EMG Test ?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

EMG Test ?

Postby mrsellgee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:21 pm

Hi everyone

have just received a letter from hospital to attend appointment for an EMG Test :yikes:
No one advised me that I was being referred for this and to be honest I am a bit :-? and a bit worried about it.
Has anyone else been for this type of test? And can anyone tell me what to expect?

Thanks
Hayley :-D
mrsellgee
UKFM Member

Re: EMG Test ?

Postby Jaycee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Hi I had these tests a couple of months ago, they test nerve and muscle function and sound a bit gross but weren't as bad as I expected
. First they tested nerves they attached a metal loop to fingers or toes and a pad to different parts of the body they gave me little electic shocks - really just a bit stronger than a static shock, it made me twitch but didn't really hurt just a zap and then it was done. I think it measured how well the nerves transmitted the shock.

Then they tested muscles by inserting needles into different muscles and getting me to work them. They did this to different muscles in arms and legs. The only one that was a bit ouch was in the collar bone area.

Like I said it sounds a bit gross but was really not too bad, definitely not as bad as I was expecting. It did leave me a bit shaky, but I do get that way sometimes, so had oh there and he drove home. The next day I did feel a bit stiff and sore but was fine by the following day.

My results were ready in a few days and showed absolutely nothing but did rule out some possible conditions so was worth it for that reason.

Hope all goes well

J
Jaycee
UKFM Member

Postby mrsellgee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Hi J

Thanks for putting my mind at rest at least I know what to expect now.

Hayley
mrsellgee
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Hi

I have not had it done but was with my OH when he had it done, the tests never hurt him, they were they same tests as Jaycee explained.

:goodluck2: with the appt.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Return to Doctors & Health Services