Co-dydramol, and pleasant visit to GP.

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Co-dydramol, and pleasant visit to GP.

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 am

I've just been prescribed co-dydramol today by my GP, either 1 or 2 tablets 4times a day. I'm going to start off on the lowest and work my way up if I need be.
600mg ibuprofen and paracetamol was having no affect, although the ibu, when first prescribed was effective.
Just been reading up on this and it seems quite a few horror stories, constipation, getting addictive etc. Anybody have their own experiences on this?
I also suffer from IBS and co-codamol gave me an upset stomach.

He also noticed me limping a lot more and asked if I was still suffering groin problems, previously I went in and complained about a lumpy feeling in my groin causing me huge discomfort and truthfully I totally forgot I had complained about it before, although this is now added to my list of pains for rheumy. I explained it was my legs, hips, joints, muscles and so on and he said he'd chase up rheumy and see if I can be seen sooner.

I'd also mentioned "to have it in the notes so if I do ask it's not much of a shock" that I was thinking about going back onto anti-depressants. I've been cold turkey for around a year due to discovering liver issues, fatty and scar tissue, some increased liver level was shown in blood tests. He said it was a good idea as there's is some known link between a shared chemical (totally forgotten the name of it) that the body produces that's linked between pain and depression and basically the body feeds off it making each one worse and it's a downward spiral type thing.

Just thought I'd share my wee trip since there's a lot of negative GP threads.

As I said in my introduction thread I'm not diagnosed with anything but I've been a long term sufferer of joint paints and it's nice to think that I am getting somewhere and I no longer feel helpless and although fibro is a life long condition, it's no longer just something I need to learn to live with. If that last bit makes sense even though I need to learn to live with fibro.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Re: Co-dydramol, and pleasant visit to GP.

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:55 pm

It sounds like it was a good appt all round for you Ross. Hopefully, with your GP chasing the rheumy appt you won't have to wait too much longer to see what name you give to your various symptoms :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

You're doing the right thing with starting at a lower dosage then increasing it as and when needed. Hopefully it will mean you don't get too used to the med too quickly and it will ring you some relief for quite a while to come :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: The habit forming possibilities are something to consider, esp against the effectiveness of the med. If it brings some easing and relief, the the habit forming aspect of the med tends to fall down the list of priorities.

The anti-ds used in conditions such as FM tend to be for helping with pain and sleep problems. Some of the older style ones, such as amitriptyline, have been found to have these effects at lower dosage levels, and can make a difference to how things feel.

It's always good to hear about a decent appt and dr, helps us to know that there are some good ones out there :wave: :wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby shazq » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi Ross

My OH is on co-dydramol (he has fibro as well) they are a good med.
Most of our meds are addictive but if you are going to be on them long term the only worry you have will be when you come off them but your GP will wean you off them slowly so dont worry about the addictive side all the strong painkillers are the same.

Alot of meds also cause constipation which can be a problem especially as most of us are on a combo of meds :roll: i use lactulose with is a natural laxative when i get bad.

Its always good to hear of good Gp`s, it does make a big difference. I have a good doc as well. :-D
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:37 pm

Cheers guys, I thought I was experiencing some side effects after taking my first one this morning, but my afternoon tablet I seem to be fine *touch wood*

Currently I wouldn't actually say there's much relief given but it's early day so going to keep popping them! Weirdly my mood also feels perkier but that may just down to having a good day!
Still hobling around and refused to go into both shops today while we were out in the car due to the pain, or almost the fear of the pain, if fear would be the right word.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Nice to hear some positive news coming from your GP visit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:53 pm

If you do get constipated (every tablet I'm on seems to have it as a common side effect) then I can recommend Marcogol (sp?) it's a powder you mix with water and drink. It's a bit nasty tasting (Dr says it's lemon flavoured - why?!) but if you have an aniseed ball first it's ok. I tried lactulose before, pre fibro it always worked great but I found that taking it daily for months wasn't pleasant - it's quite sickly and sweet. Nice for the first few days though but after that it just stopped working. Also tried Senna with it but Senna seemed to only work when I wasn't taking it :crazy: You can also try foods like figs (great excuse to eat fig rolls ;-) ) - i find that worked well for me as a child. I once raided the snack cupboard as a small child, ate loads of figs when Mum wasn't looking and caused her to be perplexed as to why I was on the toilet all afternoon until she spotted the wrappers... :oops:

I've not tried Co-dydramol myself but different meds work so differently for different people that I wouldn't worry about the horror stories. Most meds have some side effects but not everyone gets them if any. I've had side effects (aside from constipation) to less tablets than the ones I've not had any side effects with. Sometimes we just need to play around with different meds to find what works for us, hopefully you'll find this one works well for you :-)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby Adele » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:32 pm

hi ross, co-dydramol contains dihydrocodeine (dhc) and paracetamol. dhc is known to give you a warm and happy feeling and in some studies opioids have be found to successfullt treat depression that is resistant to any other treatment. in some countries opioids are licensed to treat depression. :-D

best wishes, Adele x
Adele
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:35 pm

With what Adele said in mind I used to use Dihydrocodeine and Paracetamol (seperately) until last week when I switched to Tramacet as my pain has been getting worse.

I generally found it pretty good, codeine can be a bit harsh on the stomach but I found it really did help the pain.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Cheers guys, side effects seem ok.
The med's seem to be working, but only after taking them all day. Meaning I go to bed pain free and wake up. Today has also been hellishly bad. It's just annoying having to take them with food too.

edit:

One thing I've noticed when the pain subsides is that my muscles in my legs feel very tight and like they need stretched off, which in itself is quite an uncomfortable feeling.
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Postby tyrannosauRoss » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:39 pm

Thought I would do a wee update and say I am no off the co-dydramol and on to tramadol!

Last week I was suffering worse with my groin pain and it was keeping me up at night so made an appointment with the doctor that's dealing with all my pains. A week later was the first one!

Today was the day.

As part of our general chat and about the last time I saw him for the codydramol I said I was getting some good days but my worse days were worse. And that I was also experiencing some memory loss, as in I would remember to do something, but couldn't remember if I had done it.
Ie I would remember to take pills at 4, but by come 5 I couldn't remember if I actually taken them. There was one afternoon I felt hungry and couldn't even remember if I had lunch!

This can be caused by the pills, so he's upped the pain killing strength to help the worse days and hopefully help with this memory issue. He's also really disapointed with rhuemy as he's also tried to hurry up the appointment and we're both being told to wait the 12weeks and if we haven't heard anything by then to contact them -_-
tyrannosauRoss
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services