Donating blood

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Donating blood

Postby sweet princess » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:40 pm

Is anyone here a blood donor? I have an appointment this week and was wondering how it feels afterwards. My mum thinks I'm mad. But I want to give something back for all the times I've been helped by the NHS. I just don't like the idea of passing out or worse. :|

Edit: Oops I posted in the wrong section. Forgot where I was. Sorry about that. :flowers:
sweet princess
UKFM Member

Re: Donating blood

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:36 pm

I've shuffled you over into here as I think it's more suitable for what you're asking about.

Have you spoken to the Blood Donating service to make sure you're suitable as a donor?? I would have thought they would have asked you about your health, anything that you're taking etc. Or is your first appt going to cover things like this when you go??
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:06 pm

Hi
There was a big thing about this going around last yr, i cant remember the reason why but they were banning people with me/fibro/cfs/ms from donating blood.

I remember there was a lot of info going around on facebook about the goverment stopping the sick and disabled from donating blood.

You are best to check with them before you go sweet princess. :hugs: i will see if i can dig up any of the old info.

I know i am not allowed to donate because of the meds i am on with crohns disease.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby sweet princess » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi FluppyPuffy,
Thanks for moving my post to the right spot. :hugs: Yes, they said I was a suitable donor, but I wasn’t allowed to donate that time as I’d cupped myself recently and there was a chance I might have an infection. They told me I had to wait four months. So now that my second app is due, they’ve sent me another questionnaire as it saves time having to fill it in there. As you know we suffer a lot with chest pains. I’ve ended up in A&E with chest pains before. But my ECG’s have always been normal. It’s when I’m actually having chest pain, the thought of giving blood scares me. I imagine having a heart attack mid donation. I needed to know how donors with FM feel during and after the procedure.

Hi Shazq,
Yeah I remember that. I rang them as soon as I heard the news. They checked and said its fine for me to donate. I know I wasn’t expecting that either. I mentioned having FM at the appointment as well as they do ask do lots of health questions before they decided if you’re a suitable donor or not. Thank God I am. I’m just feeling a bit shaky as it’s my first time donating.

I’m sorry to hear you have Crohns. I hope you don’t mind me posting this to you. I hope it’s of much help :hugs:

Natural Healing for Colitis, Crohns, IBS, Diverticultis - Using 100% natural methods
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsuK25C7 ... re=related
sweet princess
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks for your link sweet princess :hugs: :goodluck2: with your app i am sure you will be fine donating your blood, they will look after you. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby sweet princess » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi Shazq,

Thank you. I do find I'm not as worried as before :hugs:

Code: Select all
Thanks for your link sweet princess 

You're most welcome. I hope you find the link extremely beneficial God willing. :hugs: :goodluck2:
sweet princess
UKFM Member

Postby mand » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:54 pm

i donated in august and that was fine, nurse said as long as im feeling ok and did check meds that i was on. it was 12 months since my last donation as i had a problem with iron levels..........okie dokies now, i do it to say thankyou, as my nieces needed transfusions when they were tiny, we have one on earth and a little angel xx.....the best session i went to was one at halloween...i had egor taking my blood :clap: ,,hillarious :clap: :clap: :clap:
mand
UKFM Member

Postby Claire Spong » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:54 pm

Be careful donating if you suffer badly from IBS. I asked the nurse last time they brought the blood donor truck to work and she said that there is a major blood vessel and nerve that goes down to the stomach called the vagus and because of where it is when your blood pressure drops after giving blood it can make you feel really ill or throw up so she advised against it unless my IBS had been stable for a year.
Dx March 2011
Read my blog about how I'm coping with finding out I have Fibro on: http://fibronewbie.blogspot.com/
Claire Spong
UKFM Member

Postby Azz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:06 am

I went to give blood a few years ago and they would not let me as I was only on HRT back then. They said they need donors who are not on meds.
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby sweet princess » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi guys,
Yay I done it! :chicken-dance:

I was scared tbh but didn’t show it 8) It was over so quick. Too quick! I felt sleepy afterwards, but otherwise was fine.
Thanks Mand, Claire and Azz for your replies. I read them before I went but was in too much of a rush to reply. Thanks esp. for the warning Claire.

:grouphug:

Just one thing - I don't have IBS as people normally have it. I can change my bowel habits with my diet. That's not IBS then is it? However my upper tummy feels rock hard and is distended. It's been causing discomfort for months but today is worse. Wonder if it's related. Told doc once she just gave me some antacids. I can't even get comfy lying down. And lying on my left side is worse. Feels awful tbh :dunno:
sweet princess
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services