are you aware?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

are you aware?

Postby claire edwards » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Hi everyone
just a quickie
recently my mother in law had to contact social services regarding help around the house, they are sorting out all sorts for her i.e bath aids and probably a shower etc...
she is 51 and felt guilty for having to ask for help but after consideration decided to go for it and is glad she did.
I just thought it was worth mentioning it in case it is something that could help anyone else..
as far as i know it was a social occupational worker, she went there to them but they can come out as well.
hope it helps
take care
claire
x
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby Looby Lou » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:12 pm

That's very helpful, thanks. Does you're mother in law have FM or something else? looby x
Looby Lou
UKFM Member

Postby claire edwards » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi Looby
Mum in law has a multitude of problems bless her, she has some arthritis and heart problems.
Hope the info can be of some help.
take care
claire
xx
Diagnosed with fibromyalgia, it would be good to hear from people as a form of support and to support.
claire edwards
UKFM Member

Postby Looby Lou » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:59 pm

Thanks Clare, think I need to contact them re my mum who has same problems. Looby x
Looby Lou
UKFM Member

Social needs assessment

Postby UncleBubbles » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Hello all,
Having read the top article, I thought I ought to add my penneth. The department you need to contact is the Physical Disabilties Team normally through your local benefits office. It is the same department who deal with blue badges and bus passes.

You need to ask for an "assessment of need" to be carried out. They will first take some details, name address etc. They will then ask about your condition and what you can and can't do. Emphasise what you can't do.

Once this is done, your details will be passed on to another member of the team who will contact tou within a couple of days. Again they will ask for more details, are you officially diagnosed with FM? Who diagnosed you? What can and can't you do? Again the emphasis should be on what you cannot do for your self and the help you need.

They will then initialy allocate a social worker or therapist to you, who will make an appointment to visit you and carry out this "assessment of need". It's a good idea to have your carer with you, they can help to show what they have to do for you.

From then on it all depends on what your needs are and what funding they have available. Please remember, this is funding you are entitled to. They will also be able to help you with other forms of support and care needs in your area.

Most people say it's the best thing they ever did - I know it was for me!
Wishing you happy and well - Uncle Bubbles.
Uncle Bubbles. Holbeach, South Holland, Lincs.
I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH FM/CFS SINCE APRIL 2006. BUT HAVE HAD IT SINCE 1983!
UncleBubbles
UKFM Newbie

Return to Doctors & Health Services