Got my Rheumatologist appt tomorrow am

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Got my Rheumatologist appt tomorrow am

Postby diddydani » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 pm

Got my appt through after being referred last monday!

Im so nervous- last week I felt at deaths door and now Im feeling better- sods law its just intime to see Rheumy (not that Im wishing to be ill its just hard to explain when you are not in the middle of a flare)

I feel like a fraud- I have written everything down but its almost like I cant remember how bad I feel until I feel bad. Im guessing if hes worth his salt- hell be used to the ups and downs (and he best be worth it as its private...)

fingers crossed

ps- first day back to work today- bit tired but obv no that bad if im still up

xxx
diddydani
UKFM Member

Re: Got my Rheumatologist appt tomorrow am

Postby shazq » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:02 pm

:goodluck1: hope everything went ok.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby diddydani » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:04 pm

shazq wrote::goodluck1: hope everything went ok.

HALLO!!

well appt went really well. My Rheumatologist is Dr Dahiya and he was very thorough- he did prompt me quite a bit when I was scrambling through my lists - by the time I got them out I realised we had covered everything on them. He was very experienced and I found myself nodding saying 'yes I have that, yes and that...'

I must say the tender point examination was excruciating - after five I was begging him to let me catch my breath between 'presses' and by the time he got to eleven I was crying so hysterically he turned and apologised to my partner who was sitting helpless watching.

He was satisfied with 11 and stopped prodding and said that I was the most tender he had seen in a while. confirmed my diagnoses of Fibromyalgia - is putting me BACK on amytriptyline after 6 weeks of citralopram. to stop taking arcoxia and arthotec and start rehabilitation cardiovascular excercise eventually aiming for 3 hours a week. He seemed confident I would 'recover' in 2 years- which is contrary to everything I have read so far?

He commented that working 50 hours as a childminder and then being a mum of two I am never off duty- he said that when doing exercise I need to go to a gym or somewhere away from home as half the therapy is getting away from my responsibilities and learning to switch off. He did suggest reducing my hours if I felt the drop in wages would not cause me anxiety.

So I have to go back in 3 months...thats about it.

Dxx
diddydani
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:35 pm

Sounds like it went well for you dani and you were treated as a person :clap: :clap: :clap: I'm not sure about recovering in a couple of years tho :facepalm: :facepalm: You may be fortunate and have it go dormant for a while, which seems to be the closest thing we have to "recovery" at the moment :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: Hope those amis don't take too long to kick back in for you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi Dani, glad it went well but as Flup has said find it difficult to understand how he can be so precise but who knows, stay positive and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: he is right and you get some relief and manage to get it under control :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:17 pm

Hi
Your visit was sounding quite promising with the Rheumy until you got to the part where he said " confident I would 'recover' in 2 years" :banghead: :banghead: :hit1: :hit1: :facepalm: you should of asked for that in writing :lol: :lol: :lol: wish they wouldnt build peoples hopes up, yes its good to be positive but we have yet to hear from anyone who has recovered. :crazy: :crazy:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby diddydani » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:05 pm

shazq wrote:Hi
Your visit was sounding quite promising with the Rheumy until you got to the part where he said " confident I would 'recover' in 2 years" :banghead: :banghead: :hit1: :hit1: :facepalm: you should of asked for that in writing :lol: :lol: :lol: wish they wouldnt build peoples hopes up, yes its good to be positive but we have yet to hear from anyone who has recovered. :crazy: :crazy:

My ears did prick up when he said that- Ive done extensive reading and I have not heard of the recovery he speaks of, pnly maybe remission. Im quite luck that Ill have a good week then a bad week some days very little/no pain just a bit tired and then be wiped out for 2 weeks.

He did strike me as a positive thinking doctor when he told me that 3 of his female patients have gone on to run marathons after undertaking rehabilitation exercises,.....
diddydani
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Was he sure they had FM in the first place?????????????????????????????????????
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby buxbunny » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 am

woot a victory for us. Congrats!!!

Hopefully mine goes as good next week!

I hope my Rheumy dies so i can get a more sympthatic one. omg no jking dark humor is how i cope. :crazy:

I have question about pressure points i dunno if i it's because i have high pain tollerence or if my body does it on purpose but when my pressure points are pressed although i feeel the pain cause i always feel it i dont say it hurts even if does or they just seem to vanish while im being examined if that makes sense? is that normal?
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby diddydani » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:58 pm

buxbunny wrote:woot a victory for us. Congrats!!!

Hopefully mine goes as good next week!

I hope my Rheumy dies so i can get a more sympthatic one. omg no jking dark humor is how i cope. :crazy:

I have question about pressure points i dunno if i it's because i have high pain tollerence or if my body does it on purpose but when my pressure points are pressed although i feeel the pain cause i always feel it i dont say it hurts even if does or they just seem to vanish while im being examined if that makes sense? is that normal?

Despite feeling around for them myself- I couldnt find any tender points. when the rheumy pressed mine I hit the ceiling and burst into tears. however I had just come out of a nasty flare. Maybe it depends how you are feeling at the time?

Dx
diddydani
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 pm

When trying to check the pressure points, the angle and way you go about it is going to be very different to what a rheumy will do. If you try and do it yourself, you'll be reaching round things in all sorts of ways to find them, then when it comes to pressing them, you may not be applying the right kind or equal pressure. When a rheumy does it tho, they can easily reach them as they haven't got to twist and reach round to find them, plus they can apply an equal amount of pressure on each point to check the reaction.

The rare times I've let OH try and massage a particularly bad area, which tends to be around my neck, he has touched one by accident, which has ended up with me having to be scraped off the ceiling :shock: :shock: :shock: :nono: :nono: :nono:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Doctors & Health Services