GP appointment today

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

GP appointment today

Postby Katblack » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:08 pm

I don't know how many other ways I can say to my Gp, help I am in pain. He is ok, better than any of the others I have seen.
I am in a lot of pain in my lower Spine related to other health issues unrelated to FM.
He refuses point blank to give out anymore than 100 x 15mg Codeine at a time and won't increase the dose, I figured if they gave me 90 x 30mg they would last me 30 days.
I asked for some thing for breakthrough pain for when they don't work, something I can take now and then and he said 'No, we only give out breakthrough pain meds to terminally ill patients, if you need breakthough meds then the meds we are giving you are not working' I said precisely, that's why I am here cos these meds are not working. I told him I am sick to death of taking pills, and fed up with being in pain but I just get the feeling he doesn't know what to do or how else to help me. In the end all he has done is up my Gabapentin to 400mg x 3 times a day, but I'm not sure if its going to help as I'm not sure if the pain I am getting is nerve pain, it feels like an internal pressure and if I don't move then my whole spine is going to just snap into 2 across where the pain is at the bottom(I know it won't happen, that's just how it feels), I also get a LOT of muscular pain across my shoulders which I think is related to the Fibro.

I won't harm myself, but I am really fed up, I feel like giving up and taking to my bed
Is it too much to be asked to be treated Holistically?

What/where do I go next?
I have a physio appt this afternoon to do with my back, but no idea how I am supposed to exercise when I am in so much pain.
Kat x

Scoliosis, 2 major spinal surgeries, DDD in neck and lumbar spine, Spondylolisthesis, HMS and now FM!
"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by." - Douglas Adams.
Katblack
UKFM Member

Re: GP appointment today

Postby shazq » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi
Sorry to hear you are in so much pain, have you another GP in your surgery who you could see?
if not i would think about changing docs as having an understanding fibro gp makes a big difference.

Hopefully the increase in the gaba`s might help but if you dont feel any difference in a couple of weeks i would go back again and if you dont get anywhere find another gp.

Here is a link of different meds used to treat fibro, you could show him this and ask if you could try something else on the list, it is on the HNS web site so he cant say the drug is not for fibro. :lol:

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... tment.aspx

In the mean time have you tried a Tens machine? or wheat bags for your pain, they might help. :hugs: :goodluck1:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

GP appointment today

Postby HunnyBunny71 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi Katblack *waves* & ((hugs))

Have you been referred to an orthopaedic consultant for your back pain at all? The reason I ask is that both my brother and mother have had prolapsed discs in their lower backs which compressed nerves and the spinal cord and the pain you are describing sounds similar to that.

They both had to have MRI scans to confirm this and have both had surgery to remove the offending discs.

The FM is obviously making your pain worse, but it may be worth visiting another GP to ask their opinion and a referral to the ortho consultant.

Hope you get some sense from whoever you see hun xxx
HunnyBunny71
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:54 pm

I can also recommend wheat bags - you just pop em in the microwave for a few mins and they stay warm for ages, really good for soothing aching muscles. If you get a long thin one it's great for back pain as you can lay it between your back and the chair back. Or even lie on it.

I think it is worth seeing another GP, never hurts to get a second opinion and a different one may be happy to prescribe something. When I first came down with Fibro I saw a GP twice who refused to give me prescription painkillers and told me to take Ibuprofen (I'm allergic to Ibuprofen, she said to take it anyway as she'd never heard of someone being allergic too it...). So I tried a different one a few days later and she was happy to prescribe me something for it.

Some GPs are more sympathetic than others so it's worth shopping around for a bit and trying several to see what they're like.

Hope you can get some relief soon :hugs:
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby e777 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi there,
I do two things to prepare for each visit to a doctor. The first thing I do is keep a graph of my pain scores, or even just a record of pain levels over time. This also helps me to see what is making the pain worse.
The second thing I do is make a list of all the things I want to talk to him about. I do this on computer so that I can easily change the order to ensure I get to discuss the most important issues. It also shows my doctor that I'm being proactive about my health and he takes my pain seriously.
Hope it works for you.
Eileen
e777
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:11 am

give teh gapapentins a chance but it is worth researching them and teh codeine to see what doses you can go up to, thats what i did, then go back to dr and ask to up doeses if ok.

i take 30mg codeine and 600mg gabas so check with dr.

i also have diclofenac and paracetamol but then there alot of other meds people take as well, i also have tramadol for days like today when i have been out and been in pain ever since.

just check everything with your dr first.
hope you can get some control soon, got physio to refer me to hydro and that has helped my back and i also swim when i can about once a week at least.

:-) :crazy: :crazy:
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Return to Doctors & Health Services