Bad time at the Doctors today

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby tambo86 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi all,
Today I plucked up the courage to go and see my GP to discuss the pain I've been getting and to ask if it was Fibro related or possibly something else. I told the locum that I had fibro and watched a huge smirking grin appear across his face. I then asked him if the pain I was experiencing in my feet, knees and hips could be fibro related or possibly anything else. He looked at me, and said 'well there are a group of people who believe that Fibromyalgia isn't a medical condition but a psycological condition and in America they don't believe it exists' Well I was shocked and disgusted at his response and through my tears did tell him that my rheumy had warned me about some GP's refusing to believe in it. I told him to contact my Rheumy if he felt it was all in my head.
He didn't even examine my feet, legs or hip and said that yes he felt it must be Fibro. He also told me more than once that Fibro wasn't a condition that could be diagnosed but eliminated until it couldn't be anything else. He smirked when I asked if he was one of the GP's that my Rheumy had warned me about and said he wasn't, but the smirk gave him away.
He told me to reduce my Gabapentin (currently on 1800-2400mg) and take paracetamol.
I told him that I work and am on my feet a lot but he really didn't seem bothered. Needless to say I left there in floods of tears and called in sick for the rest of the day.
I'm fuming as feel he judged me and to be honest I want to go back and kick him all over until he feels the pain that I am feeling. I did ask him if his dismissive way was due to the fact that he felt I was after being signed off work or wanting a blue badge - he couldn't even look me in the eyes when I asked him this. I went to get checked out and get medication but left feeling totally deflated and judged.
I just wanted to rant to like-minded people. Thanks.
tambo86
UKFM Newbie

Re: Bad time at the Doctors today

Postby joey40 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:46 pm

hey, thats absolutly disgustging. is your usual gp supportive?, if so id be telling him what was said at that appointment. i would definalty be writing a letter of complaint to th practice manager. nobody should be treated in thiis way.absolutly shocking..

stay positive

joey
joey40
UKFM Member

Postby Mozza » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:14 pm

I totally agree with joey40' that's disgusting behaviour from a so called professional. I hope he never has to suffer the pain we have. How to they even qualify with stinking attitudes like his. I hope you have the courage to complain and go to someone who listens and believes you. Gentle cyber hugs to you xxm
Mozza
UKFM Member

Postby Lesley-Ann » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:59 pm

I'd report him, locum or not, no doctor should treat a patient like that. :nono:

As for his statements about Fibro and the US, a small minority might feel/believe that way, FMS is still a 'real' medical disease/condition. It's even registered with the centre for disease control. He's sprouting out obscure beliefs not medical facts when GP and medical professionals are supposed to base all treatment on facts not individual beliefs of individual people. :evil:

It's a shame that so many people, including unfortunately medical professionals, seem to listen to basically gossip rather than grounding their treatment/opinions in real medical facts. It's been a long hard struggle for those of us living with Fibro in all it's vibrant reality to get our disorder/disease recognised, it's a shame so many others out there want to turn the clocks back to the FMS stone age.

Regardless, even if it was a psychological problem, the patient living with it is entitled to medical treatment and medications should she/he require them just as much as anyone with an non-psychological problem. So that argument/belief doesn't hold up logically.

Obviously likes the sound of his own arrogant voice. Oh dear am I being uninformed and basing my reaction on gossip as well. Potato Patatoh!! :roll:
Lesley-Ann
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:45 pm

How come most of the research into FM is actually carried out by the americans and Australians then, if the USA doesnt believe it exists then why research the condition, he's talking out of his pants. As has already been said report him to your usual GP and ask them about your problems :evil:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby shazq » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi
Sorry to hear about your bad time with the locum, i agree with the others make a complaint and let them know how upset this doc make you feel.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
Fibromyalgia Awareness Day May 12TH.
shazq
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:47 pm

If he thinks the pain is FM related, then why suggest reducing your Gabapentin??? If the pain is bad, then surely an increase in them would be more sensible :-? :-? :-? He sounds very strange, and something definitely needs to be done about his attitude and approach :nono: :nono: :nono:

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby tambo86 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:22 pm

Thank you all. I have calmed down now and will be making another appointment to see another GP. I will speak to to the manager and complain but sometimes I get sick of having to complain and stick up for myself. Sometimes I'd like someone else to take over and do it for me - but I will be brave and do it. I do agree FluppyPuffy, that telling me to reduce my Gabapentin doesn't sound right, especially as I've had it increased recently, which he would have seen had he bothered to read my notes.

Thank you all for your advice and kind words.
tambo86
UKFM Newbie

Postby difly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi tambo reading your experience of bad time at the dr sounds very familiar , why are they insensitive ? thier attitudes can be awful , thankfully when I went to see the rhuemy they were understanding and did show empathy ,I am considering changing my gp but then worry if the next one will have a knowledge of fibro ,??? since diagnosis of fibro if i havnt moaned ive had to keep chipin away to make myself heared .onwards and upwards stay strong xx
difly
UKFM Member

Postby Judy S » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:20 pm

Oh dear ... what a horrible man. :(

I would have left in tears, too, and felt much the same as you. I can't understand some doctors - even if it's psychological he should be treating it!! As it is, so he doesn't believe in fibro? Well, fine, he's entitled to his medical opinion ... but, in that case, what DOES he think you're suffering from? Shouldn't he be investigating, rather than reducing your meds and sending you home in tears?

I bet he was young and hadn't suffered much in the way of chronic pain in his life. :evil:
Judy S
UKFM Member

Postby tabithakat64 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Your experience is one of the reasons I am dreading a diagnosis of Fibro as well as ME. Sometimes I wish I could give people who do not believe that I am phsically ill my life for a week and then see if they want to tell me I'm just a bit tried or it's all in my head.

I suspect the doctor you saw watched the video where an American neurologist said Fibro shouldn't be treated with pain killers etc as it is all in the suffers mind.

I hope you have better luck with your usual GP :)
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Postby sjc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 pm

Hi there, when I read your story I could have understood where you are coming from - it is very frustrating to hear a medical professional says such horrid comments....had a few medical professionals be not very friendly to me myself, so I can understand why you are upset.....I would seriously make a complaint to the manager of the doctor you have saw....to me, this doctor sounds like he is basing his facts on opinion and his comments was abit personal .....Even this fibro cannot be detected by blood tests/x-rays. etc...it is a geniune disability and cripples many people, and unless that doctor has suffered fibro himself, he shouldn't be making personal opinions on it.....so complain and let us hope that your complaint makes him aware that he shouldn't talk to patients in such a manner....all the best....take care. xxxx
Sick of being sick, if you know what I mean. Anger keeps me going! I love campaigning for the rights of those with hidden disabilities. Enjoys talking to other like minded people - well, if you are sane, anyway :)
sjc
UKFM Member

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:27 pm

What an absolute.... I can't say the word I want to use on hear. Please feel free to insert your own amusing swear word in your head when reading.

I would definitely report him. Aside from his nasty attitude he's also not very bright...

He looked at me, and said 'well there are a group of people who believe that Fibromyalgia isn't a medical condition but a psycological condition and in America they don't believe it exists'

Firstly - Psychological conditions ARE medical conditions. An illness doesn't have to be physical to be a medical matter.

Secondly - in America they very much do believe that Fibromyalgia exists. Lots of research on Fibro comes from the States as Denys pointed out. Bit strange for a country which doesn't believe Fibro exists to spend money and other resources studying it.

Sounds like someone graduated from the Dr Nick Riviera school of Medicine 'that lady swallowed a baby' (if you're not a Simpsons fan he's a Quack who looks at a picture of a baby in utero and says that)
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:34 pm

I would go as far as contacting the General medical council! as fibro IS a recognised illness and regardless to HIS opinion he must treat you.

Wouldnt like to think how many others he has been mis treating and whom are not gettin the support/meds and care they need

Sorry to hear you have been through this experience

http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/index.asp
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Return to Doctors & Health Services