Anyone got a wall i can bang my head against!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone got a wall i can bang my head against!

Postby Tiggerbtt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:15 am

Hi Im new to this forum, but after having yet another appointment from hell with a nurse practioner i felt like i needed somewhere to vent my frustration. I have lived with Fibro for most of my life im 36 now. About 2 years ago I decided that id had enough of docs telling me its all in my mind and decided to try and live with fibro without any treatment as I felt that the stress of seeing docs was actually making me worse. Then I met a new doc at my surgery who was lovely and didnt make me feel like a hypercondriac every time i walked in her room, after several appointments she persuaded me to try butrans patches to try and cope with the pain better and for once it actually helped me without too many side effects, so for 18 months I have been using these patches (they dont take the pain away but do bring it down to a level that makes it easier to cope). Then earlier this week I went to see the nurse practioner at my surgery for a prescription review and sh e pretty much accused me of being a drug addict and said that I have to come off all my pain medication, I was so upset at the time and it was obvious that I wasnt going to change her opinion so I just walked out. :facepalm: Unfortunatly the doc who prescribed it in the first place is now no longer at the surgery, so i cant even go back to her for backup.

Now I feel like im back to square one and now have the stress of trying to wean myself off of pain medication, im so fed up with being made to feel this way by so called healthcare professionals (who gave them the right to make me feel so bad about myself) :( . Anyway i decided to share my story with you guys as afer my appointment reading through this forum helped me feel better, just because I know im not alone so thanks xx

Sending gentle healing hugs to all who need one :hugs:
Tiggs
Tiggerbtt
UKFM Newbie

Re: Anyone got a wall i can bang my head against!

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 am

:welcome: to the forum Tiggerbtt. Sorry to hear about your experiences and latest appt, sadly these stories seem to be what passes as "normal" for us :facepalm: :facepalm:

Has there been another dr come to the surgery to replace the one you were previously seeing?? If so it might be worth seeing what they're like where FM is concerned and see what suggestions they can make for you :? :? If there isn't any other suitable dr, then you may have to consider changing surgeries to find a more helpful and understanding GP.

With how you've described the way you were treated and made to feel, might it be worth a call to the practice manager and tell them what you've said on here??
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Tiggerbtt » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:46 am

Hi fluppy puppy. Thanks for your suggestion, I am planning to check out the GP just letting myself calm down for a few days so I dont go in and let them have the full impact of my frustration! And have decided if I dont get better treatment i will then complain to the practice manager. Its all so blooming frustrating and fed up with getting stressed out with these guys as it just makes the symptoms worse :swear1:
Tiggerbtt
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 am

Unfortunately, like you say, any stress and upset, no matter how small, makes us so much worse :facepalm: :facepalm: If they were to experience what we think and feel, they wouldn't be so dismissive of us :swear1: :swear1: :swear1:

Hope you can find another decent doc soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby livermore » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi there,

Im sorry to hear your story, i dont know why the docs feel they can treat people this way. Ive been very lucky with my doc hes fab and seems to really understand me but a ot of the others dont and i refuse to see anyone else now.

There was one doc at out practice who was very bad she had no bedside manner and didnt seem to listen to anyone, my mum went and she upset her, i went to her once she upset me and my boss collapsed in fornt of her in the waiting room and she accused her of being a drug addicted when it turned out she was annemic!!! Everyone complained about her and i have to admit that when i went to her with a chest infection(couldnt see anyone else so was desperate!!)she was soo much better. I would say complain everytime as in the end someones got to listen.

Hope you get someone who will listen again.

Michelle. x
livermore
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi Tiggs, :welcome: to the forum and I too am so sorry you have had to go through this, the practice nurse is exactly that, ask her is she better qualified than the doctor who prescribed the medication what a disgusting attitude, I agree with the others complain, dont let her get away with it :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :flowers: :flowers:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Let me get this right it was a NURSE that wants to take all your pain relief away?

The NURSE that has not replaced these meds for something else? so shes just going to let you now totaly go without?

Reason why i highlighted nurse is because i feel IMO she cannot over ride the position of a GP? The GP is more qualified in your care etc so i dont understand why she took it all off you? Or at least consulted a GP?

If the meds where causing you problems then yes the nurse can take them off you BUT she should re-place this with other pain relief or refer you to a pain clinic or rhumatologist.

They cannot just take meds from you without other options if your still in pain and dicomfort.

If you feel these meds were helpin and your happy to be on them then i dont see any reason why she is doing this! :yikes:

I would like above contact the practice manager before you wean yourself off IMO...

good luck and i hope all oes well and you can continue your medication just frustrates me also as my partner had to fight for his meds...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tonydin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:30 pm

hi i likw you will not take meds , but brutrans rocks??/ as you say dont stop the pain just makes it more easy to live with.
you cant just stop though ,
i would see aniopther doc mine considers them a very safe long term pain relife product
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Tiggerbtt » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:13 pm

Thank you everyone for your kind and caring responses, they are all noted and i am going to go and see the doc soon to hopefully be able to sort this out. Its so nice to know that there are people out there who do understand even though I wouldnt wish this on anyone. Thanks again and pain free wishes are sent to you all xxx :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Tiggerbtt
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services