alternative therapies

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

alternative therapies

Postby Mozza » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Hi can I ask if anyone else has tried rheiki, gentle massage, hot stone therapy and if so was their any benefit or change?? xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Re: alternative therapies

Postby 2steps » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:30 pm

I went to college evenings and I trained in Indian Head Massage and reflexology.
We practised on each other and it was fantastic.Hubby and doggy love massage as well.
I never do any for a living too tired after work.
Reflex is great because parts of the feet correspond to parts of the body.
One girl in my class was brilliant she found all of my problem areas and I never gave her any clues.

It is expensive but if you want to be a volunteer client at your local college you should be able to get it cheaper.

2steps
2steps
UKFM Member

Postby Mozza » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Had my first session on Monday, half an hour reiki and maybe fifteen mins of gentle massage. I was told my body is completely out of alignment and the worst areas were my back, shoulders, arms, legs and feet.......didn't leave much lol!!! I can't say it made a great deal of difference as the slightest touch when massaging caused pain, however I then went home and crashed out for an hour and a half so something must have reacted. The consultant said I would need to have both twice a week and I would be attending for a lengthy period. If anyone is interested I will keep them posted. xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:22 pm

definitely keep us posted Mozza and :fingerscrossed: it helps
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Roseofsharon » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:36 pm

I loved it when I was training as a Holistic Therapist as we trained on each other. Included was Aromatherapy, Reflexology, Swedish Massage, and Advanced Massage. While I was training was when my back first flared up (although I wasn't diagnosed then). I used to love it and the massage gave me relief when my back was giving me trouble. However I would say everyone is different, I still love a good massage today (although they're fewer and further apart nowadays :( ).
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby Jaycee » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:14 am

I love a massage or hot stone, but didn't like reiki, somehow just couldn't take the deep breathing seriously but that was just me.

However, what has shocked me most is reflexology, thought I wouldn't be able to bear anyone touching my feet as am very ticklish, but tried it for the first time when just coming out of a flare and feeling desperate. I found it very intense, during the therapy my body started shaking and I felt quite teary but afterwards I felt very relaxed and was able to really cut back on my pain meds. The effects lasted about 10 days.

Hope your treatments work for you, I figure anything has to be worth a try.
J
Jaycee
UKFM Member

Postby 2steps » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:08 pm

I'm rubbish at links but if you look at todays mail on line under health there is an article about massage.
Tests done show growth in mitochondria after massage ( this is the part of the cell that gives you energy ) also dampened cytokines which contribute to inflamation.

Pain reduction is also mentioned.

2steps
2steps
UKFM Member

Postby Woodentop » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:17 pm

I certainly love some of the alternate therapies but it really is trial and error finding one that is good for you. Make sure that if you have a massage, the therapist has a knowledge of fibro or you could end up in agony. I know someone this happened to - they had a massive flare which lasted a week afterwards. Obviously therapies won't cure the condition, but I feel that even if they make you feel good just for a short while then they're worth it.
Woodentop
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:16 pm

i have a massage everyweek and the masseur has started doing relexology now at college so i get a reduced rate at the moment whilst i am being his guinea pig.

it has been great, i love my massage and make such a difference to me loosening up and stiffness, when firsts started it was unbearable pain and twitching as was so sensitive now i am able to relax much more and enjoy the benefits.

i also was surprised at the relexology as i really suffer with painful feet/ankles and all the spot related exacting to back/spine pain and sciatic nerve so has been a big help to me helping me understand my body. look forward to it everyweek so 2 hours of bliss.

as someone said its worth checking out coleges as they need alot of clients for case studies whilst practising.

anyone living in derbyshire nearly matlock him and a female student are looking for more guinea pigs i can let you have his number. only charges me a £5 for the reflexology at the moment and he usually does housecalls or has a treatment room on wednesdays at a local church hall.
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby Mozza » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:48 am

Had my second session on sunday where i received one hours reiki, it was very intense and therapist said there was a lot going on. Got up yesterday and cleaned all my kitchen cupboards, not only the least pain i've felt in months but also the most human i've felt in months. Not so good today obviously did too much yesterday but if i can feel human and normal for a short time a week i'll settle for that. Going again today for reiki and hotstones so might be found cleaning windows tomorrow, lol,will wait and see. I agree with above post re students and discounts for guinea pigging, we are after all our own doctors, knowing what we can manage and put up with. It may work for some and not others,like so many other aspects of fibro, however if we don't try we'll never know. Xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi Mozza glad its working and :fingerscrossed: it will continue to give you relief keep us updated cos as you say even if it doesnt help some it may well work for others :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Mozza » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Had another session of reiki yesterday, this time the focus was on my stomach as my IBS has been terrible the past few weeks. Apart from being a bit 'windy' last night :yikes: can't say I've noticed much difference.........yet. I also had my review with my, (not as patient as he used to be) doctor this week who has put my sweats down to menopause and my groin pain down to a pulled muscle mmmmmmmm. I was given a quick exam and left on the table to struggle to get up and sent home with a slip telling me to get Black Cohosh. Anyone any thoughts or experience of this? Was thinking perhaps the sweats were related to the amount of gabapentin I'm consuming?? xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi Mozza

You sweats could be linked to all 3, menopause, fibro & meds :dunno:
You could ask your GP to do a blood test to see if you are going through the change, that will tick one off the list.

With fibro our thermostat is broken so its very hard to control our body heat, we are either to hot or to cold. :roll:

A lot of the meds do have side effects.

I have never used Black Cohosh but please check with your GP before trying them as they could interfere with the meds you are already taking.

Hope you can find the answer to your sweats :goodluck1: (mine was menopause)
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby Mozza » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for info shazq, when doc suggested menopause he also suggested blood test but then said even if it came back negative I could still be going through it so didn't see the point.........he suggested the black cohosh but after googling it and reading it can have headache and nausea side effects I thought I would give that a miss too as I think there's enough going on at the moment. The sweats have been going on for about three years now and each time they tested for menopause it's came back negative, I used to annoy my hubbie by saying he'd installed heating in the car seat because I was always complaining of being frozen then suddenly began sweating......no happy medium with fibro is there :roll: xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Definitely no happy medium for us Mozza :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: I'm always at one extreme or the other were temperature is concerned as well :facepalm: :facepalm:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Doctors & Health Services