Can anybody help please?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Can anybody help please?

Postby tine » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:30 am

Hi

Has anybody got any suggestions how to convince my GP that fibro can be serious?

I was diagnosed a year ago as having Fibro by a rheumy (private) since then I have struggled on at work. My symptoms have now got worse and I am finding it impossible to carry on, I have problems moving my limbs , pain , problems with memory, balance, sight, extreme fatigue ect. I'm sure you are all familiar with the list.
My problem is with my GP, he seems to think that all I need to do is some exercise and I will be cured. I have had to really plead to get him to give me a sick note for a month off work, this runs out next week and I know that he will not give me another - the thought of struggling to work is making me really panic and don't know what to do, I know that I will not be physically able to go.

I'm not being lazy and don't know what to do - this extra worry is making me feel worse but I cannot afford to just give up work. My quality of life is getting quite unbearable now and going back to work will push me over the edge.

I'd be really greatful for any suggestions as I'm at my wits end with worry

So sorry that this post is so miserable.

Thanks

Tine :cry:
tine
UKFM Member

Postby cat123 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:59 am

hi tine,im afraid theres only one thing you can do thats change your dr.im really sorry your dr is like this ,but there are many out their like him.Maybe there is someone on this forum who lives in your area,who can recommend a gp if you tell us the area you live in .Its worth trying.take care ,try not to worry too much.......cat
cat123
UKFM Member

Postby luuluu » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:10 pm

Hi Tine

Sorry to here your struggling, I know that keeping on working is difficult and I as you can't afford to give it up.

As cat said I think the only way is to change your doctor, is there another doctor in your practice you could ask to see ?

I spent a very long time trying to convince my doctor that fibro was a real and debilatating thing until he eventually refered me to the rheumatologist, I shant be going back to him again now as I have lost all faith in him as a gp.

Good luck Tine

luuluu
xxxxx
luuluu
UKFM Member

Postby crazyhog » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi Tine
What a nightmare. As if its not bad enough having to cope with the syptoms of FM theres the added stress of a doctors uneducated view :evil: It just doesnt help does it. Sorry youre struggling. As suggested go to another GP its the only option i think.

A locum doctor i saw a few months back told me I should get more exercise. Was gobsmacked. Ive been a professional dog walker for 3 years and briskly walk, run & play with up to 22 dogs in a day. What other exercise is he talking about I wonder. :roll: :wink: :wink:

Good luck

crazyhog
crazyhog
UKFM Member

Postby pauline » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:00 pm

:evil: Sounds to me as though HE SHOULD EXERCISE HIS BRAIN before he puts his mouth into gear grrrrrrrrrrrrr............pauline
pauline
UKFM Member

Postby tina » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:05 pm

hi tine, my doctor was similar and did not take me seriously until i gave up work. I too struggled for 3 yrs after diag but i gould not cope any more and found that my mental health, as well as family were suffering and causing as much pain as the FM. Stand by your guns!! only you know how you truly feel and if necessary do as others have suggested and change DR. either within practice or move. You have a right to be heard fairly.!!

good luck tina
if the sun ain't smiling give it a help in hand!!!!
tina
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services