Finally, a breakthrough?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Finally, a breakthrough?

Postby geb0205 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:07 pm

I had a diagnosis of fibro last september time, and have all the typical symptoms (widespread, bilateral pain, trigger points, headache, sensitivity to medication/smell/light, IBS, fatigue, poor sleep, fibrofog) but for the past year, the pain is just getting worse and worse.

I work as an Osteopath, it's a manual job, and I listen to people complaining about their pain all day when I have chronic pain myself! Ironic maybe but I love my job. Recently, it's getting to the point that I am really dreading going to work because of the pain. I feel lazy because I am finding exercise harder and harder. I am lucky enough to have a horse that needs working, but I can't bring myself to ride her as it produces so much pain. The GP's really are helpless, all they suggest is amitryptyline, and cocodamol/tramadol. One very kindly told me "You can't live on pain killers all your life!"

I'm beginning to get to the point where I feel guilty for doing nothing, and that I am actually imagining it, that I'm just lazy and thats why I'm getting the pain.

After talking through things with a pain consultant on an acupuncture course a couple of weeks ago, I thought I'd bite the bullet and go BACK to the GP's and try and get a referral. I think I visit them atleast once a month. Last time I went, I discussed the possible link between thyroid and fibro, but to no avail. The GP had never heard of such a link. :hit1:

SO, I've been today. After having a minor breakdown in her office (where I convinced her actually, it's NOT depression that is causing my pain) she finally took me seriously, and has not only referred me to a pain clinic, she's also referred me to an endocrinologist. I've also finally convinced them to blood test for Vit B12 levels, iron, FBC and thyroid antibodies, that i await the results with a keen interest!

I could have kissed her! It's taken 14 months to get there. Infact, I was so frustrated by everything I was contemplating going privately. I'm now super nervous about what they will find, and how they can help. But it's a step forward. Sad thing is, the pain clinics can't see me until january 2012!!

Sorry, I just felt I had to share this. Does anyone have any reassuring words that this IS the right way? What are the pain clinics likely to offer me other than TrPt injections and blocks (which I really don't fancy...)
Registered Osteopath and Medical Acupunturist.
geb0205
UKFM Member

Re: Finally, a breakthrough?

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:45 am

:wave:

Pain clinics offer therapys and treatments and will try you on different meds or combination of meds and monitor you and swop or change meds if necassary.

Think it all depends where you live to what treatments and funding they can offer you. Mainly physio/CBT/hydrotherapy/some times accupunture and maybe few others

Thats apart from the injections
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby shazq » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:11 pm

:goodluck1: with the blood tests.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:09 pm

:goodluck2: :goodluck2: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:15 pm

:fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: and :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :goodluck1: :wave: :wave:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services