Traumatized after visiting daughters new doctor

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Traumatized after visiting daughters new doctor

Postby trafficklights » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:13 pm

I wanted to post a comment last night but i was too traumatized.

My daughter has endometriosis, bi polar, panic attacks after a near fatal car accident where she survived unscathed but has chronic back problems.

Her back pain was severe yesterday so i met her at the surgery on way back from wales. The moment we saw doctor mcintyre or whatever her name was she made it very clear saying abruptly "This is a great inconvenience for me" I dont give out pain killers willy nilly?!!! you need to exercise work through the pain. I cant remember everything but her tone and attitude was disgraceful.

My daughter needed her bi polar tablets and a doctors certificate. "I dont give out anti depressanta you need to change your mind set focus on the positive and if ive time at the end of this as i thought i was only dealing with your back problem i may write you a doctors note but only if i have time".

I couldnt believe what i was hearing and sat there not saying a word i was stunned.
Sorry im doing this on my phone and its gone wrong. I keep losing the thread. Just needed to vent.

When i got home it sunk in and i just went to pieces. Thankfully my daughter is fine about it but im not.what chance have we got when we are up against doctors like that. If i wasnt there i wouldnt have believed it. Its set me back months as i feel i failed my daughter by not speaking out. What kind of mother does that.

I and we as a family have had non stop major stress for fove
trafficklights
UKFM Member

Re: Traumatized after visiting daughters new doctor

Postby trafficklights » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:16 pm

Please ignore the last line.
trafficklights
UKFM Member

Postby Roseofsharon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:27 pm

:hugs: Doctors are just people it is possible that this doctor was indeed just having a bad time, however there is no excuse for her attitude, whatsoever! Is this your daughters usual doctor? It seems strange that if it was she would treat your daughter in such a way. If you are still unsatisfied and angry you could still write a letter of complaint to your daughters GP surgery, and they can deal with the doctor themselves, and if still no joy then to the local health authority who is above the GP surgery.

You have not failed your daughter by not speaking out. indeed it is you were very supportive of your daughter even to be there.
Roseofsharon
UKFM Member

Postby trafficklights » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:45 pm

Thankyou Roseofsharon.

No it was the first time my daughter had seen this doctor and the second time she had been to that surgery.
We live in rental accommodation and we have had to move a few times because the owners have wanted to sell their property so every time we move we have to change doctors because we are out of their duristriction.

In other surgeries you have to see the doctor that is available this doctor to be fair said that she should have seen the doctor who saw her the first time. My daughter didn't know that and told the doctor so.

I suppose to be fair the doctor seemed like she was on the brink of a breakdown herself. They are only human I realise that.

Once I am more rational I will write to her telling her how her attitude affected us but I never want to see her again.
I still can't quite believe it myself it seems like a horrible nightmare.
trafficklights
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi

:evil: I would write a letter of complaint, even if she was having a bad day she had no right to take it out on your daughter :nono:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby denys » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Definitely complain start with the practice manager :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby trafficklights » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:43 pm

Thank you everyone. I do try and look at life on both sides as I know I'm not always right. It is good to get other peoples view on things and take a step back. This time I will complain and write to the practice manager.
trafficklights
UKFM Member

Postby Sazzle » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Yes complain to the practice manager, that is part of their job, good for you for getting proactive.

I was registered with one GP at the practice but always saw one of the others as he was the one who saw me the first time I had to go in for a repeat prescription, I liked him so tried to see him again.

My registered GP constantly messes up prescriptions for both me and my patients. I had to see him in a professional capacity one day and was surprised he was fit to practice as he tried to give my lady the wrong medication as they are similar names (sodium valproate instead of Semi Sodium Valproate) I even said the trade names to him but he eventually rang the pharmacy who put him straight!

I spoke to the GP I like and he said he would move me to his list, bless his heart he didn't press the right button so it didn't work so got another messed up repeat. I then spoke to the reception lady, getting the dragon who many have complained about and it took me going in twice for her to actually change it. She fussed about til I suggested she speak to nice GP if she wanted to check he was ok with it.

The GP you saw was completely unprofessional. I work in the community with mental health patients and we don't have sole responsibility for them so if I am having a bad day, my empathy bucket for someone is running dry, I ask a colleague to see them instead as don't want to snap at them and destroy years of a good therapeutic relationship. If I do need to see them I apologise in advance and say I am having a bad day but would NEVER take it out on them.
Alannis Morisette if you don't want those 10,000 spoons I have a knife, wanna swap?
Sazzle
UKFM Member

Postby tentimes » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:45 pm

The trouble with doctors is that because WE the patients treat them with so much respect, most of them have a horrible god complex. I worked for various doctors over the years, and I wouldn't be inviting many of them to a party I can tell you. Mostly arrogant, even if they don't know it, and the decent ones are a minority. You should hear the way they talked about patients too in the staff room.

For GP's anyway, I don't think many of them are satisfied with what they do. Maybe it's because they deal with the public, I don't know, but the years I spent in GP's surgeries I would rather forget.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Postby trafficklights » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:40 pm

I know its no excuse but the surgery my daughter goes to is also a walk in centre in the centre of a large town. My husband was waiting outside and he said all the people going in looked like down and outs (poor things) alcoholics and drug users. They are always busy and apparently they have security on the door on certain days. Unbelieveable.
trafficklights
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services