Pain Management/Rheumy

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Management/Rheumy

Postby solsticedreamer » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:35 pm

hi all hope you are all okay...or as okay as we ever are eh?! :wave:

i had my first pain management appointment on monday and true to form i forgot to talk about many things so popped back yesterday with my typed up prompt notes :roll:

i am now on gebpantin as well as the diclofenac sodium and paracetamol. starting with one a day, then two and finally three (900mg) but he did say i could go higher. i have been feleing slightly drunk for two day :lol:

i was a bit thrown because he asked me what i wanted so really didnt have a clue what to say as i was already all flustered at having to talk about myself-i always feel people do not believe me when i list all the aches and pains etc.
me
he has referred me to the physio as i mentioned that because of my diabetes and high cholesterol i really need so kind of very gentle exercise.
he mentioned councelling but to be honest i dont think there is anything wrong with my head its my body i am having trouble with and i cant see how talking can make me feel better (that wave of depression i had has eased an awful lot thank goodness :) ) and i did make a point to saying how i am not depressed but get frustrated.

he also mentioned referring me to a rheumy but i wasnt sure and said we could discuss it when i see him again in three months.but now thinking about it i am wishing i had said yes straight away.

so i am asking what you all think-have you found visits to a rheumy helpful?
m.e~fibro~diabetes~high cholesterol...still smiling!
http://solsticedreamer-woolblankets.blogspot.com/
solsticedreamer
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Management/Rheumy

Postby shazq » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:33 pm

Hi
Did they say why they wanted you to see a Rheumy?
In most cases your gp will send you to a rheumy to get a dx and once you have a dx the rheumy will normally discharge you back into the care of your gp so to be honest not really sure a rheumy will be of any help to you.

On your next visit to the pain clinic ask why and what they think you will get out of it. :dunno:

Hope the gaba`s work for you, you will find they do make you a bit spaced out at first but you do get used to it. :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services