with a doc but as soon as i come out
it just disappears :lol:

hubby also tells them more than i can remember, so you would be better to jot it down
:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: it goes well :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby Alaskapops » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:09 pm

Hi
In my experience when 1st diagnosed with fibro I was prescribed amitriptyline which helped with the pain immediately after a good nights sleep so I ironed for 5 hours ! And slept well over 8 hours :D
In Rheumatoid Arthritis you need medication like methtrexate or others like it to work on the immune system + imflammatory process to help , in fibro there is no inflammation or swelling. But you can get symptoms of fibro secondary to arthritis .
You can download leaflets for patients on fibr / osteoarthritis/ rheumatoid arthritis from arthritis research uk which may help :fingerscrossed:
Always write questions down before , symptoms , even a pain diary and take someone with you
:fingerscrossed: :goodluck2:
alaskapops :cat1: :cat2:
Alaskapops
UKFM Newbie

Postby countyfan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Have seen Rheumatologist who thinks I do definitely have Fibro but is still not totally ruling out RA.
Have been referred to a Fibro course at local hospital (8 weeks starting on 10th August) so that is a positive development. Also have to have an ultrasound scan of hand/wrist because my knuckles are noticeably swollen-I did ask if that could be due to the osteo arthritis, which I know I have in my wrists- Rheumy said that could be a possibility but as my RF is elevated she still wants to eliminate RA definitivley. I did as you all said and it helped having a list so that I didn't forget to ask anything. Unfortunately my husband had to be in \Stafford with work, so he couldn't come but the experience was a lot more positive than previous consultation.
:lol: :lol:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:38 pm

glad it all went well for you
and you had a rheumy that was nice and helpful :clap:

they should all be like that
but mine was a complete :pigoink 1: :roll:

good luck with the scan :hugs:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Glad it worked out for you :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 am

Glad your appt was a more positive one :clap: :clap: Hope the ultrasound can give you some answers about the swelling and the fibro course is helpful :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby countyfan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:50 pm

Things are progressing more now, as I have informed the HR department at work about my Fibro-I finally got a definite diagnosis and written evidence. They seemed quite helpful but my boss wants to raise a competency complaint against me now. I am sure a lot of the things that I am finding difficulty with are as a result of FM and therefore I should be protected under the Equality Act! I am not just going to let him force me to agree that I am incompetent, as a lot of the extra things he has been asking me to do I have not been properly trained for.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.... :lol:
countyfan
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:12 pm

Have you got a union rep or staff association rep that could help you with this?? I would have thought there could be someone who can help and possibly represent you thru the complaint procedure. If not, then maybe someone like CAB would be able to put you in contact with someone who could help, if needed.

You should be covered under the Equalities Act, but it might be worth checking to see exactly how you're covered with someone who understands it fully.

:goodluck2: These things do have a way of working themselves out, even tho it may not seem like it at times :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:54 pm

I agree with Flup get help from someone so you dont have to fight this alone :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby loubie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:21 am

another idiot!!

:fingerscrossed: for you, try not to get to stressed out
as you know fibro loves stress :roll:
hope its all sorted soon :hugs:
loubie xx

UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services