what do i do if my doctor wont listen

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

what do i do if my doctor wont listen

Postby toamm99 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:17 pm

hi, i went to the doctor today and brought up the subject of thinking i had fms, he basically laughed it off and said that everyone has aches and pains and that he would not refer me to a consultant with out proof that there was something wrong with me, all my blood tests came back negative. The doctor really patronised me and made me feel like it was all in my head. Has anyone got any suggestions of what i can do now as i have no idea. :(
toamm99
UKFM Newbie

Postby kayjay » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:00 pm

I find it really sad that GPs still act like this. I had this 20 years ago but I would have liked to think that as rheumatologists accept FM as a real condition so do GP's. Do you have other doctors in the practice you can ask to see? Otherwise I suggest you keep going back and asking for a referral to a rheumatologist until you get it. Good luck
Kathryn xx

Had fibromyalgia for 25+ years and I'm still smiling :)
kayjay
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:12 pm

hi toa,get rid of this dr you have. if you have fibro you do need an understanding dr.I would go as far as saying find out who the youngest gp is either at your practice you are at now or go and find another surgury.Younger drs know more about fibro!It can take a long time just to get though blood tests and further investigation without a dong brain gp holding things up.these drs that ignore our condistion want reporting to the local health aurthority,if people dont complain about it ,how do we make them aware of it.cant everyone see that its up to us who suffer from it need to kick the backsides of drs who live in the dark age....cat whos going off on one again.
cat123
UKFM Member

find a young'n

Postby Caren » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:14 pm

Hi toamm99

I had this for quiet some time.
I am 29 for years have battled trying to get some kind of help because the gp's that I saw either denied fms's existance or told me that it was growing pains, I has one tell me that complaining about every little ache and pain is not the way to get attention that I should go out clubbing instead!!!!!
I agree that you should try and find a doctor who is younger. It was only when I was admitted into hospital with severe chest pain that one of the docs there saw my notes and he wrote to my gp advising that I be referred to a rheumatologist and to a pain clinic.

I really nope that you can find someone. Please please please don't give up. Keep going - you WILL find someone.

All the best
Caren
Caren
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:44 pm

:twisted: There's that phrase again YOU HAVE GROWING PAINS grrrrrrrr
There is no such thing as growing pains. I should know, for the first 12 yrs of my life I was told I had growing pains. I should be 7ft tall by now given that this diagnosis was correct, but guess what I'm 4' 11".
..................Pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

DR?

Postby princess » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:25 pm

GET ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
princess
UKFM Regular

Postby CraftyCrow » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:21 pm

Hello there!
I'm new but I do have the benefit of being old(ish) and fiesty! Don't rule out older doctors, just try as many as possible.
You know your body, you know how this affects you, you just need to find a good doc that will listen.
Unfortunately, a lot of us will know the feeling of being too tired/hacked off/despondent to argue with GP's, but if they get it wrong it is up to US to tell them (have letter in the post to mine this week).
My diagnosis was a process of elimination, and I think this has to be the same, if not - ask him why has he given up on you? Has he no other options? If so, can he recommend a GP with broader knowledge? Don't be afraid to walk loudly AND carry a big stick!

Good luck
Crow x x x
At least no-ones suggested leeches... yet.
CraftyCrow
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Well said crafty!I couldent agree more,mind you age does have its benifits,No dr god scares me,i tell them how it is,they useualy look at me with wide eyes,i can read their thoughts,they are thinking,cheeky buggertake care cat, whos gettin owd!
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby MISS BUNNYPENNY » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:14 pm

what to do when your doctor won't listen

I tried sign language once but he asked me to leave :)
coventry brittle kid
I LIKE WALKING IN THE RAIN -NO 1 SEES YOUR TEARS
LORD=keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth....AMEN
Sarcasm-Its beats killing people/
Just when I was getting used to yesterday,along came today.
MISS BUNNYPENNY
UKFM Regular

Postby Angel31 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi miss BunnyPenny
I keep reading your replies, you have me in stitches! :lol: :lol:
Keep em coming

Chloe xxx
Angel31
UKFM Member

Postby Mr.A » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:03 pm

pauline wrote: I should know, for the first 12 yrs of my life I was told I had growing pains. I should be 7ft tall by now...

:lol: Nice one

... Has anyone else thought of getting the media involved? There are few things more powerful than social power, once you have a camera crew convinced of your pain then you can make your GP look like an insensative, uncaring bastard, only problem is that few people have actually have a film crew at their disposal. On top of that you have to worry about producers making you look bad in an attempt to show both sides of the coin.
Mr.A
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services