MRI

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

MRI

Postby livermore » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Hi guys,

Havent been on here in a while and just had a quick question to ask has anyone eva had an MRI scan or CT scan?? i am having weird tingling fingers n numbness in both hands n my left leg got to have some scans and an appointment with a neurologist nxt week i think. Bit scared.

Michelle. x
livermore
UKFM Member

Re: MRI

Postby loubie » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:18 pm

hi michelle
yes had both and they are nothing to worry about :D
MRI is not a nice experience because you are in a tunnel
but just close your eyes keep them shut and think of the
best ever holiday being on the beach and the sun shining down
or anything that is a lovely memory.

the other one is fine nothing to be afraid of at all
:fingerscrossed: all goes well for you :blowkiss:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby holmess » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi Michelle,
There's nothing to worry about, you'll be fine. The worst thing that happened to me on an MRI was having the headphones on and having to listen to Terry Wogan for 40 minutes... :crazy: Wow I was ready for a good dose of anitdepressants after that :lol:
:goodluck2: Hope all goes well.

Sharon...
holmess
UKFM Member

Postby livermore » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks guys that has put my mind at rest a bit now.

I still havent heard when im going in yet but should be in the next week, if i ever get the letter through!!

Michelle. x
livermore
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:51 pm

I've had 4 MRIs and a CT scan. I found the MRI the most stressful as I went in head first each time (scans were done on my neck, ears and head). The CT scan was a doddle and faster than the MRI. From what I can gather, some hospitals now have smaller MRI machines, as well as the bigger ones which just take the bit of you in that is being scanned, not all of your body so they're not as daunting. Hope the scans help with getting to the root of your numbness :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi
I have had a few ct scans and 1 MRI scan, the mri one they put headphones on me and placed a metal x-ray jacket thing on my stomach, it took about 30mins.
With the CT scan i had have a jug full of drink before i went in then had a line put into my arm and fluid put in, they said it would give me a warm feeling and it will feel like i might wet myself but not to worry as you dont. :lol: I had my stomach scanned so not sure if its different for other parts of your body. :dunno: that lasted about 20mins.

:goodluck1: with it, you will be fine. :hugs:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby nutty1 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 pm

:wave: i had both and if you tell them when they ask you questions they will explain everything like someone else said you can have earphones ,i was even told to take a cd if i wanted .the last mri i had had thing you could put over your head and see the person who poperates it in the office .she explain each thing that the machine was doing . :goodluck2:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby motherelephant » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:57 pm

I have had a couple of MRIs and found no problem with it at all .Infact during the scanning they talked to me through the intercom ,i was so relaxed i hadnt moved at all and they were worried something was wrong hahaha. Just relax the stiller you are the sooner it's over . Motherelle x
Like sunshine in the morning, may this brighten up your day and show you that you're thought of in a warm and loving way.
motherelephant
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:39 pm

I've had a few and didnt have a problem as people have said the staff seem to do everything they can to reassure and help :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby livermore » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:12 pm

Thanks guys, i still havent heard from the hospital yet they got my notes, and instead of it being urgent put it on a pending list so had to ring them up and then docs again to find out aht was going on its been a nitemare im not sleeping bcoz im so uncomfatable and with working as well im soooo tired which is making it worse and still dont know when il get seen grrrr!!

Michelle.x
livermore
UKFM Member

Postby m2kl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:59 pm

I have had 2 MRIs and i find them really relaxing and nice lol. I think its the warmth from the machines too. I fell asleep during the first one and during the 2nd one i just relaxed. I was in for 1hr the first time and 30mins the 2nd time. The hardest thing for me was lying flat on my back due to pain but i had to do it to get the answers they needed. Am having a CT scan in a couple of weeks so will let you know about that one xxx
m2kl
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:23 pm

cts are fine no issues but mri is horribial if you dont like enclosed spaces ,, i would aske them to cover your eyes with a damp cloth so you cant see the tube which is only about a couple of inches bigger that your body , i found it a lot better like that
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

MRI

Postby Bobbi08 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:01 pm

MRI's are not pleasant, what I did as soon as I laid down and headphones etc was in place I shut my eyes even before going in and kept them shut breathed deeply and just remembered it was open both ends and listened to my choice of music - good luck xx
Bobbi08
UKFM Member

Postby livermore » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks everyone,

I have finally got a date to attend an outpaitents neurology appointment tue 23rd next week but it doesnt mention anything about a scan which is what my doc wanted so i have no idea if they will do any scans. Still geting the pins and needles though and very stuggling a lot at night so would like some answers so fingers crossed!!

Michelle.x
livermore
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:11 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: Michelle :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

The neurologist may decide what other tests, scans etc you need during the appt and send you for them, with some sort of follow-up for the results :dunno: :dunno:

At least you don't have long to wait for your appt 8) 8) 8)

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services