New reserch Infomation

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

New reserch Infomation

Postby shazq » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:58 am

This would be great for us, a blood test that showed up fibro. :D

Interesting reading.

http://fmcfsme.com/art_diseaseseveritymarkers.php
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Re: New reserch Infomation

Postby Ldyalb » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:42 am

Yes that would be awesome :) Very interesting article.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:51 am

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: something comes of it, thanks for the link Shaz :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:00 pm

It's a fab linky shaz, the kind of news we like to hear :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: it can be taken even further :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nutty1 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:21 pm

:fingerscrossed: for this .thanxs :facepalm: shaz :crazy: forgot whoes post for this link :clap:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:47 pm

hello nuts :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:50 pm

:wave: :wave: nutty Missed you :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby nutty1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:51 pm

:wave: denys a flups,haven`t deserted you .just struggling abit with recents events etc . :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :hugs: :hugs: is this me :shooting:
nutty1
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:00 pm

Might be Nutty, dont forget we are always here for you, be nice to yourself :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: some :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: from Elmer too :elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:08 pm

And there's always a comfy chair and a drink in the cafe for you :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:21 pm

:wave: :wave: :wave: nutty. :wine:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Cian » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:19 pm

I have also seen reference to Substance P lately, I cannot find the link but do have the following copied onto my computer while I rummage through various information.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

The cause of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome remains elusive, but there are many triggering events thought to precipitate its onset. A few examples would be an infection (viral or bacterial), an automobile accident or the development of another disorder, such as Rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, or hypothyroidism. These triggering events probably don't cause FMS, but rather, they may awaken an underlying physiological abnormality that's already present in the form of genetic predisposition.

What could this abnormality be? Theories pertaining to alterations in neurotransmitter regulation (particularly serotonin and noradrenalin, and substance P), immune system function, sleep physiology, and hormonal control are under investigation. Substance P is a pain neurotransmitter that has been found by repeat studies to be elevated threefold in the spinal fluid of fibromyalgia patients. Two hormones that have been shown to be abnormal are cortisol and growth hormone. In addition, modern brain imaging techniques are being used to explore various aspects of brain function--while the structure may be intact, there is likely a dysregulation in the way the brain operates. The body's response to exercise, stress and simple alterations in position (vertical versus horizontal) are also being evaluated to determine if the autonomic nervous system is not working properly. Your body uses many neurotransmitters, such as noradrenalin and adrenalin, to regulate your heart, lungs and other vital organs that you don't have to consciously think about. Ironically, many of the drugs prescribed for FMS/CFS may have a favourable impact on these transmitters as well.

However I have just found an article (although I have not been able to authenticate the info) at http://chronicfatigue.about.com/od/what ... causes.htm
Brain chemical & hormonal abnormalities

Researchers know people with fibromyalgia can have numerous abnormalities in their hormonal, metabolic and brain-chemical activity, but they're not sure whether these are causes of fibromyalgia or the effect of pain and stress on the central nervous system. People with FMS may have imbalances in any of the following brain chemicals:
•Serotonin: low levels
Serotonin impacts your sleep cycle, pain level and feelings of well being. Low levels are linked to depression, migraine and irritable bowel syndrome, all of which frequently occur in people with FMS.
•Melatonin: low levels
Your body makes melatonin from serotonin. Typically, serotonin levels increase in the morning to help you wake up, then drop at night as your body converts it into melatonin, which helps you sleep. Some studies show taking melatonin supplements can cut pain levels, improve sleep and improve depression symptoms in people with FMS. However, other studies have shown little or no improvement.
•Stress hormones: low levels
Deficiencies in the stress hormones cortisol and norepinephrine make your body less able to cope with psychological or physical stress. (Physical stress includes infection or strenuous activity.)
•IGF-1 growth hormone: low levels
This hormone promotes bone and muscle growth. Low levels are related to problems with thinking, low energy, muscle weakness an intolerance to cold. This level may be a marker of FMS rather than a cause.
•Substance P: high levels
Substance P is a chemical messenger in the nervous system associated with pain perception. If you have too much, your brain gets too many pain signals. People with FMS can have up to three times the normal amount in their spinal fluid.
•Abnormal pain perception: high activity levels
Some studies and brain scans suggest fibromyalgia patients have too much activity in the parts of the brain and central nervous system that process pain.

Researchers are working to understand what these abnormalities mean and how this knowledge can lead to treatments.

If anyone has any further information or has heard anything regarding the levels in quote 2 please share as I am very interested to take this to my GP.

Also, Has anyone else heard any news on stem cell treatment? I found this http://www.medra.com/fibromyalgia-treat ... fAod4BkYtw

There are a lot of fake experts offering a ton of info and false hope so I don't reccomend we all line up on this one, but it anyone has heard any success stories they can trust it's an interesting story to follow.
Hoping they find a cure!

Mr Cian Aidan Wagstaffe

**I wish people wouldn't claim we are lazy and claiming benefits for no reason, give us genuine work from home opportunities and see how many of us turn it down!**
Cian
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:47 am

If you search substance P (top right) you will come across quotes and infor from previous comments. I have heard about substance P a long while back.

As for stem treatment i know its used in severe cases of MS but i have not come across any1 with fibro being offered it or had it.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Doctors & Health Services