gp refusing referal to hosp

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

gp refusing referal to hosp

Postby kimmii » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

I was diagnosed 10 years ago and after the first 2 appointments i was passed over to gp care, since then i have been back many times and been told if my drugs dont help with the pain take more, have physio but the physio said she couldnt help, im told my problems are caused by my weight.
I also have arthritis in my knees and they cause me alot of pain when walking. I have been really struggling with work i only do 25 hours but need to reduce them so i asked if i could be referred back to the hosp ( i want to apply for DLA but my gp never backs me up) and now he has refused to refer me as states he cant see what im going to get out of the visit to hosp.
Can i ask for a visit myself or do i need to change my gp?
kimmii
UKFM Member

Re: gp refusing referal to hosp

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:34 pm

I think you may be better seeing a different GP. If there isn't a more helpful one at your surgery then you should consider changing to a different one. Maybe get in touch with the ones in your area and ask how they would approach the treatment of someone with FM, if the answer sounds favourable, then it might be worth giving them a try to see what happens.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby kimmii » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 pm

thats a good idea , thank you im not sure they will allow me to transfer into another gp at same surgury but will ring around and see if i can get an insight into other gp's.
kimmii
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:51 pm

You can see any other GP at your surgery you wish. When we sign up to a surgery they do appoint us a random GP as our 'official' Dr. But I've seen my official Dr 4 times, and 4 others Drs once each too. I'm now sticking to the 4th of the latter as he sorted out a referral for me that mine wouldn't.

You just ring and say 'I'd like to see Dr X please'. You could also ask anyone else you know in the area for a recommendation. My new one was recommended to me. A handy thing I've found is to sign up for online booking through Emis Access. That way you can see which Drs have the least available appointments - they tend to be the best ones so everyone books with them. The worst Dr I've seen at my surgery is nearly always available within 2 days. My new GP can't be seen for over a month. It speaks volumes.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby kimmii » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:00 am

thank you so much i can hardly walk today so im going to call and see another gp i saw after my op who signed me off when my gp insisted i went back to work.
kimmii
UKFM Member

Postby shazq » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:12 pm

:goodluck1: at the docs, sorry to hear you are in lots of pain and having trouble walking hope you get to see a different doc.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby kimmii » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:25 pm

thank you xx
kimmii
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services