Just want to scream!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just want to scream!!

Postby nick79 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:19 am

Ok here goes bit of a rant, Sorry :(

After twelve months of being brushed off that my pain was just stress I saw the rheumatologist July 26th and was diagnosed with Fibro, well as long as the further bloods she wanted me to have came back clear for something else she was concerned about. Had to have the bloods taken at my Gp's two days later as the Rheumy was running late and the blood clinic linked to her closed before I got out. Any way she said she wanted me to try 10mg Amitriptyline going up to 25mg if necessary, would like me to try it for at least a year.

so two weeks on I had no further report on the bloods and also hadn't been given a prescription so still in limbo, had received my copy though of the letter confirming her findings which also went to my GP, so I called my doctors and tried to get an appointment, told none available so had to go through everything with the receptionist, who didn't seem to understand any bloods where being awaited and thought from the letter I'd already been given the Amy's, so she arranged a doctor to call me back who arranged a prescription for 28 days worth.

I've been taking the 10mg's for 25 days so had to go back to the doctors for more yesterday and also a bit of help,
1. they seem to have stopped helping me sleep, also so far not had any affect on helping the pain
2. I seem to have become really irritable about the tiniest things since being on them (literally everything is annoying me)
3. needed a longer prescription as can't afford to pay £7.40 every 4 weeks on top of everything else.

whilst waiting to go in to see my doctor I overheard that my GP surgery has become a teaching practice which explains why there seems to be different doctors every couple months and also why it's so difficult to get an appointment with the one GP who gives a damn and is actually fully qualified.

So I go in and the doctor looks about 12 :roll: , had to explain my circumstances from scratch again :!: , and tried to find out what she thought would be best to do and it all came down to staying on 10mg or going up to 25mg of the Ami's there didn't seem to be another option, as to it affecting my mood she couldn't see how that would be possible but these drugs are adjusting chemicals in the brain aren't they? so surely with some people it could affect the mood??? :dunno:

:x I can only get 4 week prescription and have to see a Quack every 4 weeks which causes problems both financially and with work as, as of next week I'm working 9 till five so will have to go to the doctors every four weeks during works time.
:x Also the bloods I've had done haven't been forwarded to my GP so don't even know if they're going to be looked at until I next see the rheumy in January.

This thing is a nightmare, I'm trying my best to live a normal life and have it interfere as little as possible and it seems it's impossible to do that :swear1:

So Sorry this rant may be a result of the constant bad mood I seem to have been in since starting the Amitriptyline.
Considering that I know I wasn't stressed before I now totally am.
nick79
UKFM Newbie

Re: Just want to scream!!

Postby meyer12 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:49 am

JUst wondering... has the pain clinic been mentioned at all because maby they could help better than a lot of GPs who are constantly changing. Might be worth asking about it.

Can you change GP practices or is it not an option?, im only asking that because maby if you could change to a differant practice which isnt a teaching practice you would get more consistant care.

It can be extreamly frusterating when you feel GPs arnt helping much, specially when you are only starting out after diagnosis. As for the amitriptalines... give them untill the end of your prescription then tell them they arnt working and that you are not happy with the way they are effecting your moods and sleep, they are ment to help not cause problems so maby they are simply not right for you. they dont agree with me ether so its not uncommon.

my only advice is do as much reading about fibro as possible, in my experience knowledge is power :D

:goodluck2: x
meyer12
UKFM Member

Postby nick79 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for replying :D

There hasn't been any mention of a pain clinic so far

I think I'm going to have to change doctors the only thing that keeps me there is Dr Pigeon he is a wonderful doctor and so helpful when I get to see him but since all the changes it's near impossible, he told my mum that the practice manager has made it so all the trainee doctors have to be booked up before they'll give people appointments with him as otherwise he'd be the only doctor seeing patients as none of the patients are happy with the system and the practice manager refuses to see sense. It's totally bonkers.
Thanks Nicky xx
nick79
UKFM Newbie

Postby hamstergirl » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi

If you look on the internet for prepayment perscriptions, you can apply for a years prepayment to which you pay around £11.00 a month for 10 months. You can have has many perscriptions in a month.

I bought it last year when i was trying different meds because it was costing me a fortune. I also went with a list of items i bought over the counter, such as ibrophen gel, paracetomal, codiene, anti allergy tablets, lactulose. Do i never now have to buy anything over the counter, i have all these on repeat.

I tried ami but found it worked for a month and then i had to keep upping my dose so i ended up not taking them. I now only take them when i am desperate for some sleep.

Hope you manage to get your results soon, i would keep on phoning your surgery until you get them

Lorraine
hamstergirl
UKFM Member

Postby TillyLou » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:37 am

Hi, I'm sorry to hear you are having so many problems. I am very lucky as my gp practice is also a teaching practice and although I don't mind seeing a training gp- they are qualified dr's they just need general experience, if they do not know they do have to go to the main practice gp for advice. I have fantastic docs who really listen and understand.

I too have all my meds on presription and pay monthly on a prepaid, even over the counter go on prescription.

I took amitriptyline and it didn't siut me either, in fact 10mg was knocking me out completely I couldn't function at all,

Hope you get sorted soon, good luck. :fingerscrossed: :goodluck2:
TillyLou
UKFM Newbie

Postby Mrs T. » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:34 pm

Have you thought about ringing your consultants secretary and explaining to her how your surgery is not helping you. Maybe the consultant or hospital ringing your surgery might get them moving.

Take care.
Mrs T.
UKFM Member

Postby sastek » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:26 am

Move to Scotland, prescriptions are free :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience with your doctor/practice, the best option is to try another practice if this is possible. If not then first I would call whoever took the blood tests and put a rocket up them!

It is a horrible feeling when you are first diagnosed bacause no one can flat out tell you what can be done to make you feel better, and it can take a very long time to find out which medications etc. will help you.
sastek
UKFM Member

Postby Bradshaw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:47 am

Well I think sastek is saying right that if you have not get the positive response from your doctor then you might go for other but the point is that it would be very difficult to find out the main reason of this problem which is severe .
Bradshaw
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services