Pain Clinic Appointment...

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pain Clinic Appointment...

Postby meyer12 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Today i had an appointment with my pain clinic.... first sign it was going to be a naff appointment was having to wait 1 hour 15 min after my appointment time to be seen. Second was my appointment was ment to be with a consultant but she has gone off on holiday so it was one of the pain physio therapists on the team.

We went thru the questionnaire you have to fill in and send to them prior to the appointment (this is my 3rd time at clinic). We went thru all the meds ive previously tried ect :sleep:

Anyway after a rather unhelpful round of question time she sat and said well... going off everything you have tried we have pretty much exhausted all avenues as far as medication goes! :yikes: So i just dont know what to do anymore.

I have depression, chronic back pain, Fibromyalgia and RA. im only 24 have a young family and despite pacing, knowing my triggers, pain meds...im at a point i need help and its now looking like im being left to fend for myself.

Even my GP doupts fibro and openly said "you dont look as tho ive got it," :evil: How the heck is a typical fibro sufferer ment to look!!! Are we ment to walk into the doctors crying in pain every time we go in....NO! We put a brave face on it in public specially if you are young self consious and feel like your body is old beyond its time! OOOOh im mad, frusterated and feel utterly abandoned.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated... even if they are simply to tell me to get a girp!.... if i had the money right now id be having a rather large drink :wine: lol
meyer12
UKFM Member

Re: Pain Clinic Appointment...

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:16 pm

:wave:

There is much more the pain clinic can offer apart from medication, have they offered you any trigger point injections? infusions? physiotherapy? CBT therapy? hydrotherapy? acupuncture?

I have been left to fend for myself as i am sensitive to meds BUT respond to physio which is not funded regularly on the NHS :swear1:

If they was to add up the amount of cash they were going to shove down my throat it would be way more then a few physio sessions a month :banghead: yet i am not funded :dunno: so i had to seek a physio and work with them.

I also feel its a post code lottery to how much help we do get.

All the funding where i live goes on alcholics/drug abusers. In fact i know of some one who had £6,000 of rehab on NHS to go back to square one then had therapists on call 24/7!! :yikes: yet i cant have any funding .... makes me mad!!

Your GP should be taking your illnesses seriously and not judging you by your age and if they had any knowledge they would know FM people *dont look sick* :facepalm:

Dont give up keep on at them for help, im sure there is much more out there for you it just means you have to push them a little as its all to do with funding etc

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby denys » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Sorry to hear you had such a bad appointment, it is very upsetting when we arent taken seriouslyno matter what age you are, as Lisa has said they should know enough to realise FM'ers dont look sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if it was me I would be going back to the doctor and asking what they were going to do now and if you dont get some decent answers look to change docs is there another one in your surgery or another surgery local to you.

Are you part of a support group or is there one in your area, they can be really helpful as the members will have experience of GP's in your area and can offer you advice specific to where you live. :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you get the help you need
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby meyer12 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:00 pm

:wave:
Ive been offerd CBT, went once before in the past but only went to one appointment because i found getting out of the house and travelling to the appointment a compleate killer. However since then i have learnt more about how FM effects me and am more confident in how to pace myself so the problems last time wont be a problem.

I asked about Pain relfe patches and she went on about lidocane patches only being for pain in a very specific place so i had to stop her and re ask my question and simply ask if i would be able to have any gradual release pain relife patch ie over a 12 or 24 hour period and she tried to say they dont work because you build up a resistance, so i said "for flare use only so im not taking pain killers like smarties", so she then said shed ask the consultant about them.
Im getting gastric problems from taking NSAID's for RA so any break i can give my stomach from pills will be a bonus.

Never mentioned any thing about physio, hydro or infusions of any kind... I did ask about Pain Management courses and she said the CBT is the one who decides if i will find that usefull or of no benifit.... :shock: i was a little supprised about this because i thought if it was me wanting to spend the time going and learning then i should be the best indicator of wether it would benifit me.

Definetly does seem to be a postcode lottery... Im feeling a little better for my rant, thank you x :D

Oh, there are other GP's and again i dont feel its taken seriously with them ether. I am considering moving but am worried it will be just the same. :( I forgot to look into local support groups and the only one i know of i found out listed on here but that is a good 15 miles away and not practical. I will definetly ask....mmmm maby my rhumatology nurse could sort that one for me? (the rummy nurse is the only person ive seen in the past few years who seems to empathise and really does her job well).
meyer12
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:11 pm

Thats one good thing having the nurse taking you seriously. Maybe use her for help? explain how things are for you and see what she can offer.

They probably using the CBT therapist to assess if you need any further support as they dont like funding people who they feel may not benefit even tho they might. Its all to do with money IMO

I know of many fibros on morphine patches so i cant see a problem there so :fingerscrossed: you get some help.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby larissa1 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:40 pm

if that were me i would definately change my doctor ,putting up with the pain is enough without a doc who sounds not very well informed to me !!!! you need a doc who will listen and take you seriously ! good luck x
larissa1
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:49 pm

meyer12 wrote::wave:
Oh, there are other GP's and again i dont feel its taken seriously with them ether. I am considering moving but am worried it will be just the same. :( I forgot to look into local support groups and the only one i know of i found out listed on here but that is a good 15 miles away and not practical. I will definetly ask....mmmm maby my rhumatology nurse could sort that one for me? (the rummy nurse is the only person ive seen in the past few years who seems to empathise and really does her job well).

Why not try contacting some of the surgeries around you and ask if there is a dr who has dealt with patients with FM and/or other chronic pain conditions. You may be lucky and find a nice helpful one :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby meyer12 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:35 pm

i hadnt even thought if ringing around so thank you for pointing out that its something i could do. :D x
meyer12
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services