[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4780: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3898)
The UKFibromyalgia Forums • View topic - depression/ptsd

depression/ptsd

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

depression/ptsd

Postby animalhouse » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:29 pm

went to doctors last week and finally broke down and said i am fed up of being in pain and wondered if there is somethign that can be done.

she referred me for xrays on wrists, but they have come back clear apart from a negative left ulna whatever that means.

i also said i am finding it hard to accept the illness itself and that there isn't anything that can be done and finding it difficult to go out and face past friends/family etc because of the fibro and also going out driving because i was in a crash during the winter.

just nipped out now to shop and it started sleeting and i felt like i was there at that moment before teh ?£?£ ran into me. it like i am in a tunnel vision and nothign else around me is happening i am just looking at the road.

anyway she has refered me for counselling and that letter came today so i need to follow that up.

i just don;t know what to say and am stressing abit now coming up to xmas as i didn't go to family next xmas but what do i say what is wrong with me, i am too embarrased to ask for help, i llook ok except weight gain i cant do some things but i look fine. :crazy: :crazy:

i have tended to just brush it off i have a bad back or wrists people can accept that, cant be bothered to get into i a have fibro - what?
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Re: depression/ptsd

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:13 am

Animalhouse, you had duplicated your post, so I've deleted one of them, save you getting duplicated replies :wave: :wave:

Sorry to read what you're feeling at the moment, hopefully when you start the counselling, you'll be able to find the right ways for you to deal with these thoughts and start to accept how life is for you with FM. Starting on the road to finding your way to acceptance is daunting, and at times you may question what you're doing, but as you work thru things, it will hopefully get easier and you'll get yourself into the place you want to be :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Christmas is stressing me out as well, and I doubt it's only the 2 of us that are feeling this way. As for telling people what is wrong, that's never an easy one to answer :facepalm: :facepalm: These days I tell them that I have FM, and ask them if they would like to know more about what it is and how it is affecting me. Most tend to scuttle off, as if they're scared, whereas the ones that are genuine stay and listen and do their best to understand. As for the ones who don't want to know, I just work on the basis that their actions say far more about them than me, and it's surprising how many others share the same thoughts about them.

Have you got any idea of what you want to do for Christmas, or anything you would like to do, people you'd like to see or anything?? Depending on what, where and so on, you may be able to arrange some things so that you can do these things without it causing you too much pain and consternation.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Tricia_TD » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:34 pm

I can relate to you not wanting to go out as I have depression too, but, from experience, the worst thing you can do is to stay in the house. Your counsellor will give you ways of handling your depression and ptsd, and be prepared to get homework to do!

I've learned over the years that the people who are true friends will stand by you no matter what, so I tell them the truth. I feel stronger for doing that, and it's up to them how they react to my illnesses. I didn't ask to be ill and neither did you.

I know it's very difficult and sometime feels hopeless, but things will start to get better in small ways. Take things in baby steps and then feel proud that you've managed them.

Tricia
Endometriosis ~ Depression ~ Anxiety ~ Sleep Apnoea ~ Fibromyalgia

Worldwide Endometriosis Support Forum
Tricia_TD
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:32 pm

Hi animalhouse, Sorry to hear that you have PTSD on top of depression and fibro. I was diagnosed with PTSD in counselling 3 years ago, and my experience of counselling (two lots now) is that they will help you find what you want to talk about, it's not that they tell you what to talk about so much as use guiding questions that help you to find where you are.

I'm sorry I'm no good with the Christmas thing though as I don't keep Christmas....
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services