1st visit to a physiotherapist

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

1st visit to a physiotherapist

Postby sharon28 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Hi there everyone,

I had my first visit yesterday to see a physio. She was so lovely and understanding and obviously she was very knollegable about

Fibromyalgia.

she went through a questionaire. Got me to do a whole series of timed exercises which i had to count. ( i lost count so many times as i was

concentrating so hard on the exercises and guessed some of them!), but which i thought i did quite well at. She only had to stop me once

as i was really struggling. I was really pushing myself through the pain barriers, but didn't let on! I didn't realise just how unfit i am now. Such

simple exercises, but it was hard going.

I have to do these execises every day!!! And i have been invited to attend a series of 8 group sessions covering all aspects of FM. I get to

meet other newly diagnosed people and learn more. At the end of the course i have to repeat my exercises to gauge if i have made

improvement??? I'm dubious. Do they think this will cure us? I am "up" for it as i want to help myself.

I had such a bad headache after the session, with back, shoulder and neck pain which i have woken up with this morning. Not feeling too

good at all and really don't feel like doing those damn exercises!!

I do however believe that i am getting such good care/treatment for someone so newly diagnosed. I am scared though that they will expect

me to be cured.

Anyway, i thought i'd share my experiecne with you. Thankyou for reading!!

Sharon :cup1:
sharon28
UKFM Member

Re: 1st visit to a physiotherapist

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:51 pm

:xmaswave1: :xmaswave1: :xmaswave1: Sharon, what you had yesterday sounds like a really positive experience for you :clap: :clap: :clap:

I don't think it's a case of being "cured" with the sessions, exercises and whatever else you could be doing. It will probably be more a case of seeing how you have progressed in increasing your flexibility, stamina and fitness levels with the exercises and things.

As well as working with the physio, hopefully being with a group of fellow FMers will help as well, with you all encouraging each other thru it and things :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Hope you get a lot out of the sessions, and you may come away with some new friends as well :clap: :clap: :clap:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby ribbons » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:16 pm

I went on something similar and although there was only one other person with fibro (the rest had chronic back pain) we had sessions about sleeping, tablets etc. We had hydrotherapy and it was such a fantastic group, everyone really supported each other and still keep in touch. It really was a positive experience!

Hope you enjoy it xx
ribbons
UKFM Member

Postby sharon28 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:25 pm

I don't think it's a case of being "cured" with the sessions, exercises and whatever else you could be doing. It will probably be more a case of seeing how you have progressed in increasing your flexibility, stamina and fitness levels with the exercises and things.

Thankyou FluppyPuffy,

I think that is probably what i was wanting to say but i'm just not finding the words! I think this along with the tiredness is the hardest part for me.
I moved to Mansfield just over a year ago and have no friends apart form my partner and his family. ( the job i had was in community care, mental health working one to one. It was lonely and hard going on me)
Sad way to make friends i think BUT atleast as you say we will all have something in common and can hopefully "bounce" off one another, lol.

many thanks again,

Sharon xx :cup1: :flowers:
sharon28
UKFM Member

Postby fibro-lu » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:54 pm

hi sharon,
this all sounds very good
and regards friends, it is a start
wished i would have had that
:wave:
lu
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby Stranger » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:19 pm

hey sharon, i had my first visit to a physiotherapist the other day too. on monday. it was a bit too touchy feely for me :-D but he was quite understanding and did not put any pressure on me. i was meant to see a clinical psychologist too but she wasn't in that day. i should be seeing her on friday. have you seen a psychologist? i was told i could join a pain management group or i could have guided sessions alone. i'm not sure which one i should choose. i've always been quite a solitary person but i like the idea of being able to fade into a crowd if the going gets tough :-)
S
Stranger
UKFM Member

Postby sharon28 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:59 am

Hi there Fibro-lu and stranger,

Thankyou for your replies. I love this forum. I'm amongst face-less freinds who i feel good to share my problems etc with xx. Maybe i have been lucky with my hospital. (Kingsmill, Mansfield, Notts). They appear to be on the ball with trying to help people with FM here. I start my course on the 4th of Jan. I will be in a group of 12 newbies and my physio said there are 2 other groups each week which are always full. There are an awful lot of us people around. I was shocked when she told me the amount of others out there being diagnosed sadly!!
I have had dreadful shoulder/neck pain and woken the past 3 days since commencing the exercises. I hope this does not continue! I did my first set of exercises yesterday. Not done them today yet as my neck is so painfull and like i said i have a bad head :(
My GP is referring me to councelling as i had to deal with a someones elses bereavement (work related) and helping her has had a profound effect on me sadly. He was a young man of 24. Passed away suddenly. Won't go into details but all i can say is all i could do was put myself in her situation and replaced her son with mine! Its been awful because i love my son so much and couldnt bear the thought of loosing him. (he's 19 and at uni) I have refrained from calling him. I have sort of cut off contact as if i'm preparing myself for loosing him. Silly i know but it was a profoundly sad time and i still haven't come to terms with this young mans death. It was shortly after this (Aug) that i have what i believe is my first Fibro flare although i have had many symptoms for years.

Sorry to warble on,

My love to you all,

Sharon xx :flowers: :cup1:
sharon28
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services