Seen by private rheumy

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Seen by private rheumy

Postby coral » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Haven't posted on here for quite a while. I finally decided that I wasn't getting anywhere with my GP's who wouldn't refer me to a rheumy so I had to pay to see one. The consultant I saw was brilliant and he answered so many questions for me. He did actually confirm that I do have Fibromyalgia after 3 years of 2 of my gps saying they think I have some form of Fibro to a 3rd disagreeing. I know there's no cure but the relief I got today after having my questions answered was just peace of mind. I had a sore tongue for almost 2 years, my gp's didn't have a clue but the rheumy said he's seen lots of Fibro patients who has had this conditions and its caused from being run down, also constant sore throats. My last gp when I asked him if the sore throat I'd had for the past 3 months was anything to do with Fibro he just looked at me stupid and said "you don't get things like this with fibro".

Anyway consultant is writing to my gp to confirm diagnosis and recommending 2 other drugs for me to try along with the Ami's that I take but he wants the Ami's to be put up a bit as I'm currently on 50mg a night.

So peace of mind and learning to accept and deal with it. No more googling for bone cancer, throat cancer and a 100 and 1 things that I always thought were serious life threatening illnesses.

Oh yes I forgot to mention. He thinks that I've had this since a child (I;m 50 now) when I told him that as a little girl I suffered terrible pains in both my legs and the gp was forever being called out. In them days they called it either Rheumatic or growing pains and I've read of other people being diagnosed later in life with Fibro that have said about their legs aching in childhood.
coral
UKFM Member

Re: Seen by private rheumy

Postby Ldyalb » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:24 pm

Glad you've finally got a diagnosis, shouldn't have cost you money though :evil:

I too had achy legs as a child, esp when walking and into my teens, always put down to 'growing pains' or 'tendonitis' (sometimes it was tendonitis as the meds cleared it up) but every time something hurt it was my 'age' (really, from 4 to 15? at what age does it stop!?) if not one of the other two. I had RLS as a child too, although that only got confirmed recently.

My Maternal Grandmother has Fibro, she was diagnosed with Fibrositis at 17 and Fibromyalgia in the early 90s when she was in her 50s, same condition, different names. She was also told she had 'growing pains' a lot. My Mum was diagnosed with Rheumatism at 14 after her 'growing pains' were causing her to have to stop Cross Country Running (she used to hide from the teachers and get the bus back to the school and then rejoin the runners. She grew up on an island so they ran around it and the town, instead of running round the school field repeatedly).

I hate the term growing pains with a passion. Since when did growing have to hurt??!
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:13 pm

Glad you've finally go a dx coral, pity you've had to go private to get your answer tho :-x :-x I find it frustrating when such vague comments like you had are made :-x :-x You can't just have a touch of, or some form of FM, it's either yes or no, with everyone being affected in their own particular way :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now you've got a definite dx, hopefully your GP will start to be a bit more supportive for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby coral » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:45 am

Thanks both. I had to pay private because all my gp's refused to refer me, even though I have been asking for the last 2 years. I am so glad to finally been told and now I know that I've definitely got it then I can accept it more. He was a lovely doctor, asked me loads of questions about my health from a young age and he found all my tender points.
The pains in my legs used to be so bad when I was little. Always remember waking up crying in pain and my mother rubbing algipan in my legs then I'd cry more then cos the cream would burn my legs. Couldn't win lol.
Another sleepless night by the looks, restless legs playing up something chronic tonight.
coral
UKFM Member

Postby loubie » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:47 am

stupid gp's :evil:
that's like saying your a little bit pregnant! you should not have had to pay to see someone :shock:

any-ho, glad you did and you have some answers
like you say you can try to accept now and stop worrying so much :-)

i also think i have had mine since childhood, i remember lots of hurty things
the worse being sitting at school desks trying to write, my shoulders would just be
killing me, with pins and needles right across and up my neck :yikes:
i always thought my head was to heavy :lol: not with brains though :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i hope you get some meds to help you better now :fingerscrossed: :flowers:
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Glad you've finally got an answer Coral though as the others have said you shouldn't have had to pay :yikes: :yikes: hopefully now you've got the correct medication and diagnosis you'll start to get some relief :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:29 pm

Glad you got the answers but its not right you had to pay to get them :nono: :fingerscrossed: your GP will be more understanding now and you wont have any problems getting the meds. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Azz » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:10 pm

Glad things have been sorted out for you, I am still waiting to see a Rheumy doctor put my Amitriptyline up to 50mg last Thursday, she said if I have not heard from them by end on January she will contact them again.
Hannah xx

To live life to the full, is to be true to myself. By being true to myself I live life to the full :)
Azz
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services