Blood tests?

Anything to do with the NHS or Private Healthcare.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Blood tests?

Postby SACHE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:37 pm

After getting my diagnosis on the 18th I was given some forms and asked to get a blood test at my local surgery. I finally went yesterday. I told the nurse I had been diagnosed with fibro and she said 'Oh you will be coming in for 3 monthly blood tests then?' I had no clue, the rheumatologist didn't say anything about seeing me again or anything, just that she would post the results of my xrays! She mentioned testing for antibodies. So I presume that is what the blood test is for. The nurse was puzzled over that too saying what was written on there usually meant one small vial of blood, but she decided because it was in a different box that she would take a larger one too. SO now I am wondering what it all means? Will I need 3 monthly tests? I know I did for my thyroid at first. And what is the confusion over how much and where to send it? Do I ring the surgery for my results or will I get a letter from the rheumatologist? They contact you if they find anything don't they? Also (sorry for all the questions) if you get a stiff back with fibro why xray? I was supposed to get a leaflet about fibro but it hasn't arrived and I was hoping I could show it to my family. Sorry for the garble and lots of questions.
SACHE
UKFM Member

Re: Blood tests?

Postby masonsbarms » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:43 pm

hi dont know any of the answers only to say the information sheet i got
of my rhumy was rubbish

i printed of this site lots more information and easyer for your family to see what it dose to you
sorry i cant help more xx
masonsbarms
UKFM Regular

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:50 pm

SACHE wrote:After getting my diagnosis on the 18th I was given some forms and asked to get a blood test at my local surgery. I finally went yesterday. I told the nurse I had been diagnosed with fibro and she said 'Oh you will be coming in for 3 monthly blood tests then?' I had no clue, the rheumatologist didn't say anything about seeing me again or anything, just that she would post the results of my xrays! She mentioned testing for antibodies. So I presume that is what the blood test is for. The nurse was puzzled over that too saying what was written on there usually meant one small vial of blood, but she decided because it was in a different box that she would take a larger one too. SO now I am wondering what it all means? Will I need 3 monthly tests? I know I did for my thyroid at first. And what is the confusion over how much and where to send it? Do I ring the surgery for my results or will I get a letter from the rheumatologist? They contact you if they find anything don't they? Also (sorry for all the questions) if you get a stiff back with fibro why xray? I was supposed to get a leaflet about fibro but it hasn't arrived and I was hoping I could show it to my family. Sorry for the garble and lots of questions.

Im just going on fibro not your personal circumstances...

Will I need 3 monthly tests?

NO BUT some GP's like to monitor bloods maybe yearly or so if your not lucky to have that GP then you will only need bloods if your symptoms worsen or new sypmtoms arise.

And what is the confusion over how much and where to send it?

Not a clue. Blood tests are only to rule out any underlining conditions its not to diagnose fibro so bloods should go off to any normal lab for testing

Do I ring the surgery for my results or will I get a letter from the rheumatologist?

If there is a problem your surgey or rheumi will call you but you can call up if you wish. You dont normaly hear anything if all is ok.

if you get a stiff back with fibro why xray?

They dont :-? unless they feel you have another condition they are ruling out.

If your still confused you can always call your surgery or the rhuemi's secretary for info
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby SACHE » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Thank you :-D That sorts my questions out nicely :-D xxx
SACHE
UKFM Member

Return to Doctors & Health Services