Im at a lost please help

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Im at a lost please help

Postby mummy2427 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:30 pm

:(

Hello

I went to see my GP today as my fibromyalgia seems to have got alot worse since i last saw him and asked him if there was any other apin relief i could take maybe a 12 hourly tablet that would b topped with my co-codomal and was told there wasnt anything else i would try. I showed him the list of medications i got from the NHS website and he just shook his head :evil: . I have came away feeling very fed up and in alot of pain.

I know some of you may say to change surgeries or doctors but the GP i currently go to is the nicest one at my surgery and i have just moved to the area so do not want all the hassle of getting paperwork etc together just to go through the same procedure all over again. I feel like crying right now i am fed up. Can someone please help me as this is not me i do not do gettin down in the dumps. :cry:

Thanks xx
mummy2427
UKFM Member

Re: Im at a lost please help

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Altho this one may be the nicest one in the surgery, he doesn't seem to be particularly understanding or helpful. When someone is having a problem like you're going thru, suggesting trying a different GP at the surgery or consider changing surgeries is the usual advice that is given I'm afraid :facepalm: :facepalm:

Have you thought of asking the receptionist/admin people if there is a GP at your surgery that has experience of dealing with chronic pain conditions like FM???? If there is, altho they may not have seemed particularly nice on first impressions, seeing them for a problem they have experience of treating may well change your opinion of them, as well as get you the treatment and understanding you need when trying to manage FM.

Not sure what else you could do I'm afraid :facepalm: :facepalm:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby *Lisa* » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:17 am

Doctors should treat the symptoms of fibro.

So you should have been able to discuss another pain relever or swopped the codiene for something else that maybe of benefit to you.

There IS many other medications like you showed him that ARE licenced for fibro so he shouldnt have let you go without some form of help.

I would suggest seeing another GP at the surgery and if that does not help then speak to the practice manager to see why you are being refused pain relief.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby tentimes » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:10 pm

What your GP is probably going on is his experience of treating people with chronic pain, and the merry-go-round of trying different medications. That doesn't make him right. My experience of this, as a very well informed patient who reads a lot of peer-review papers on FB, is that it takes a lot of trial and error to find what works and what doesn't.

What I do, and I don't know if this will help, is I bring along the evidence before I ask for something. She seemed to respond better to this. I don't bring internet clippings, I make sure I get authoritative sources.

Another thing I do is that I keep a daily score from 1-10 of mood and pain, with notes beside a day if there is something important going on. I put all this in a graph (using Excel) and this was the evidence that she eventually accepted meant that my condition did not relate to mood. It also means I can point to periods where I have tried something before and show the difference in pain scores, or to the contrary things that aren't working.

I suppose what I am saying is that *you* are the expert in this. Don't assume your doctor knows better than you do about what will work or not. But they take some convincing.

Try not to take it personally. I know what it means to come back from the Doctors feeling put-down. I don't come back feeling like that any more though. I think this is because I nolonger see them as the expert in my condition. The fact is that doctors just don't have a clue about FB at the moment. Maybe in 20 years time, but at the moment they just haven't a clue (and that's the exact phrase my friend used, she's a doctor in a hospital who is still doing research).

I really hope that you find some information to help. These boards are a good place for that I think.
tentimes
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services