Good GP in Yeovil area?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Good GP in Yeovil area?

Postby Nellyphant » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 am

Morning all

I want to change GP as mine is become more and more rubbish. It took 10 years to get a fibro diagnosis after being told for all that time I was depressed. I even gave up work 8 years ago as I couldn't cope anymore but didn't fight for a dx. So partly my fault for now being assertive enough but I always just gave my faith to the GP, after all they didn't do 7 years at medical school for nothing.

However, now whenever I go to him with something new or something I'm concerned about he sort of fobs me off or puts it all down to fibro.

Lost faith now and I don't want to see him as I see it a waste of time. He is a solo GP in his practice (village practice) so can't even see a different GP there. Does anyone live in my area and can recommend a GP?

Or how do I find out about finding a GP who understands fibro a bit more.

Thanks.
Nellyphant
UKFM Member

Re: Good GP in Yeovil area?

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:12 am

I don't live in your area but I sympathise.

I would do a google search for GP practices and your postcode. When I first moved to London my boyfriend and I registered at a practice with two GPs - a husband and wife. So a bit awkward if you wanted a second opinion. His parents googled our postcode for Drs surgeries and found that there were 4 in our area. We registered with the largest and had no problems after that.

If there are any Fibro or CFS/ME support groups in your area you could try contacting them - they may be able to recommend specific GPs to you who are sympathetic to Fibro and invisible illnesses.

I think to some extent many GPs will do the 'yes, but you have Fibro' thing but we also need to have one who goes in with an open mind too.

Since I've moved back with my parents I've been repeatedly dismissed by my GP, he supported my ESA and DLA applications though so I didn't criticise, even though he was refusing to run tests my Rheumy requested last year. Then my Counsellor told me to try a different GP at my surgery and gave me a specific name. I saw him and I'm now referred to a new Rheumy and told it looks like I have Psoriatic Arthritis which is an autoimmune disease similar to Rheumatoid Arthritis. But everyone else I saw dismissed the symptoms as Fibro or 'we'll just wait and see a bit longer'. So it really is important to find one which will consider that people can have multiple medical problems and that everything isn't always Fibro :nono:

If you do find another surgery then you can always ask the receptionist if any GP has a particular interest in Fibro. Also, if you sign up to internet booking you can see which GPs are the most popular, and the least popular. My new GP has at least a month long waiting list. The worst GP I've seen there has a 2 day waiting list. It's a good way to see which ones are trusted by other patients, and which ones aren't.

A good GP is a god send. I hope you manage to find a surgery nearby with more GPs to choose from, and a good GP who knows about Fibro :fingerscrossed:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services