AAAAGGGHHHH DOCTORS!!!!!

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

AAAAGGGHHHH DOCTORS!!!!!

Postby crazycat36 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:22 pm

today i went to my gp just to check in with her, as id been at rhyuemy 2 weeks ago where i was givien a big dose of steroid injection which has been fantastic i was so like my old self that in 2 weeks ive lost 1stone in wait as i had the energy to do stuff like i used to and as this was my second dose from rhyuemy i thought id ask gp if i could hav regular injections or tablets as i felt so much better for it, but she just wont do it and i didnt mind to much as im due bk at rhyuemy in july which would mean my kids would hav there old mum bk for some of the hols at least.

but unfortunatlly for me i came home to loads of post and there hiding in amongs bills was one from rhyuemy and as they had done bloods and xrays last time i just thought it was about that but no someone in there wisdom has changed my appointment to november instead so now im going to wait AGES for another boost that unfortunatlly only lasts for a couple of weeks but although the dr told me lots of reasons why im better off not going on steroids long term i still feel for me they work wonders and isnt it better for my heart and everything else to keep moving with help of steroids rather than sittin/lyiing about feeling sorry for myself and not using muscles.

so anyway im bk home now bk to usual amount of pain and really annoyed so thought id share the brilliance of drs here, one dont mind giving me steroids everytime i see him the other refuses point blank even though my quality of life was greatlly improved.

life sucks!!!!!
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Re: AAAAGGGHHHH DOCTORS!!!!!

Postby denys » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Have you rung the Rheumy's secretary to ask why they have moved your appointment to November and ask if it would be possible for you to just go in and get the injection from a nurse if he cant see you as it gives you so much relief for a short spell of time?????? :dunno: but it must be worth the cost of a phone call to try :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Ldyalb » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:34 pm

I agree, worth a try. It might be possible to get the injection from a Nurse at your GP surgery if they're qualified to use the steroids. They can also come in tablet form (I think, I'm not 100% though) so perhaps that could be an option?

I can see why they don't want to use them long term as they can be nasty, but it does seem a shame to leave you without for 7 months or so if they're making such an improvement on your wellbeing.
'Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy' - Anne Frank

TMJ, RLS, HMS, Fibro, Dyspraxia - ASD + Dyscalculia overlap, Eczema + Rosacea + suspected Psoriatic Arthritis.

Being an Adult is nothing like it said in the brochure...!
Ldyalb
UKFM Regular

Postby crazycat36 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:24 am

thanks tried phoning secretary but she said there is absolutlly no way i can get an earlier appointment and that he wont authorise either steroid injections or tablets till hes fully discussed it with me and tried a host of other things first.

nurse at gp wont give injection of steroids unless dr has ok'd it so looks like im stuck in limbo again till i get bk to rhyeumy its just so frustrating as ive found summit that really helps although i do appreciate the health risks involved and can fully understand why there not keen on giving me regular steroids, just gets me down last week i was thinking if i can get on steroids full time i might even manage to get bk to work, and now thats been snatched away again as quickly as i thought about it, ive always been a worker until i was left wi my 4 kids to bring up alone and they were all so young so had to go onto benefits but was looking forward to my son going to school and was deciding if i wanted to retrain and to what when i got struck down wi fibro about a yr before he was at school for 14yrs ive been stcuk at home and although i did everything i could to b super mum before i was ill i still felt i was missing out by not working and these days i cant even say im trying to b super mum, most of the time im just feel like a total waste of space, with the kids needing me less and less and just pottering around all day as before fibro i was always a hard grafter, these days i cant even keep my house as tidy as it used to b even though the kids help loads, sorry but it just gets me so down, think im grieving for the old me that i discovered is all gone and certianly isnt forgotten and the one thing that helps drs arent willing to give me to drastically improve my quality of life
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:16 am

Keep your chin up and remember you arent a waste of space, ask you GP to refer you to some of the life style change courses it helps you to just get out of the house and mix with others who are also looking to improve their quality of life. It gives you something to look forward to and to do things you enjoy :fingerscrossed: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby retep » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 pm

I'm sure a lot of the problems about giving medication is related to money.
retep
UKFM Member

Postby wobblywoman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:49 am

Oral steroids really, really helped me too crazycat! i felt 1000% better on them. But, like you, doc said no way to puttin me on them long term :( I keep a few tucked away in the bottom the medicine cabinet for emergencies (long car journeys etc) or unbearable flare-ups. Hope you feel a bit brighter soon xxx
wobblywoman
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 pm

thanks for ur support, unfortunatlly mine werent oral so couldnt keep some for bad times, counting the days till i go bk to ruemy to fight for my old life all b it with pain but have energy something is better than nothing and ill keep pestering gp every time i see her aswell im not giving up on my 1 and only bit of relief ive had in 6yrs NO WAY
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby lizbet » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:43 am

Ive had a similar experience. One doc in practice will give me them but my own wont. My own says they put your bp up and I have a prob lem with that so I can understand that but Ive had them at holiday time for the past 6 years and theyve made such a diffrence but cos of my bp theyve said I cant have them again. I dont know how Im going to manage wihout them.
The are brilliant but mmy sister who has RA and has been on them for years in high doses has ostoeporisis now cos of them so I can understand why some docs wont give them. But surely in small doses now and then wont cause any probs and what about quality of life?
I also think money has a lot to do with it!! :nono: !!xx
lizbet
UKFM Member

Postby animalhouse » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:42 pm

i had this problem whhen i moved last year and had to get a new gp.

other referred me regularly back to rheumy now this new one was all let me check medical records, etc then will see.

so not had a rferral in over a year. :(
animalhouse
UKFM Regular

Postby tentimes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:59 pm

denys wrote:Keep your chin up and remember you arent a waste of space, ask you GP to refer you to some of the life style change courses it helps you to just get out of the house and mix with others who are also looking to improve their quality of life. It gives you something to look forward to and to do things you enjoy :fingerscrossed: :hugs: :hugs:

I''ll second that one. I went on a "chronic pain management" course but was deeply sceptical about it. It did me wonders though. I learned a trick or two and really looked forward to each week seeing human beings who knew exactly what I was going through and getting a good natter. It really did make a lasting difference to me.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services