Distraught - help please

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Distraught - help please

Postby millymolly » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:50 am

I went to see a rheumatologist yesterday in leeds - who was pretty awful to be honest, I left in tears and on the edge. He told me (in no particular order)
Fibro improves over time
I need to go out and meet people, make new friends, tell them about fibro but i wasnt to moan about it
not to bother with a support group because they just moan and will bring me down
To get some proper sleep - get a routine if i go to sleep at 10pm - get up at 6am - walk to corner shop
that fibro is a hindrance to life not a detroyer like cancer if (os subtext f**k off)

He did want some bloods and asked me what i wanted, I saiud a pain med review - which is didnt do just asked why i didt get on with Amitriptolene
order some blooods, reffer me to physio and then discharged me saying I cant reat you, live with it you have to wrok with your GP.

I knew it would be tough, i so needed the support and accorind to Leeds NHS website they have a fibro clinic hahahahaha (hollow laughter)
My GP is a young registrar and admitted he doesnt have a clue about fibro but willing to work with me - although he was really excited about reffering me to the rhuemy dept.

so please please can anyone point me in the direction of a decent GP who does have a clue about Fibro I dont care about rheumy stuff anymore - I know my depression is really bad and separate in way, but yesterday i thought if i just drive into that wall - world would be better off. - I am making appt today as urgent to see GP.

I have no idea how to compaing ir if there is even any point in trying
http://but-you-dont-look-sick.blogspot.com/
millymolly
UKFM Newbie

Re: Distraught - help please

Postby Azz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:40 am

I didn't want to read and run hun, I have no advice regarding finding a dr. Sorry to hear you had a hard time with the Rhuemy, I hope your dr is able to help you. :fingerscrossed: :hugs: :hugs:
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:51 am

Hi millymolly

We have a post with a doctor data base, from fibro sufferers. see if there is one in your area, if not call some doctor surgery's around your area and ask their practice manager if they have a GP who clued up on fibro. :goodluck1:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11164#p120046
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Millymolly if you want to complain contact PALS their number is generally on the hospital website and explains how the complaints procedure works and gives contact details. If it will make you feel better complain, maybe it will improve his bedside manner towards the next person but dont get hung up on it.

Unfortuantly your experience isnt unique, some people just dont like the word Fibro. If you dont get anywhere with Shaz's suggestions and you have a local support group, ask there for advice on GP's as I'm sure some of them will have the info you need :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:15 pm

Reminds me of an awful rhuemi i encountered years ago!

He told me to stop seeking medical professionals as its a waste of mine and there time, to go swimming (even tho i caanot lift my head above the water with the neck pain and the cold water seizes my muscles up) and to just take paracetamol :dunno:

He was right tho in saying your best of working with your GP with all my history this is what i now do. Not good that your GP has not a clue on fibro even tho its a recognized illness :dunno: my physiotherapist goes on many courses about FM but a new GP hasnt a clue??? wonder what university he went to :crazy:

You either educate this GP with info on here EG licensed medications, and get him to refer you to a pain clinic who will now more about pain management

Either that or have a word with the practice manager about your predicament and see what they say

:goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tonydin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:16 pm

now my rummy said much the same , but in a much nicer way as he addmitted it exists and even studys it but has no answers as to what to do gps much the same
gusse thatts how it is im afiad , if you can get on top of the deprresion it will help the rest a bit
take care
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:54 pm

sorry to hear millymolly,

my rheumy appointment was similar but not as bad mannered
(actually he was, 1st he dictated a letter for the patient before me, then left me in this cold room for a while and at the end of a very short examination he was browsing through the file of the next patient)
check with your young gp
he said he is willing to work with you
maybe you can go a few steps together
and then take it from there (look for someone else or stick with him if he's willing to dip in)

:hugs: :flowers:
Lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby millymolly » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks everyone, I have been so down and stressed it was the last straw for me. I will persue complaint via pals simply because his "manner" wasnt good enough.

I am going to see my GP and see where we go, if he isnt able to support me then I will do as suggested and find another GP.
I am normally pretty resilient, in part i hoped he would support the DLA application, as we all know the more "support" you have the better the chance. I will just have to fill it in, and make sure my GP has a list of everything and I will explain why.
http://but-you-dont-look-sick.blogspot.com/
millymolly
UKFM Newbie

Postby mand » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:52 am

hope your on the up and feeling better, bet you feel like you have been kicked in the teeth...physio... well i went and they introduced me to hydrotherapy :crazy: lovely :crazy: , can welfare rights or citizens advice help you out with dla forms, welfare rights has helped me with my daughters applications in the past, its all the writing as well and the chap knew the format and what to write down etc and im sure they got intouch with gp and all that..they were brill.....im the same at the moment finding a gp and trying to come to terms with fibro :swear1: diagnosed in june so im a newby, belive it or not find more thing and get more info off you guys...im glad i joined :D ...... take care and bounce back coz i'l bet that proffessional who you saw is not loosing sleep
mand
UKFM Member

Postby sootybean56 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:13 pm

hi millymolly :wave:
i was dx three years ago,although had this fibro for years. i ended up going private to get dx
been on antripoline which gave me terrible side affects now on tramadol and anti depressants
got same problems with my gp do more exercise etc what a :lol:
had to practically beg to be referred to an nhs rhumy who i see on the 25th oct, i hope they can sort out
medication for me. the other thing is support groups i am a member of one that meets on a monthly basis
they are very friendly and helpful. maybe you could contact them.the person who runs the meetings june chivers is a lovely person and made me feel very :welcome: fibrowakefield@gmail.com

sootybean56 :blowkiss:
sootybean56
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services