who do i need to see

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

who do i need to see

Postby fliss » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:12 pm

hi all,ive been thinkin the only contact i hav with any professional is my gp,iv noticed alot of people hav rheumatologist,physio,occ health,etc.am i missin out on treatment ??i did see a physio last yr about my hypermobility but he basically said he cudnt help me as he seemed to thinkin as iv had physio umpteen times previous that i know it all.if any1 can advise me wat i shud ask for,as my gp has said i probably wont make it back to work due to it bein hard to treat fibro with my hyper.thanks in advance for any info any1 can give mexx :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :hugs:
fliss
UKFM Member

Re: who do i need to see

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:43 pm

You're normally referred to the rheumi for diagnosis, or if your GP feels seeing one could be beneficial for you.

Physio, hydro, pain clinic maybe be available in your area, so that's the kind of thing you could ask your GP about. Occupational Therapists are the kind of people who help if you're having problems around the house etc. They tend to come and do an assessment, then based on their findings, go thru what may be of use to you for making things that bit easier. Again, your GP should know about what is available and what is needed for referral.

Unfortunately tho, not everything is available in every area :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:33 pm

It depends what your doc thinks is suitable really and as Flup says what is available in your area :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: you get some treatment that helps :wave: :wave: :wave:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:46 am

What Denys and Flup said.

I also saw a Hand Therapist, basically my Physio was at St George's in Tooting and he was lovely. He said he wanted to think of everything he could and he sent me to Hydro and Hand therapy as well. Hand therapy basically looked at tools to make my life easier such as special jar openers, wrist support etc (so similar to Occ Therapist just focused from Wrist to Fingernails).

I'm also hypermobile and discovered from the Hand Therapy that I'm deforming my finger joints because I didn't learn to write properly, when I write with my right hand my thumb rests on the middle joint of my first finger, when it's with my left I write properly but as I'm naturally slightly right handed (I do everything with it, my fork is in that hand as well which means people often think I'm a leftie) I do find it's easier to write with the right hand. So now I'm able to correct the positioning. So it might be worth seeing if Hand Therapy is available in your area, I think it's a bit of a Postcode Lottery with that one though.

My Physio was also slightly Hypermobile so I was lucky there, we focused on exercises to strengthen my ankle muscles as they're my worst joints, and they were his worst joints so he did for me what he found had helped him. If you're severely Hypermobile then you might be a bit limited, but your last Physio sounded a bit dismissive without actually trying anything so if I were you I'd ask to give another one a try.

Or Hydro might be a better option as the water will take your weight off your joints and it might be a safer option if you're prone to dislocation or subluxation. Definitely worth speaking to your GP to see what's in your area.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby fliss » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:32 pm

thanks for all of ur advice,im seein gp next week,so im gonna bring all these up see what he can offer xx
fliss
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services