Council housing & OT's

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Council housing & OT's

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:58 pm


For anyone on the council waiting list my advice is...

The council take the Occupational Therapists reports very seriously which will help you get on the council lists or get higher up on the list and makes sure you get suitable accomodation for your needs.

They asses your accomodation needs and write a report to the council.

I have found over the 12 years of living with fibro the OT's to be the most supportive organisation around.

They see fisrt hand how fibros live as they visit the homes and spend time listening. They have many of us on there books and have alot of sympathy and recognise that the goverment do not fund or support us which in the OT's line of work makes us priority need.

So there not just for aids & adaptions they can also support you with your housing
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
Posts: 3903
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Council housing & OT's

Postby Lorrie82 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 am

That's very interesting. Thanks for the tip.xx
UKFM Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Re: Council housing & OT's

Postby animalhouse » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 am

thanks read your other post too - how naff.

hope you get a decent place sorted soon.

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
User avatar
UKFM Regular
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:42 am
Location: Derbyshire

Re: Council housing & OT's

Postby cherryblossom » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:32 pm

I'll second that advice. We found them very helpful too. We were able to move because of the help they gave us with regards to informing the council of our needs and we were able to get adaptions done alot quicker due to their referrals. The council really do seem to listen to them more than anyone else and you can refer ytourself to them if you need to, you don't have to ask the gp!

Good luck to all who need it. Cherry :hugs: :hugs:
UKFM Member
Posts: 637
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:42 am
Location: somerset

Re: Council housing & OT's

Postby mrshitch » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Hiya ... I see you are all mentioning OT's in this post.
I am housed in a Housing Association house, which I love, it's the one place I have lived for the longest amount of time in my life and I have no intentions of leaving it.
But I have little knowledge of OT's and what they can do to help, and how I would go about contacting them? I will make a list below of things I need help with, could someone let me know what the OT would be able to assist me with getting sorted?

* My legs (particularly left) get pained very easily and has given out on occassion - and I get numb patches on my leg and lower back which makes me scared of what will happen. I don't like to go out and when I do I need my son's pushchair for support - could crutches or another walking aid help?
* Getting in and out of the bath, and getting off the toilet all cause me excess pain - is there anything that can assist with these problems? Its hard enough my husband has to sit in the bathroom with me, help me wash my hair/shave my legs etc, would be nice if I didn't need him to steady me like a child to get in/out.
* I feel unsteady on the stairs and could do with a wall rail to hold on to for added support and security. I often avoid the stairs unless absolutely necessary.
* Our bedroom is downstairs and our only toilet is upstairs - getting to the loo at night can be a painful and dangerous mission. Can they help me to ask my housing association for a downstairs toilet?

Thanks for reading, hope someone is able to answer my queries x
UKFM Member
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:31 am

Re: Council housing & OT's

Postby shazq » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi Mrshitch

My OT came out to access my needs through my GP as i was having lots of problems at home.

When they come to access you they will get you to show them all the things you are having difficulties with.

With your bath they will put in grab rails and might give you a shower seat or a board.

They can put in extra wall rails for the stairs.

I brought my own walking stick so not sure if they will supply them. :dunno:

With things like toilets you might have to apply for a grant if you qualify for it. (your OT will have all the info on this)
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
User avatar
UKFM Veteran
Posts: 11449
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:16 pm
Location: wrapped up under my duvet at home.

Re: Council housing & OT's

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:40 pm


I am now with a housing assosiation and i was told to contact them for any adjustments etc...

maybe contact your housing assosiation and see how they can help and what they can offer and they may even arrange an OT to come and visit to see what they can assist you with and do for you to help you live more comfortable etc

By reading your list i would say yes the OT can help..

The can help in alot of ways and what goes beyond them they will sort out for you by other organisations

They can put rails in the bath or put in for a wet room and raise the toilet or put you in a bath seat. They can get a community physio out to help you with your mobility needs like a walking stick or chair etc

They can put grabb rails up the stairs and maybe a commode not sure about a toilet but you never know if the OT gets backing from the assoosiation im sure if u have room a dopwnstairs toilet could be done.

As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
Posts: 3903
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: Council housing & OT's

Postby Panda » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:30 pm


The easiest way to get referred to an OT is call your local Council and make a self referral. They will usually take all the details about the things you are struggling with. Sometimes there is a waiting list for an assessment, so best to put your name down when you start to struggle. The OT will come to the house and do a full assessment and like others have said, ask you to show them how you do tasks. Most housing associations will require a report from OT recommending the minor works such as rails. If basic eeuqioment like raised toilet seats and commodes are needed, sometimes the council will provide them or inform you where to hire or buy them from eg the Red Cross or disability shops. If it is felt appropriate the OT can make large scale recommendations to the housing association for a Disabled Facilities Grant to fund adaptations such as wet rooms, stairlifts and sometimes downstairs toilets. Often a letter is required from a GP to support the OTs recommendations for a possible downstairs toilet.

With regards to possible walking aids, I would advise to visit your GP and ask that they refer you to a community physio, as this may be quicker than waiting for the OT assessment and then the OT referring you.

Hope this helps.
UKFM Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Return to Doctors & Health Services

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest