Return to the docs....

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Return to the docs....

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 am

Hi all,

Well - ive been struggling with fibro for a couple of years, after my first rhum appointment i was told that it could get worse, but to try and live with it for a while.

Well ive managed 2 years and i think its time to return to the docs to disucss my options. Just wanted to ask everyone what kind of things might come up? Im nervous because im totally intollerant to most meds now, i cant take strong pain killers due to stomach problems, and any anti's like ami dont agree with me, they make me feel terrible. Some doctors when confronted with these kind of things get very shirty - i think they think well if you wont take meds, why are u here.

Does anyone know of any non medicated approaches for dealing with fibro? My worst symptom at the mo is terrible aches and pains in my thighs and underarms - anyone else have this?

Thanks everyone :-)
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Re: Return to the docs....

Postby loubie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:25 am

hi
have you tried the rub on gel ?
there are lots of different ones

or maybe the patches, there are a few members on them and find them ok :-D
loubie xx

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are
no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of
UKFibromyalgia.
loubie
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:38 am

The gels can help with odd aches and pains so as Loubie has suggested I would give them a try :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:42 am

thanks all, yeah ive tried movelat, and.....another one made from chili's apparently, which i cant remember the name of lol they do indeed work short term, ive recently changed to a new dr's practice, my old practice had no clue about fibro - they gave the impression that it was a made up problem, i guess im nervous about seein a new set of docs..... :(
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:45 am

Go for it they cant be worse than your old ones :fingerscrossed: for your appointment and hope they come up with something helpful. Have you tried water bottles and heat packs as they can help too
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 am

thanks :-) yeah a hot bath helps...for a little while, i like to think if i can get a few weeks worth of solid good sleep id feel a lot better lol
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 am

:-D Hi there, I know what you mean about doctors...if you not taking a pill, they don't know what to do.....But that docs for ya, to be honest.....they don't like any alternative therapies, sadly....Have you tried asking your gp if they could prescribe something alternative to medication, like a patch or cream.....

My grandma, she is severelly bad with arthritis and she uses these rubs from chemist that have menthol and essential oils in them....But I know you can get heat or cool spray from boots the shop.....I buy it sometimes....it is strong stuff and smells abit, but does the job...

Take care. xxxx
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:37 pm

Hi James

I have been on 2 different types of pain patches in the past, have you ever given them a go? they come in different strengths,
they are called- BuTrans patch.
and the other was - Fentanyl ask your GP to give them a try.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby jamesmcg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:45 pm

hi all,

well, today i visited the docs today to talk about fibro - with my new doctors! and....hmm....well i didnt come out feeling very good. Some docs ive came across tend to be ignorant or unhelpful in terms of fibro. And some seem to be like - well take all these pills(because why wouldnt you??) and thats all we can do. Todays doc was on the latter. She was very nice, and acknowldeged fibro as a real problem which is always good, but basically said - you need meds for the depression, and meds for the pain - and if you cant/wont take either then theres nothing else i can do. Also said that returning to the rhum probably wouldnt do much good, as they would advise the same.

All of what she said was proabably true, i think for me each time i go i expect better news, which is foolish of me, but to basically be told, your stuck with this, these are things that might help - they might not, but sorry basically you need to live with it - always comes as a shock somehow, even if ive heard it all before its a bit shocking each time.

So all in all, not the worst appointment, but ive got to say i feel pretty dreadful about it all, and the choices i need to make :(
jamesmcg
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Hi James

Its hard to take in when you hear the words that this is probably how your life is going to be from now on. :hugs:

Its sods law if you dont take the meds you live your live in pain and you are unable to do things or you take a cocktail of pills but are to to have some sort of life.

Some sufferers are lucky and only have a mild form of fibro and are able to work and carry on a normal life so try not to get down, think of what you can do not what you cant. :hugs:
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:48 pm

The heat packs etc are worth a try, they're great at dealing with a more specific painful area, like a wrist or leg. They're also good at night I find as they help me to sleep and reduce the level of stiffness in my muscles the next morning.

Some people find things like acupuncture, gentle stretches or yoga help. I find massage really helps me, esp before bed as it relaxes me and kills some of the pain - if you have a partner get yourself one of these:

https://www.lush.co.uk/category/184

(the Wiccy Magic Muscles and Hottie bars are specifically for muscular aches and pains, I prefer the latter personally as it's a slightly nicer smell and doesn't excrete aduki beans all over the bed) or some massage oil and give it a try. Some people find massage too painful but you don't know until you try. Or you could even pay to go to a professional masseuse. I think there's a couple of people on here who find that helpful.

Unfortunately a lot of people with Fibro are sensitive to a lot of meds, and Drs don't always like that. My old GP got annoyed with me as I wouldn't take any meds with animal slaughter by-products in them, or Ibuprofen derived products as I'm allergic (not my fault, but hey).

One thing your Dr can do is to refer you to have Physiotherapy or Hydrotherapy (gentle exercises in a heated pool). Not everyone gets on well with them but I had both, found the Hydrotherapy relaxing (it's so much warmer than a swimming pool, it's like a giant bath you can swim in minus the bubbles) and it improved my absymal balance. I also have a problem with my ham strings so Hydro and Physio helped with that. Knowing some gentle, safe stretches to do is helpful, especially when I'm stiff and need to get to the GP or the Pharmacy that morning.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services