Anyone had their medical History changed?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Anyone had their medical History changed?

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Basically I requested a summary of my medical history today which I have since got (I planned to attach it to my DLA form). Despite 23 years of ill health it's only one sheet of A4 long (my 71 year old Father's is about 7 pages!).

It's also littered with errors. On 3 seperate occasions it records a family history of Breast Cancer (maternal grandmother). The 2nd times are fine. However one is listed FOUR months before she was diagnosed, in 2007 which is the only year of my life when I never went to the Drs once...

Under 'Active Medical Problems' it reads - NONE. No I am not joking! It should say; Eczema, Rosacea, Dyspraxia, Fibro, Hypermobility and RLS. But it says NONE.

Eczema is recorded as self-resolving in 1990. Fibromyalgia is recorded as a 'former disease'. The other 4 aren't mentioned once. However it does helpfully record that in October 2002 my 14 year old self sprained her ankle... really useful info on a serious medical issue that...

But the funny thing is that underneath where it says I have no active medical problems it lists over 10 current prescriptions... so according to them I'm on loads of meds for no reason!?

So I'm seeing my GP on Thursday, I want to discuss my DLA form with him (I'm giving him what I have written so he knows exactly how much I am struggling at the moment for when he writes my report, don't want him to write it based on my medical history...!) I'm also chasing up my Fibro clinic referral (it's been over a month, why haven't I been referred to one yet!?) and the scans the Rheumy said I need to screen me for Arthritis (my finger joints are getting worse, they're swelling up and turning red :().

So now I have to add 'what on earth's wrong with my medical history?!?' to that list.

Has anyone ever had their medical records changed? I want to tell my surgery it's littered with errors and needs updating. The Receptionist who printed them off for me over the phone told me my medical records only recorded my Ulcerative Colitis this morning. When I told her i didn't have UC she had to apologise as she'd read me someone else's medical history... Does anyone know what I have to do?

This has happened before, when I was 6 months old my Mother and Father moved to Stoke. When I had a check up the Nurse was listing a list of illnesses she was screening me for, when my Mother said she'd never heard of them the Nurse reassured her they were uncommon in the UK, but 'as Ldyalb is half Greek we need to check illnesses common in the Greek community'.

My Mum explained that 'ldyalb is not half Greek, she's half Welsh, half English and was born in Leicester' the Nurse said 'oh well we put her Father down as Greek on her records because we thought that Greek gentleman you registered with was her Father'. My Mum replied that 'that Greek gentleman IS her Father, BUT he's a Romany Gypsy from Lincolnshire who has no Greek heritage AND his name is 'Peter Thomas William *Common English Surname*!'.

The Nurse's response? 'Oh well he looks Greek, and Ldyalb looks Greek so we assumed that they were...' :facepalm: You can't just 'assume' people's ethnic backgrounds! :shock:

I'm surprised my records still don't state Greek to be honest. I think all faith in the NHS has left me today.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Re: Anyone had their medical History changed?

Postby ribbons » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:50 am

i haven't had this problem but good luck and let us know what happens x
ribbons
UKFM Member

Postby Lubilou » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:53 pm

I'd also write to the practice manager, apart from the other concerns she has read out someone else's medical history, fundamentally she also broke confidentiality.

Medical history is relatively easy to alter on a computer system, taking a medical history is taught to all Drs (and health care professionals!)

I have no idea where to start on the statements about the Greek information (can't think of how else to describe it!). It's quite frightening and can have implications on care. Bleeding stupid it is. Also let your practice manager know about this.
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm seeing my GP tomorrow, I'll speak to him about this once I've sorted 100 other things out (why do things with Fibro not happen one at a time?). I'll update from there and speak to Reception to find out who the practice manager is.

The same surgery had a GP I had to see last minute about a UTI. He gave me someone else's prescription by mistake! I said to him 'excuse me but this isn't my prescription, it's someone else's and it was issued a month ago..' he looked shocked, did a :facepalm: and said 'oh I must have forgotten to give them it and it's been lying on my desk...'

It was a MONTH old!! Surely as a GP he knows how important it is to wipe your desk down!?

Plus he gave me someone else's prescription, with their address on etc... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I miss my London surgery. They were a bit trigger happy with the 'let's see how you are in a month before we do anything' but at least they managed to issue prescriptions correctly and keep personal information private.

ps: the Greek thing was a different surgery 23 years ago when I was a newborn. Mum went ape on them though. I wish I'd been old enough to remember it, she's awesome when she's angry with someone who isn't me :-D
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby buxbunny » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Wow they never cease to amaze me. How are these people given medical license to "practice" medicine. I quote practice cause i can't imagine them taking this seriously in any shape or form.

I too requested my medical history but was told they haven't received it (it's been about 2 months since i registered.) and when they do get it it will cost me £50 for a copy. I honestly don't understand why it cost so much money to request information on one self but i imagine they would log it under admin fees but I'm pretty sure printing of a blank sheet of paper or even ten sheets and me coming round to collect it is not in the region of £50. (I assume it is blank cause every other doctor never seems to know what going on with me so i assume they are on facebook typing away pretending to enter information into my history.)
What is data protection for?

I'm very interested in how this goes for you as I'm sure i will have to alter my whole medical history so keep us posted on how it goes and i'lltry to do same.

Best luck and hope you enjoy your holiday (FM permitting)
Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.
buxbunny
UKFM Member

Postby Lubilou » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:28 am

Getting a personal copy of medical notes - they are 'allowed' to charge for photocopying to a MAX of £50, IF they've not been updated in the last 40 days.

you can read more here -http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68&subcategoryid=160 and about charges here -http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/fees-for-accessing-medical-or-health-records.aspx
Lubilou
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:35 pm

I've had a LOT of my medical history 'just go missing' That's right, Missing. I paid for access to my medical history just before I changed practice and my pre-2008 medical history was just missing. It turned out that at least one of my previous doctors surgeries didn't send my complete medical history through to the next surgery I was registered with. This reminds me I need to check whether or not the complete history has come through to my new doctors.

Now this was important because the following was just missing from my medical history:

without dates: Finger nail completely ripped off it's base, Calcified Epithelioma, 'growing pains' in knees, Tinnitus, 'Stress' Nausea, Serious Car Accident, 'Oesophageal reflux'. All this as well as the various silly little doctors visits we make.

After a few inquiries, they found some of my records, but unless a miracle has happened my present doctors has still only got incomplete records. Personally I put it down to the doctors going from hand written notes (only putting on a computer after they had hand written those notes) to everything being put on computer.

Ldyalb, sorry to hear your story. I hope that things improve, but if they don't tell them that you will take it all further. T?his usually produces results.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:19 pm

:-) Hi there, hope your ok - yes, you can have rights to seeing your medical records as well as changing it, if you feel that there is an error in it.....I think that the doctor has to approve that there has been an error/change of circumstances, as well - but I am not 100% sure of the laws of medical laws.....contact your doctor's surgery and speak to the manager about this issue. I know with myself, one my records I have anxiety for ages written down as one of my main conditions, then I asked one of the gp's at my local surgery to change anxiety specifically into agoraphobia without panic attacks - she luckily did it for me, which is could. I think that the doctor will have to note that your files may contain a change of circumstances - basically they will leave the old errors with the new information on it. I hope that this helps. Take care. xxxx
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services